1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rubio is POLITICAL SUICIDE for Mitt (& why)

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by GW22, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

OK, admittedly I used this title for spite because Buzz-Gun is kicking my butt on his thread against my Condi Rice VP pick (Jeez I didn't realize I was dealing with a professional. He takes broad liberties "quoting" me but lets be honest, the dude is GOOD and funny).

Anyway, yeah Rubio looks GREAT at a glance. I love his Tea Party mentality, his youthful energy, his irreverence against the status-quo and the way his powerful speaking skills can really fire-up the Republican base. But does any of this sound familiar? Isn't this eerily similar to how we felt about Palin before we learned of her political weaknesses? Do you remember when Dan Quayle was a momentary youthful breath of fresh air for George H.W. Bush? How about when Ross Perot chose Admiral Stockdale - an inspirational war hero with an intellect supposedly so superior that Perot jokingly apologized in advance for the beating he would administer in the VP debate. These dreamy VP candidates are the political equivalent of a woman whom the 'hood-rats would call a "Block-O-Two" (they look good from a block or two).

Now is not the time for the Republicans to get distracted by a shiny object like Marco Rubio. Sure, it would be wonderful to get Cuban/Hispanic votes and carry Florida, but this is the Major League and Rubio is too young, unseasoned and unproven. His resume, although impressive, is frighteningly thin compared to Rice's. He doesn't have the experience Rice has in dealing with hostile media, powerful foreign leaders, and political adversaries. Rubio has also been caught in a big fib about his family fleeing Castro and he has some hocus-pocus in his tax records and past financial resources. The Democrats get a fee pass from the media on that stuff, but we don't. Rice has been vetted globally, over decades; Rubio has only been vetted by the people of Florida, who couldn't punch a sharp pin through a perforated ballot hole.

Choosing a VP must be initially guided by a sort of Hyppocratic Oath: "First, do no harm." So please, let's not do harm by giving the Democrats a newby to publicly dissect right before the election. Let's save the promising pup Marco for a dogfight down the road when he's all grown up and battle hardened. Condi scares the Democrats, Rubio just makes them salivate.

-Gary

PS: Kelly Ayotte is too much of a virgin also, so let's kill that dumb idea before it even gets traction.

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Let's see here: young, inexperienced, unproven, thin resume, minority. Nobody could win with that baggage. Never happened in the past and won't happen now.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Funny Galt, but we don't have all the slackers, welfare queens, minorites, 58% of the female voters, and the mainstream media in the tank for us like Obama.

-Gary

4. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

We're starting to sound like victims.

5. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have said it before and I will repeat it now; "universal suffrage will be the downfall of our country". Tghis is really an extensiopn of what Jefferson said about the country ending when people realize that they can vote themselves benefits from the common treasury.

Once people WHO HAVE NOTHING AT STAKE can vote on matters which place the total burden on those who do, fairness, equity, et al, go out the window and it becomes, "What's in it for me" or "How much can I get and how little will I have to do to get it"?

The founders had it right - no property, no vote! Liberals and progressives could never win under such a system so they worked hard and long to change it. They played on our generousity and largesse to make us believe that the poor and the disadvantaged should have a say in politics. Tell me how this is different from giving them the keys to the treasury?

We now have generations of people who have never done anything but nurse at the public teat. They have given rise to a "welfare industry"! They have advocates and lobbyists - AND THEY VOTE!

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Interesting post, birdogs. I'm sure renters, women and young people struggling to reach the point where they can own property would take issue, but your Jefferson reference is clearly playing out with Obama.

How about compromising and saying that only people who pay at least $5K in yearly net federal income taxes get to vote in national elections? Good luck getting that passed.

BTW, everything else aside, you never want to tell someone who serves in the military that they can not vote.

-Gary

7. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Screw the renters, the young, the single moms and the low ranking military. If they decide that voting is important enough to their futures, they'll find a way to buy property. Just imagine what would happen to our tax base if the "victims" here in the Grand Ol' USA owned property.

8. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

How about everyone just pass a simple Civics test written only in English????? If you can't pass the test then you are not informed enough to make a decision that will effect millions of other people......

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I've seen posts claiming Condi and Rubio are taboo.

So, who is the best potential VP?

10. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Gary!

11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

You guys crack me up! Why don't you guys see if you can become the new dictator of Iraq? I heard they are looking for one.

12. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

....or Brian.

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Paul Ryan! Even he won't be enough.

14. GW22

GW22 Active Member

OK, OK, I will agree to run with Brian as my VP... IF the taxpayers agree to buy him a sense of humor.

-Gary

PS: He also has to stop beating the hell out of his Ol' Lady. (<-- Brian: Joke)

15. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

VEEEEPEEEE, Gary, VP. Don't let your mouth overload your A$$. :)

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I know that was a bit ambitious, but how can ban I everybody's guns if I'm only VP?

-Gary

17. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Just a thought if you don't own your property free & clear, you are a renter---your landlord is the bank who has your mortgage. Lots of senior citizens sell their houses & move into rental properties.

Phil Berkowitz

18. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Phil,

As VP, Gary will let you slide if you own a car and pay personal property taxes on it. Now, if you insist on renting AND riding the bus or taking a cab, then sorry, you're just screwed. Right Gary?

19. crusha

crusha TS Member

Here, let me help out GW's thread with an "up:"

I think Mitt has at best a 40% chance of winning this election. He can "stay close," and potentially take advantage of an Obama misstep somewhere in the race...or, he can blow it right now with a misstep of his own, and hand the election to Barack Obama before Labor Day ever comes.

I think if he chooses a VP who does not deliver swing state electoral votes - he lays down and throws the election right now.

I like Condi, but the cold truth is that she has never been successfully tested at the ballot box anywhere, and as VP does not deliver a single electoral vote. She hasn't even been elected Governor of Alaska (and I say that as someone who made fun of "Quitter Palin" without mercy back when it was unpopular to do so).

Thus far, all her political data points are as 3rd-fiddle in front of friendly audiences. Her POLITICAL resume, as opposed to her employment resume (remember, we're talking elections, not esteemed work assignments)...is NADA. The "Bush Baggage" she brings is there, regardless whether her true virtues ever get a fair play by the Media or not.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for seeing deserving persons getting a title shot...but the stakes are too high here, and if she turns out to be career-distinguished but Politically inept, Mitt will never get a second chance to do this right.

(And I repeat - she still does not deliver a single electoral vote...and unless Garr is aware of some Constitutional process change I've not learned about yet, it's electoral votes, not curriculae vitae, that decide elections).

20. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Stl Flyn,

Tell my why someone who has nothing to contribute and has nothing at stake should be allowe3d to vote. I can see exceptiopns for military and others who conteribute SOMETHING but if all you contribute is more welfare dependents, why should you vote? Why would anyone in their right mind think that these people would vote for the "common good" when all they have ever done is for their personal good AT SOMEONE ELSES EXPENSE?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.