1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Rogers and Gene Autry

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Just got home from school and all day I have been humming Roy Rogers song , Happy Trails to you, and Gene Autry's, Back in the Saddle again.

I was waiting for the professor to come into class and I was in my desk humming these songs and a couple of younger students asked what I was humming. Not one of them ever heard of Roy or Gene or their songs or their horses trigger or Champion.

Sad that the kids of today don't have these shows on Saturday mornings or the chance to sit in a movie theatre on a Saturday or Sunday and watch a couple of shoot um ups along with some cartoons.

Roy Rogers came to the Waukesha gun club in the early 60's as he was performing with Trigger at State fair Park near by. He took Trigger out of his trailer and placed a few younger children on him and walked them around while holding on to triggers reins.

A friend of mine sold Roy a Browning O/U that day. Roy was a very good shot. In 1959 he attended the Grand American. He broke 199/200 with a Model 12 that was once owned by Clark Gabel.

Roy owned a small gun club along with a pitch and put. Clark came out and Roy rounded up three other shooters and they shoot trap. Roy broke them all, and Clark had a score of 4. Supposly Clark Gabel was very competitive and hated to lose. So they shot again and Clark had a 6. He came off the line and had his model 12 raised above his head asking if anyone would like to purchase this sob? Roy purchased the gun and always shot it. Despite Roy being hounded by autograph seekers at the grand, he shot great.

I don't know if the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans museum is still running but if it is most shooters would enjoy it. Those were some good times in those years. They had Trigger at the museum, his dog bullet, Nelly bell.

Do you know of any other actors or actresses that shot trap or skeet, or sporting clays?
    Steve Balistreri

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Robert Stack/Elliot Ness was a skeet shooter.

Eric

3. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

I always watched Roy Rogers on saturday mornings.

4. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

The musem moved from Victorville to Branson, Mo, then was closed and the contents were auctioned. Trigger and the famous hound were on the float for the New years parade in California.

5. psfive

psfive Member

The Mandrell sisters are shooters as I recall. Paul in Nebraska.

6. ShootinSue

ShootinSue Active Member Supporting Vendor

Sure miss those Saturday mornings....I believe Sky King was on at that time also. Couple more of my favorites was Zorro and the Cisco Kid. (Sure dates me unfortunately).

Tom Selleck, the Mandrell Sisters, and Robert Conrad are a few more that do shoot trap, skeet, and sporting.

Those were the days......

Sue

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I met Roy at the Victorville Ca bowling alley in the 70's when I was in the Air Force, doing a TDY at George AFB

He was really a nice guy

He used to drive a cool Caddie convertible with long horns on the hood and six guns for the door handles, also had the dashboard covered with silver dollars, the seats were saddles, they went all out on it

8. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Does anyone know where Roy's Model 12 ended up?

LA in MA

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

I watch Roy last night on the RFD channel.

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Al Timney and Roy were squadmates at a Grand or two, Al had a picture of the squad taken in front of the middle of the line sign at Vandalia.

11. Shotgun Ron

Shotgun Ron Member

The pigeon grade model 12 was auctioned when they closed the museum, dont know who bought it. Anyone know Roys real name?

12. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

13. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

14. 8 Straight

8 Straight Active Member

As I recall, Roy's real name was Leonard Slye, and he was born in Ohio.

15. Shotgun Ron

Shotgun Ron Member

You are correct sir

16. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

17. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

18. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

19. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

20. MTA Tom