1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rubberband question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PhilG, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhilG

PhilG TS Member

I have a browning 20 gold semi and am enjoying shooting trap but feel bad about throwing shells at everyone. I saw you can put a rubberband on the gun to catch shells, where would i put the rubberband exactly at? Thanks Phil

2. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Place the rubber band around the loading/exit port. Use a broad rubber band. You will need to experiment with the exact position to place the band, moving it back and forth until the best placement is achieved.

Check at your local gun shop, they may have a shell catcher for your gun. At my club we (have on hand) universal shell catchers. These are a heavy wire device mounted on a metal frame that can flip up and down. The metal frame has a sticky side that bonds to the breach of the gun. Our experience is that, they work very good, several shooters use them.

Unless shooters squadding together "agree" that they don't mind shells bouncing off of them, WE REQUIRE SHELL CATCHERS. (PERIOD)

Frank

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

While your using the rubber bands, keep some extras in your pocket. They sometimes won't last more than a couple rounds, but it is a easy and cheap way to stop the hulls, from hitting someone.

A gunsmith can drill a couple holes in the barrel tang that goes into the receiver, fashion a length of spring wire and it works quite well at catching and hold the shell. You just have to load the shell base first and drop it in.

The shell catcher Pull Bang mentioned is sold under the Birchwood Casey brand.
    Easy to find, easy to mount, easy to use.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Phil, check out Recobs Target shop web page, they had shell catchers for the gold in 12ga but I am not sure about 20

5. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Rick, thanks for the info on the shell catcher.

Phil, just Goggle "Birchwood Casey shell catcher" and you will see what the are and the cost.

Frank

6. Rick Barker

Your more than welcome.

There are better, more expensive shell catchers, but this one will work fine as Pull Bang mentioned.

I have them on all my autoloaders.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I wish I could get the rubber band trick to work. The bolt moves it out of the way, if I put it in front of the bolt handle it's not in the right place. The few times I got it to stay in place it broke or was melted in just a few shots. What brand of rubber bands are the best?

Somebody have a video of this working? I like to shoot some off brand guns every once in awhile and it would be nice to know how to make this work.

8. Rick Barker

In front of the bolt handle when the bolt is open, is where it goes.

Center it right over the ejection port, with the bolt open.

You might have to re-position after every shot or two.

Use the thickest rubber band you can find or use a couple mediums.

You want the shell to be stopped or deflected to the ground at your feet.

You can go to a Staples, Office Depot, whatever and buy them by the bagfull.

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item/79779_Birchwood_Casey_Range_Gear_BC_SAVE_IT_SHELL_CATCHER_12GA_SEMI_AUTO.aspx

10. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

I have found the wider rubber bands available at produce dept. in large grocery stores (asparagus bands) and also got them from the guys restocking the ATM at our local bank. Approach the ATM guys with caution, they can be rather touchy about guys coming from behind!

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Why?? are they ex-cons??

<grin>

12. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

It's been a while since I used a rubber band. From what I remember, I positioned it against the bolt handle (on the front side toward the barrel) with the bolt closed. That way it's as far back as it can be without being moved much by the bolt.

And it has to be fairly tight. If necessary, double it up. Optimum is that the hull stays in the chamber after the shot.

Danny

13. PhilG

PhilG TS Member

Thanks guys for all the help! I looked up birchwood casey and only had ones for 12 gauge, i also saw one in a store that was made for browning gold but again 12 gauge only. I will try the rubberband sunday when i shoot. Soon the bt 99 will solve all my problems!