Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rude shooters

6K views 66 replies 47 participants last post by  Spanky 
#1 ·
Can someone please Tell me why some Trap shooters are so nice and then you have others who are down right ignorant. I started shooting at three different clubs. Two of them are some of the friendliest people but this third one the people are just ignorant. They see you are new and won't even say hello and when you do say hello they seem to want to just get it over with and go about their business. Today I was struggling with hitting the target, after the round was over I said to one guy I had finely figured out what I was doing wrong and before I could say another word this guy says to me yea you need to drop 75 pounds and push your self back from the table like he had room to talk and when he saw I didn't appreciate the comment he tried to play it off and started telling other people the same thing and that he didn't mean to hurt any one. Am I being to thin skinned or is this just rude shooters?
Pete

#27 ·
Thanks a lot Gentlemen. 25 years ago I would have flattened this guy but things have changed for me but I sometimes still harbor that evil side of me if you know what I mean. I was considering not going back to this club but after the comments here I will be going back and handle it in a different way. I really appreciate this form and all of the people for their advice.
Pete

#28 ·
Don't let any of those few ignorant a-hole keep you from going to the club! Sign up on their squad and shoot right next to the most ignorant of them. Thin skin? Just thicken up some and give it back to them a bit without being ignorant. Get your own digs in. Get a set of nuts bigger than his and that will be the end of it.

I havn't run into too many ignorant bast***s trap shooting over the years but, that is 100% more than any I've ever run into while shooting skeet or sporting clays.

Most of the ignorant bast***s I've ran into can't really help it. Trap shooting is all they have in life. More than likely not another damn thing. For only having trapshooting you would think they would be some kind of a world champion. Hence, making them happier. It's funny, while for some guys trap is their main interest and they are one hell of a nice guy for the most part. Buy the guy one of those "Life's Good" decals and tape it to his windshield. Set back and watch his reaction.

#30 ·
Don't let it worry you. Sometimes there are some good guys at "those" clubs, but they sit back and try not to get associated with the jerks. There was one club that it took six months before anyone warmed up. As with anything you do in life, there will always be some jerk who will give you a hard time. Shoot and have fun, especually if you beat their scores. :)

#31 ·
Dickheads are dickheads, don't reward them by feeling bad. Stick with the club and develop the friendships that are worth your time. In time karma will settle the score with Mr. Richard Cranium and with any luck you will be around to see it. Try to contain your pleasure when that happens.

#34 ·
Let me tell you Spanky ol great one I have met more arrogant, self centered snobs while shooting registered skeet than I ever have at a trap shoot. Especialy if they find out you are a trapshooter. I have also seen and followed some of the most rude and crude individuals on the sporting courses. So don't bring this it only happens at a trap club.

baker: Maybe he didn't want to talk to you, sounds like you might have a little bit of attitude.

I'm with Shannon there are to many good people at a trap shoot to worry about one with bad manners, and Shannon is one of the good guys I have met.

Don

#36 ·
Trap shooters are, by their nature, a very conservative bunch. Anything new is viewed with suspicion. Even new things that are improvements are suspect. You are new. Don't try to start conversations for the first few weeks and after they are used to seeing you around, they will warm up. And for those who don't.....you are better off to ignore them.

#37 ·
At one of the clubs that I go to they ragged on a guy on the skeet field so hard that he left. The reason was that he had a Mossburg shotgun. I have also seen them welcome a new person, ask them what they did for a living and if they said they were a working stiff they turned their backs to him. If they said they own their own co and it was of use to them they welcomed them in. If someone came in driving a expensive car they were welcome. If not then they just turned their backs. I know who is who and I will go out of my way when I get there to openly say HI to them. That pisses them off. I drive a car that is 20 years old and the other one without hub caps. They don't like that. They are so stuck up that they got on my case when I went to trap shoots and pulled STS boxes for reloading out of the trash cans. They said I have to buy them. I still get the boxes out of the trash. Sorry but I don't have that kind of money to be spending for boxes. I also belong to another club and at the monthly meetings people from that area are coming in to the club and joining. When I hear where they are from I ask them why they didn't join the other club. Their answer's were all the same, I didn't feel welcome and they were arrogant. The club board is right on the line on shutting down the shotgun part of the club just to teach them a good lesson. Hope they do.

