1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudy Project glasses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ky4some, Nov 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ky4some

ky4some Member

Looking to get my son some nicer shooting glasses than the clear S&W he is wearing now and I'm new to the world of nice shooting glasses. He has been offered a significant discount on any pair he would like from Rudy Project. Anyone familiar with these Rudy Project glasses? Website link above.

With the discount he could get a nice pair with 3 lenses for about $110.00. Thought it might be a good way to enter the multi lens world.

Any suggestions on what 3 lenses would be a good start?

Any input appreciated.

Mike Kamer

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Not familiar with the glasses you listed but i would spend slightly more and get Randolph Rangers. I bought mine with (3) sets of lenses for $169.

Colors i would go with:

Vermillion

LT Purple

Brown or Orange

3. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I used the Rydon shooting set for several years before going to Pilla.They are every bit the quality of Decot&Ranger plus a youngster will find them much more fashionable.

4. twoatloweight

twoatloweight Member

I used the Rydon shooting set for several years before going to Pilla.They are every bit the quality of Decot&Ranger plus a youngster will find them much more fashionable.

5. wm rike

wm rike Member

I consider Rudys to be sports glasses, and good ones at that, but not the best shooting glasses. I think you can see that sports lineage if you compare them closely to Decots or Randolphs. The Rudys are more shallow (less height) and do not sit as high on the nose as the more mainstream shooting glasses. Pistol shooters can get away with the shallower/lower glasses more easily than rifle and shotgun shooters.

If you think your son will be a casual shooter, then the price is a big plus. If you see him in in for a longer haul, I think he will appreciate the Decot/Randolph route.

6. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I looked at Rudy's glasses and considered buying them. They look great, have a big choice of lense, and if you check around have a good reputation. $110 for 3 lens set sounds like a good deal.

I bought some used Decot International frames for trap shooting, the internationals are a little cheaper and fine for my needs and there is a huge number of lenses available. The Decot, Rangers, and others that sit high on your face designed for shotgun shooting are the best choice for trap shooting.

But with a younger person he is probably more concerned with style and the Rudy's are definitely more stylish and so there you are, if he doesn't see the frame when wearing the Rudy's while shotgun shooting get him what he wants. They are quality lenses.

7. chipking

chipking TS Member

I use and really like my Randolph Ranger XLWs but I got lured into buying a 3 lens set of the Rudy Project Genetyk glasses with the photo-chromatic clear, photo-chromatic red and laser black and I have been real impressed by them. I bought an additional light purple lens for them and they have performed very well. The only issue I have had at all with them was a tendency to fog up a little on cool damp days. The Rangers do not. That is a function of the frame and face fit as much as the lenses and other folks may not have a problem. The Rudys grip my face a little better than my Rangers so I don't need to push them back while shooting. I consider them money well spent.

I am thinking about buying a neon yellow frame for them as well so I can wear them and my tie-dye shooting shirt when I am in the mood to mess with my squad-mates heads;o)

[​IMG]

--- Chip King ---

8. ky4some

ky4some Member

Chip - how do you like the red lens? The Rudy people are really extpecting it to become popular.

Maybe I'll get a pair of the neon yellow frame for both me and my son and we'll join you on a neon squad. :)

Mike Kamer

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

Sounds great Mike one thing about it it sure will be easy to spot us both on and off the line. Don't forget the neon (red-green-yellow)tie-dye shooting shirts. ;o) As for the red lens it is my go to lens about 90% of the time that I use the Rudys. If it gets a little too cloudy I drop back to the light Purple so it will still enhance the orange target (for my eyes). Really cloudy, dark drizzly or under the lights or with white or green targets I go to the clear.

They also have a lens color called Racing Red that a lot of the shooters I have talked with(mostly sporting clays guys)really like.

--- Chip King ---

10. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Rangers for shooting their Guarantied for life or at least close to that.

I had a set replaced by them when one of the tack welds broke after about 15 years of constant use. I use glasses almost every day and can't say anything bad about the Randolph Rangers.
    Joe

11. ky4some

ky4some Member

Thanks for all the replies. My concern with Decot or Rangers is that they may be too large for my 13 year old son. He's small for his size. I think I'll give the Rudy's a try. Can't get hut too bad at the price.

Mike Kamer

12. chipking

chipking TS Member

Mike call their customer service and they may be able to point you to specific frames made for smaller heads. Rangers also come in narrower widths for the smaller heads as well. Not sure about Decot.

Good luck and no matter what keep him shooting.

--- Chip King ---

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

They look like a cheap copy of Oakley's. Decot! The original and the best!

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Ranger Indeed comes in smaller frame sizes. Does your son require a RX or plano lens. You could Call Doc Rively an Optometrist and Ranger Dealer.

15. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

saw a piece about these glasses on Shooting USA...they did look pretty nice, especially the prescription insert part.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

forum rydon rudy project shotgun

rudy lense color for sporting clays

rudy project lenses shotgun

rudy project rydon lenses for sporting clays

rudy project shooting glasses

rudy project sponsored sporting clays shooters

rudy project vs pilla shooting glasses