1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rubber Band Ejection Control??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I shot on a squad last night with a guy who was using an auto-loader of some sort that could spit hulls 2 posts away. Somebody in the club house produced a thick rubber band for him to put over the receiver to control the ejection, but none of us knew were to put it.

Can somebody post a photo of a correctly placed rubber band on a typical auto-loader with the bolt closed that I can copy, print and post on the club bulletin board?

MK

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

it is simply put around the reciever ahead of the bolt

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Put it about where the bolt handle is when in battery. Make sure it on the muzzle end.

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Frank is right- it is usually does need to be moved

If you want to have it held there to put in your pouch-- right behind the middle of the ejection port

I have offered this method for years on this forum and have used it 40 years ago myself

It works better than commercial shell catchers most of the time

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Some guns need the rubber band because there may not be a shell catcher for that type of gun available . We bought a few T&S catchers for the 1100`s this past month but haven`t had reason to lend them out yet .

6. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

A good Gunsmith can make a shell catcher by drilling 2 small holes in the receiver opening and inserting a piece of "piano wire" which is easily removed for shooting doubles. I bought a new Super X for my wife when they came out in 1975? and since shell catchers were not available for that gun at the time, she used the rubber band method. Works very well and its cheap. My Win. mod 50 would throw empties straight out for 15 ft. Larry Evans

7. Shotgunbutch

Shotgunbutch Member

Use the rubber bands that come off of broccoli in the grocery store. I found they work the best.

Arnie

8. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've yet to see a rubber band work adequately on a auto shotgun, I think the best use would be as a birth control device for the offenders father if you could do it retroactively.

9. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

The rubber bands available at the post office work very well (only the best for our government, right?)

I had one of the old Peterson catchers on my Super-X, but it broke, so I thought I'd try one of the new Birchwood Casey catchers. Bad idea! I soon found out that it didn't work worth a crap because the wire is too flimsy and loses a lot of hulls.

Kiv

10. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

what about doubles? will the rubber band still work?

barry

11. philk

philk Member

It will work great for the first shot...

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am not at all offended by another shooter ejecting empty shells on my feet or even my legs. Automatics are popular with some for shooting doubles and I have never seen a shell catcher that will work for doubles.

Pat Ireland

13. Unknown1

OK... with the bolt closed, band goes around the receiver just ahead of the cocking handle, right?

MK

14. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Would someone post a picture of a Birchwood Casey catcher on an auto . I have one also and have seen some on some guns that didn`t work . Maybe this could solve many problems with the installation .

15. Unknown1

I going to start carrying a bag of grocery store rubber bands in my kit so I have some available to the auto-loader shooters who don't have them.

Thanks for the help!

MK

16. Unknown1

<blockquote><i>"Would someone post a picture of a Birchwood Casey catcher on an auto.... Maybe this could solve many problems with the installation."</i></blockquote>There are lots of those on the 'net:<center>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    </center>

MK

17. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

I met a gentleman while watching skeet. He was shooting a beretta auto. He had a piece of velcro(the part with the nubbies)stuck to just inside on the top side of the opening. It would catch the first shot and on doubles it would shove the first hull out and drop it at his feet catching the second hull.I could not get it perfected on an 1100 but it worked great on his beretta.
    Glenn Allison

18. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

I don't get it. I shot with a young man last weekend and he was all worried about hitting me with shells. I insisted that he shoot his own targets and not at mine and we would get along great. I just waited until his shell ejected and landed somewhere near my feet, then I stated my routine. If you know it is going to happen then adapt to it. Just my two cents.

19. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I just shot with a new fella shooting a 11-87. Unfortunately, being left handed, I found the hulls battering my testicles to be disconcerting. I had to watch him shoot to see where the hull was going.....

I suggested the shell catcher next time, and , I'm going to pack my catchers cup...

Jim

20. Unknown1

Looks to me like that Peterson and the Birchwood-Casey are the same thing... or at least they use the same photos in their ad copy!

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

benelli m2 shell catcher

diy shotgun shell catcher
homemade shotgun shell catcher

rubber band shotgun shell catcher

shotgun shell catcher

shotgun shell catcher rubber band

shotgun shell deflector

who to uses a rubberband as a shootgun shell catcher