1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger 380 LCP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wanderer, Apr 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanderer

wanderer Member

Saw a thread on here about not dry firing the Ruger 380. However, the instructions do not say anything about not dry firing it. Any info re: this that is not in instruction manual? Thanks, GEG.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

My dad just bought one. Couldn't find anything in the manual about not dry firing either. I think the deal is that the trigger isn't a traditional double action, where you can pull the trigger over and over again and the hammer will fall each time, it is more like the glock system where you have to re-rack the slide to cock the gun again.

3. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

LCP 380 is a great hand gun. I know lot of stores have long waiting list for it.

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

We're backordered to the tune of fifteen of the things. Second problem is we can'g get ammo for them either.

Something's out of whack here in the good old USA.

5. TimT

TimT TS Member

Not sure. I have had my LCP for sometime now. However, when in doubt don't do it. Snap cap = 10 bucks. New Gun/Gun Repair = more then 10 bucks.

6. art g

art g Member

Just get a S&W snub J Frame and a pocket holster...always carry it in your front pocket every minute of every day and be done with it. A .380 will just get you killed......

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I like my double stack Browning BDA 14 shot .380 ACP. I keep it loaded with Federal hydra shock's.

A little thick and heavy for a .380 but it has a 4 " barrel and is reasonably accurate out to 25 yards. It feels good in my hand.

I have tried some of the smaller .380's and, except for the Walther model, I don't care for the very small .32 or .380 pistols.

Every Ruger I have owned has been rock solid.

Ed Ward

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

I have one that went back for the recall and now is back at Ruger. When you load one in and fire it the next one that is chambered has about an 1/8" ding in the nose of the bullet. I have tried several different brands of shells and even reloads do it.

If you have one try and see if yours does the same thing. Two of my friends have the same problem. All have been sent back look for another possible recall as a bunch of folks have the same thing according to 2 distributors????? Just passing info on the distributors true or not????

Not a good thing to take that kind of hit on a hollow point.

9. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

The LCP is right up there quality wise with the Kel Tec and it appears so far that reliablity is about the same too. Some work, some don't. For the money places are charging for them, you could have a G26 for not much more money.

As for the revolver thing, all the people that go on about how a revolver will never jam, have never carried and shot one as part of their job. They'll jam and quit just like anything else and some of the older Smith's would lock up quicker than most autos I've ever seen if they got any amount of something under the ejector star. Put one up against most any current auto and they'll stop working long before the auto does.

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Mallardfilmore:

I'll put up $500.00! My S&W 686 against your pistol in an endurance test.
    I live in Minnesota.

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

My owner's manual has red-lettered warnings not to dry-fire...not sure what you guys are seeing?

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

EE, that's what I had to be "induced" to do. When I bought mine, I triple-checked the chamber, pointed it at the floor then dry-fired it...right before the dealer reached across the counter and showed me the multiple warnings in the manual *not* to dry-fire it...(0.75 seconds after I had already done it).

Gulp (embarrassment)...OK, on new gun designs I'm not familiar with, I'm going to read the f'er FIRST from now on, lesson learned.

(The one slip-up doesn't seem to have hurt the functioning, though).

13. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

art g, I agree that the s&w J frame is an excellent choice, particularly with the CTC laser grips, but please explain how the .380 "will just get you killed". Would you be willing to stand in front of one filled with hydra shocks to prove your point to the rest of us? Do you know of someone dusting themselves off and walking away after getting drilled with a .380 center mass? Didn't think so.

14. blowin smoke

blowin smoke TS Member

"...the perp runs out the door...before expiring." Was the patron shooting hydra shocks or FMJ? Yes, crack and pcp can perpetuate the inevitable, but the only one "who got killed" in this case - was the perp. Given the choice of carrying a .380 that is comfortable to you for whatever reason or leaving a more uncomfortable gun sitting a shelf - carry the .380. I keep a .45 on my night stand, but found myself not carrying it as many places due to the size, etc. Again, my question is simply, would you want to stand in front of one to prove their ineffectiveness?

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

Well it looks like many dont need to have guns. What good is the damn owners manual if you cant read? The ruger and kel tec are both trash. If you NEED it and it fails its too light to use as a rock. A s for mill fil I have shot wheel guns for 45yrs I have never had one fail If it was in good shape. The dirt under the star yes but if its a carry gun and loaded there is no way anything can get in there. Try an auto when the gun is dropped in water and then it freezes

16. mallardfilmore

mallardfilmore TS Member

Skybuster, find some folks who really do a lot of shooting (that'd be in the neigborhood of 500 rounds per session and do that every week) and tell them your bet against the Glock. They'll tell you you'd be making a bad bet. If you're wanting to do that, you don't shoot the revolver very much.

EE: Since the incident you talk about you don't carry anything less than a .40? We had a shooting that ocurred at less than 8'. Perp shot through the center of the chest, through the arms and into the torso and one that traversed the length of the torso from top to bottom. Bad guy still lived to go to jail. Bigger really doesn't mean anything and the .40, based on what I've looked at for shootings, really isn't a very good round. So far, the 9mm has been a better performer but in the end, remember they are all pistol rounds and are all pretty dismal for reliable stopping power.

17. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

They say the same thing about a 223, seems that the DC sniper had 11 out of 12 one shot kills. May be that it depends a lot on who's holding the business end. Was at a bar when a 1 shot kill came from a little old .25 acp. May help to prove the point.

18. wanderer

wanderer Member

Buzz-gun:

Was your gun a pre-recall, or post re-call? Also, where in instructions did you find the "no dry fire". Page number would help. Thanks, GEG.

19. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

my LPC left factory on 2-5-09 manual says nothing about do not dry fire

jpark

20. Robb

Robb Member

Are you saying that dry firing is ok after the update? Nothing in my manual and nothing from Ruger when gun returned about dry fire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.