1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger 25-06 M77 Markll Target load data?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by poacherjoe, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

I purchased this rifle with a 1 in 10" twist and a 26" barrel and I haven't been able to get a good group with my reloads so far.Does anyone have any load data that they would like to share?I have all the manuals and I know every gun shoots differently. I would prefer the 100 grain bullet and up.Thanks PJ

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

PJ, you might find that your gun won't shoot bullets heavier than 100 grains accurately. My stainless steel Remington Model 700s won't and they have the same twist rate as your Ruger. I spoke with a media contact at Remington who also is a .25-06 fan about that and he said that most Model 700s prefer 100-grain and lighter bullets. I did find that mine went from 1-1/2" five-shot 100-yard groups with the barrel floated to 3/4" groups with the barrel bedded from the receiver to an inch from the forend tip.

My best 100-grain load is with a Sierra BTSP over 52.0 grains of IMR4350 and a CCI BR-2 primer. It shot into 0.635" at 3,284fps from my gun's 24" barrel. I used to have a blued Model 700 that, in spite of also having a 1-10" twist, printed 0.430" groups with 117-grain Hornady SPBTs over 53.0 of H4831 and clocked 2,962fps with its barrel floated but neither of my newer ones will do that.

Good luck!

Ed

3. poacherjoe

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Sarge gave very good advice.

I have a Ruger MK II Long Range Rifle in .223 that will shoot under .5 MOA for 5 shots at 100 yards. At first, the rifle would not shoot that well but by adjusting the cartridge over all length so that the nose of the bullet was just off of the rifling, the rifle started to shoot very well. I also dropped the powder (IMR 4895) down about 2 grains below maximum. Everything came together with that load.

However, if I shoot new Federal Premium hunting .223 ammo (with a shorter over all cartridge length) the groups open up to about 1 inch. Shooting UMC new factory FMJ ammo, the groups open up to between 1 1/2 and 2 inches.

Back in the day, I bought 20 boxes of the yellow UMC ,223 FMJ stuff for $5 a box of 20. I wish that I would have bought more. Who knew.

If I needed a super accurate rifle, I would take my old Remington 30-06 700 BDL and have Gary Hart re-barrel and re-stock it in .280 Remington.

You get what you pay for.

PS: A hunting buddy bought a used 700 Remington BDL in 7MM Rem Mag that had a standard contour Hart barrel in the factory stock. The barrel had his heart trademark on the barrel. He never shot it off of a bench but he claimed that it shot very well.

Ed Ward

5. AveragEd

Well Joe, if you're looking for one-hole benchrest tournament-winning groups, the advice Fred and Ed gave is good. But if you're seeking an accurate hunting rifle, which is my assumption, a factory Remington Model 700 (with the possible exception of the Mountain Rifle due to its thinner barrel) will do that if you tinker long enough. I own 21 Model 700s and the least accurate one prints 1.5" three-shot 100-yard groups with factory ammo, but it's in a caliber that I will probably never use on game in Pennsylvania, so I'm happy with it.

Yes, custom barrels should be more accurate. My most accurate rifle is a Model 700 with a trued receiver, lapped bolt and 27" McGowen stainless steel Douglas #5A contour barrel in .243 Ackley Improved. It puts 65-grain Berger Match bullets into .350" five-shot one-hole groups. But I have factory Model 700 varmint rifles in .22-250 and 6mm that are only between a few hundreds and a tenth of an inch or so behind that one in accuracy. One of them is a 35 year-old M700 VS that was never even bedded into its wood stock.

Fred's right about scopes, too. A good looking glass can make all the difference. Trying for tiny groups with a $99 scope usually is a waste of time.

Ed

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

My 25-06 is my favorite white tail and mule gun. I have had a Remington 700 25-06 for about 40 years... not the same one. I have an H-S Precision one now and one of their 280 Rems.

I have always reloaded 117 gn Spitzer Boat Tails with tremendous success.

Joe, if you need load data, email me. This is a load I've worked up since the 70's.

Whiz

7. AveragEd

Even though everything my contact at Remington told me proved itself to be true, I also wonder why .25-06s in general won't shoot heavier bullets well. I had that one older Model 700 that would and I have a Model 700LSS in .257 Weatherby that, while I'm still working on that "perfect" handload for it, seems to digest 115-grain Bergers and 117 Sierras pretty well. Three-shot groups are right at an inch and that cartridge also utilizes a 1-10" twist. In fairness, it does shoot 100-grain bullets a hair better and I think a 1-9" rate of twist might be ideal for both cartridges.

But I still think the .25-06 would be the one cartridge I'd have if we could only have one. My current stainless Model 700BDL will print sub-3/4" five-shot groups with a 75-grain V-Max and a 100-grain Sierra - and they both shoot to within 1/2" of each other, so I have the Leupold 4.5-14x40mm AO VX-3 on it zeroed for the 75-grain load (woodchucks are smaller targets than deer) and never have to change it from season to season. It's bedded into a Kevlar/graphite stock with an aluminum bedding block, so weather can't affect it much, if at all.

Ed

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The fishing expedition is endless, and that's the fun.

More powder, less powder, bullets touching the rifling, bullets jumping an eighth of an inch, all part of the fishing.

Selecting a powder and doing a 15 shot ladder test might be a good idea for a difficult rifle. You want the barrel whip to be at a standstill when the bullet exits, and the ladder test is the way. Mash the link.

Of course this goes beyond hunting rifle applications, but it's a good excuse to get out to the range.

HM

9. ron (vt)

ron (vt) Member

This subject has been discussed just a while back and I didn't chip in. I too have a 25-06 (Weatherby Ultralight) and have been somewhat disappointed in the groups, especially when a few years back I witnessed my cousin shoot a .3 group with a Savage 111 with Winchester factory.
    I kept track of the loads I shot while working up loads. One of my better loads was the 100 gr Hornady, around a .800, with 55.5 grs of IMR 4831. For 117-120, it was 117 gr. Horn. with 59.0 gr. of Retumbo, .858. I would suggest trying the Nosler partition as I shot some factory ammo and the first two overlapped each other but the 3rd opened it up, something this gun tends to do. It tends to string them horizonally also.
    Good luck.

10. poacherjoe

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rugers just dont usually shoot that well-

Here is what I would try- recrown the barrel before you do anything- then check the bedding- make sure it is bedded correctly

If that doesnt work- sell it

Get a Rem 700

regards from Iowa

Gene

12. nogunracks

nogunracks TS Member

did you try reloader 25, this powder works fantastic in my model 700 25/06 along with a hornady 117 grain spire point or the round nose. th 117 grain round nose seems to drop a deer faster than the spire point. the longest shot i get is 200 yards so the round nose doesnt hurt. any more questions just e mail me i have had a 25/06 for over 30 years and have taken many deer with it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
25 06 remington twist
25-06 ruger m77 90gr bullet length 1 in 12 twist
reloading for ruger m77 mkii 25-06

ruger m77 25 06 twist rate

ruger m77 mark ii 25-06 target rifle price
what rifle twist does mark 2 varmint 25-06 have
what should i use to load my 25 06 ruger target
what should i use to load my 25 06 ruger target rifle