#40 ·
For one thing I'm a proud Rep. Setterman, all clubs have AH's. I belong to two clubs and thats because of the AH's in the first one. Why are you pointing the finger at me? or are you one of the arrogant people at your club who is trying to protect people like yourself? I would rather be poor and humble then rich and arrogant. I welcome anyone who comes to any club. I don't care if he's shooting a H&R. A shooter is a shooter. As I said before I hope they do shut down the fields just to teach them a good lesson and to put them on their backsides.

#41 ·
Unfriendliness is one of the biggest reasons we are not retaining new members. New shooters are intimidated as it is. Then you add a few AH's to the mix and you never see them again. I always make it a point to greet them first then explain what the range rules are. And then go shoot a round with them.

Baker I would have had to say something just as rude back to him just to see if he was joking or just an AH. Hell one of the guys I shoot with now pretty much introduced himself the same way now we are buds. He posts on here as Yukon. LOL

#45 ·
Funny (good) story.
I'd been shooting trap for about 2 years and started taking a buddy from work with me to the trap club. After about the second trip he took his H&R field gun and started shooting. About his 3rd or 4th trip, he went with me to the Friday night fun shoot. One of the games was a line of shooters (15 or 20) shooting from behind the 27 yard line. I think if you missed 2 you were out, and if the next shooter in line broke your target you had to pay him a dollar, but if he missed your target, your miss didn't count (something like that). It got down to my buddy Steve and another guy. Usually the last 2 guys would split the purse, but after Steve's request to split, the other guy looked at Steves H&R, snubbed his noze, and called for the target. He was usually pretty much a snob anyway. He missed and Steve broke his. It was one of those (you had to be there) magical moments.

PS - Steve later bought a trap gun and we went to the grand about 4 years in a row and stayed close friends. Steve died about 2 Months ago - I miss him.

#46 ·
Now that Highflyer has said it he is right. Skeet shooter at the club are the problem. I hear that from every club.

Sigraph, sorry you lost your friend. I know how that is. It was good that he was matched against the club snob with a H&R. Others in the club I'm sure will never let him forget that he was beaten by a new shooter with a H&R. HE HE HE HE. Good for him.

#47 ·
Pete, are you sensitive about your weight, sometimes we can help it, sometimes we can't? Maybe he thought you needed advice on something which could affect your life more than figuring out why you missed. Possibly he didn't know whether you were giving him advice when you said you had figured out something about your shooting or were asking for advice which he felt might be affecting how you were shooting. What actually did you figure out? Some people are just blunt and say whatever they are thinking without knowing how it might affect the other person.

Lanny Basham says that the more we talk about our mistakes, the more we are reinforcing those mistakes. He says not to listen to people who go into detail about how they miss their targets.....that by listening to those words, you are putting them into your subconscious and they will be there and end up being a problem for you in the future. I don't know why we as trapshooters feel that we need to discuss with others why and how we miss....as much as I try not to do this, I still find I am very guilty of it.

Next time you go to the club just say "Hi" to this person and as Otnot said you may become friends with him. To make a friend, you need to be a friend! Biff

#50 ·
You guys are wonderful. In my opinion it's not skeeters who are the problem, it's not the overweight shooters who are the problem, it's not the trapshooters who are the problem. The problem comes from guys who are a**holes. They are in all walks of life and all venues. You can't escape from them by going to gun clubs. They follow you there and hide out behind blindered shooting glasses and make fun of those with less experience and ability. They are bored and have no playground to be the bully on nowdays. That's the problem with guys who aren't cordial to newcomers. Dan

#51 ·
Hey BIGDON you can go pound sand, you're right and I'm wrong....I don't think so. In my few cases of seeing it, that's were it was. I really couldn't give a fat rats a$$ about how ingorant any SOB is at a club. If I were to see it and it appears to be effecting others I'm with or around I'd let the guy know it. I don't walk around backwards in life for nobody. Let alone at some two bit club and let guys tell me whatever they want to. It has never happened to me directly and probably never will. I would say 99% of the guys I've ever shot with are good natured and enjoy having fun and some ribbing. RIBBING NOT IGNORANCE. I know if they have a problem with me, they are the one with the problem. I'm pretty much a likeable guy and will do anything for anyone. Some problems do exist from being thin skinned. I work in an environment where we bust balls (for fun) all day or when we can. We feed off of it. But you don't take that BS to the trap, skeet or s/c course. Too many different breeds in one place. Many differnt personalities.

Anyway, by your posts, if you think you're coming of as traps Mr. Congeniality, that ain't quite happening Big Guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.