1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger 10/22 Barrel

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BenelliM2, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

Got a bull barrel coming soon for my 10/22 that im building just wondering...what is the correct way to "Break in a barrel"? how many rounds should I run through it before cleaning it?

Jordan Dekker,FRGC Member

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Clean the bore preservative out of it, then shoot it.

Many owners of bolt action target 22's never clean the bores. They feel that they get more bore wear from cleaning than from shooting. However, with a semi-auto, eventually the chamber will dirty up to the point where the cartridge may have problems seating. So a cleaning will have to be done on a semi-auto sooner or later.

I do not want muzzle wear, so I clean from the breech. To facilitate this, I bored a hole through the back wall of the receiver so a cleaning rod and jag will pass through it. Typically this is a 1/4" or 3/8" hole. I marked my hole by using a cleaning rod down the bore to find the location on the inner back wall of the receiver and used my milling machine to bore it. Midway and Brownells sell alignment jigs for this. Another alternative is the guide at the link. One drawback is POI shift when reassembled back in the stock. Note that this would happen when it comes time to disassemble the action to thoroughly clean the bolt and trigger group anyway. To combat this, I torque the screw to the same point, which can be done with a micro torque wrench or by simply indexing the screw head.

An easier alternative is a bore snake. I don't care for them. Nor do I care for a muzzle cap guide. I find them awkward. But many prefer them to boring holes in the rear of the receiver.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I would break in a barrel on a high powered rifle but you will find that breaking in a 22 cal. barrel is not warranted. You need to spend your time finding out which ammo your new barrel likes and it should shoot lights out.

4. Brian in Oregon

BTW, speaking of accuracy, I'm getting excellent results with subsonic ammunition in my 10-22T. The bullet is not crossing the sonic barrier, so it is not being buffeted. My son and I have been using eggs as targets at 100 yards. Viewed from the bottom they're about 1.5" in diameter. You can positively tell when one gets hit. I'm not having trouble hitting them with the 10-22T using subsonics, and then picking off the bigger fragments.

View attachment 245557

Going further, accuracy is improved even further with a suppressor, which strips off the exiting gasses from around the bullet. In theory, something like this muzzle compensator should accomplish the same thing for stripping gasses, but I have not tried one yet.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can really improve the accuracy and have a POI that doesn't change by adding a bedding screw and glass bedding the receiver. HMB

6. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Is it nessary i don't know but the way I was told to season a rifle barrel 1 shot clean 2 shots clean 3 shots clean do this until 10 shots then it is done' I don't know how much if any it helps but I think it would some because you will clean up some of the rough ness from the tooling makeing the barrel. Tom

7. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I "broke in" my newest 10-22 match gun with the Tubbs system. I broke in my Savage 93 in 22mag with JB paste on a tight patch...just a hundred or so strokes to "wipe" off whatever little wire edges might have been left by the factory.

Don't know if firing lead bullets and cleaning will do as the lead won't wear anything to any degree and if you clean properly, the brushes and patches won't either.

To each his own. If I had it to do over, I'd have shot both before doing anything, then done the lapping and seen if it had changed anything.

Either way, both shoot great. 10-22 does sub moa with Fed/Wolff/Lapua match stuff and the mag goes a little over moa with Win Supreme. I'm happy.

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I had no idea a suppressor like Brian has would increase the accuracy of a rifle!!! I wonder how much it would increase the accuracy on my 6mmBR heavy barrel bolt gun? Learning facts like that on here nearly every day, that's what makes this forum so good!!!

9. plabels466

plabels466 Member

Brian, you nailed it on your first post...I also did the 'breech trick'.....I use 16 & 18'' Clerke barrels on my two 10/22s.....Eggs are simple to hit at 100 yards with my rig......I use Lapua M or L ammo.....They shoot 1 hole at 50 Yards....Federal Gold Medal Target is fantastic ammo for all (12) of my 22 rimfire rifles & pistols.....I shoot about 5000 rounds a year.....Yea, I am retired & live 10 minutes from the best shooting range in Colorado - Green Mill.....Hope you enjoy your new 22 Jordan, You will really enjoy it........Pete

10. Brian in Oregon

BTW, McMillen Barrels advises against breaking in barrels. Their position is that it just shortens the life of the bore and you wind up replacing it sooner.

11. BenelliM2

BenelliM2 TS Member

bill2,

Sorry factory barrel is not for sale...yet. got a 20 inch green mt. stainless fluted on the way,about a month ago i got a Fajen legacy series stock the one with all the adjustments on it. might have to post some pics of the gun sometime.

Jordan Dekker,FRGC Member

12. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Bill2 ..I have a brand new never fired take off factory barrel that I will sell for $45.00 shipped if you are interested PM me here on TS or email at calvinmd2000@yahoo.com

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

hmb: What's a bedding screw?

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Replied to Bill2

15. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dave,

A bedding screw is a screw that holds the barreled action and stock together. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.