1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger 380 LCP

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by primer, Jan 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. primer

primer TS Member

Can anyone tell me about this gun. Has any one shot one> Thanks

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Very similar to the Kel Tec but better made. Have shot one. Barks and bites but not too bad. Fits in a front jeans pocket and there is a great laser available. Price is pretty fair, also.

Might want to go online and look at the new Ruger LCR, a +P 38 special which is probably smaller, more compact and made from multiple space age materials. Quite unusual in appearance. (www.rugerfirearms.com I think).

3. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

about 3 seconds on google came up with the above website for the gun you mention Stan.

4. Kolar Rocks

Kolar Rocks TS Member

I've owned one now for about 3 months and find it very easy to shoot and carry. It rides with me where ever legal and I can get fast 12" groups off at 20 yards with the laser grips. Colder weather with a jacket on the S&W 386NG .357 with Crimson trace grips comes for the ride.

5. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I have to disagree with rich-s! I can maintain a 4" 7 shot group with mine at 7 yds using the issue sights. Mine rides in a Galco front pocket holster.

....Paul

6. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

How is the funtioning Paul? Any jamming problems?

7. Gold E

Gold E TS Member

I’ve had mine for 4 weeks and about 150 – 160 rounds. Absolutely flawless feed, fire, and eject so far. I’ve been shooting 90gr Fiochi (sp) FMJ but will be trying some other ammo when I get a chance. I have one mag with the finger extension and one without; get the extension it’s much more comfortable. I also masked and painted the front sight white for contrast.

It’s a neat little gun easily available for just under $300 plus an extra mag or two.

rich-s,

Yes it's only a short bbl .380 and it's probably useless past some distance, but 4ft?

8. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Nice little belly gun. I have had one for a few months now. Make sure of what you purchase as there has been a recall. Sent mine back and had it returned within 7 days with a hat and extended mag. Hate the fact it was recalled but they made it right. The website is above for the recall.

I have had good luck after about 300 rounds since the recall. Light weight, feels better than my Keltec .380. Fairly accurate and no jamming so far. I carry RBCD Platinum ammo for max effect. They need to make a belt clip, but with a little rework a keltec belt clip will work.

I have a brief case with a holster for times when customers are picky about carry, and getting in and out of buildings with metal detectors. They are not posted but don't want to answer questions. That's legal here unless federal.

9. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Rich s

Isn't the diameter of a .380, 9mm, .38\357 and 38 super all within a few thousandths of the same diameter? Bullet weight only varies by about 50 grains. A nice 100 grain hollow point will do the job if in a pinch.

Full metal jackets usually shoot straight through with no expansion. Try some decent ammo and they usually fall. When in a ultra concealment situation I'll take a NAA .22 over a rock.

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I bought one back in October or so.

Had to send it in on there recall, but it was back in 7 days. Hard to believe they fixed it and got back that fast.

Nice gun and so easy to conceal. Love it!

Hauxfan!

11. primer

primer TS Member

Lead Man, how did you mod the Kel Tec belt clip

12. weagle

weagle Member

The little rugers are great guns as are the Keltec P3AT's(guntest mag actually gave a slight edge to the Keltec in a head to head comparison) I've sold a couple dozen LCP's and have put the Keltec belt clip on all but a couple of them. The ones I installed went on just like they do on the Keltecs. I pay my mortage selling glocks, but I am seldom without my little .380.

Mines a Keltec, but the Ruger is basically an exact copy with only very minor, mostly cosmetic differences.

Weagle

[​IMG]

13. primer

primer TS Member

Thank you for your input. I bought one and put the belt clip on it. I can not find the finger extension, Ruger has them on back order. If you know where I can find one I would appreciate it. Thanks for your help.

14. Hauxfan

Okay, I have to ask.

Where can I get a belt clip for my Ruger LCP and is it hard to put on?

Hauxfan!

15. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Most Keltec folks have them in stock or order directly from the company. The screw was a little sloppy and the metal didn't fit like I would like so off to the hardware store for a better fitting bolt and nut. then a drimel tool for fine adjustment. Can't help it I'm anal about my stuff well at least my guns.

The website above is the accessory page for keltec.

16. primer

primer TS Member

They will have them a the gun store. Get the clip for the 380 Kel Tec. Knock the pin out of the Ruger I used a punch. Tap the pin in. put the clip on and screw in the screw. It was about 10 min. I am not good at doing things. Hope to works for you

17. Hauxfan

Thanks guys, I'll check it out next time I get to a gun store.

Hauxfan!

18. BustClays

BustClays Member

KEL-TEC, ugly but it works. Mine has a grip extension on the magazine which makes it very comfortable to shoot in 32 ACP.

bustclays

19. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

FMJ's work great in .40 and .45 cals. Bigger bullets, slower speeds, and they don't over-penetrate. Higher velocity lead and FMJ's will over-penetrate in .38's. Hollow points need higher velocity to work effectively, hence they work better in HV 9mm and .357 magnum. Buckshot will do the same. The roundness of the pellet or bullet nose will not expand reliably, giving up its energy internally.

9mm and .38 calibers run .355 and .357 respectively.

No offense meant toward those who carry .380's, but as the late Jeff Cooper wrote (paraphrasing), "If you shoot someone with a .380, you better hope he doesn't find out. He will be extremely upset with you if he does." He felt the same way about 9mm's, .32's, .25's, and .22's.

Best,
    Dennis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ruger380