1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rudy Etchen bolo ties?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steer Tripper, Nov 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

Does anyone where Rudy got them good looking Bolo ties.

I would love to have one.

David

2. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Steer Tripper,

That handle wouldn't be slang for a bull dogger would it?

ec90t

3. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

ec90t,

No I have bulldogged in my early days. Before I started trapshooting 2 years ago I tripped steers. This is different from team roping. One man ropes a steer by the horns and lays a trip(the rope running from the horns behind the back legs) then you turn your horse off at about a 90degree angle and lays the steer down. Then you dismount as the horse is dragging the steer to you. You hollow Whoa the horse stops and you cross and tie three legs. This event and saddle bronc riding was the orginal rodeo events.

When I first started tripping in the RCA there were only 10 rodeos that had this event(Cheyenne,Pendleton Pecos, Lenapah etc.)

Thanks for asking

David

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

David,

I saw that before at the Lazy E in Guthrie OK. I didn't know what they called it, but I do now. Thanks for the education!

ec90t

5. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

ec90t,
    In the pro rodeo it is called steer roping. Team roping is where you have a header and healer.

If you watched it at Lasy E you could not have been at a better place.
    When they moved the national finals steer roping from there it never was the same. Great place to watch from and better to be in the arena roping.

Trapshooting is the closest think to rodeo that I have found. Great sport and great people.

David

Where are you from to have seen it at Lazy E.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I live in Central Indiana. I was out visiting that away and that's just what happened to be going on at the Lazy E while I was there. It's been some time back now, but still have vivid memories.

When I left there I traveled down to Matlock Rose's ranch to pick up a colt. Man has that been a while back. I sure hope I got his name spelled correctly.

ec90t

7. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

Man, we need to talk. Between Lasy E being the best place to rope and Matlock Rose being one of the greatest horsemen. He could do it all. Cutting,roping, halter you name it. He was one of my Heros.

David

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

A gal that I used to live with worked for him for some time prior to our meeting. I heard a lot of stories about ole Matlock and the goins on.

The one story I remember most is about an App. gelding that he was tending to while the owner was away. Turns out in just a short time that ole Appy made a fine turnback horse and a descent cutter. All the owner used him for was hazing and a bit of healing when the need arrised.

I would have like to meet matlock in his younger days, but I'm glad I got to meet him all the same.

ec90t

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

to the original question, i'm going to guess if anyone can answer it, it'd be joel

joeletchenguns.com

10. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

You need to do a search for a book MATLOCK ROSE THE HORSEMAN by SALLY HARRISON.

great read. You know a champion is a champion no matter!

David

11. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I'll have to look that book up and give it a read.

That colt that I went down to Matlock's place to get was a son of Doctari. A buddy of mine still ownes that horse to this day. That horse has got to be pushing 30yrs old these days.

It's interesting who you meet on this site.

ec90t

12. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

ec90t

Just thought you might like to know Matlock died Jan 5 2008. He died in his easy chair after riding horses all day. He was 83.

David

13. ec90t

ec90t Guest

David,

I was gonna ask if Matlock was still with us. Sounds as if he passed on doin what he loved doin most!

ec90t

14. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

ec90t

Small world Doc Tari was owned by Dick Gaines my old Banker. Dick quick the bank and went to be a trainer of cutting horses. He was the president of the National Cutting Horse Association.

David

15. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

16. ec90t

ec90t Guest

David,

I was a little off on my age of 'Tari. He's 24. My mind wasn't very focused last night for some reason and my spelling was pretty bad as well. Lol.

Ole 'Tari has got a stubborn streak in him you wouldn't believe. Every once in a while, he'll just toss my buddy off his back and stand over him. I guess just to prove he still can.

It's kinda funny how small this ole world can be at times.

I also spent a little time in the Mississippi/Louisiana area and visited a place owned by a big time bulldogger. The place was just outside of Picahuyn Mississippi. Good Lord there goes my terrible spelling again. For the life of me, I can't remember his name.

I don't mess with the horses too much any more. It just got too expensive.

The last horse that I trained was a palimino gelding with Sonny Dee Bar blood lines. I sold him a few years back to a girl who's won a couple of events at the Indiana State Fair. He's also on the, 2 year running, winning state color guard team. I probably should have never sold that horse. I liked to refer to him as just dumb enough to do whatever I asked out of him. He'd chase cows, throw a rope off his back, and never spooked at a thing. Just a fun horse to ride.

ec90t

17. Steer Tripper

Steer Tripper TS Member

ec90t
    I made a living for 43 years a horse back working on ranches and rodeoing for fun and a little money. I know all the living World Champions and most of the dead one.. I have friends nearly anywhere you go in the west.

After retirement I did not want to work as hard as it would take to be a top roper. Then I found trapshooting. Closes thing to rodeo that I have found.

About them Tari's. You had to be a cowboy to riding them but they would look at a cow!

David

18. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Amen!

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.