1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Roy Rodgers Model 12

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by over the hill, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

My son was at a local gun club yesterday and was leafing thru a book called .. Everything you need to know about your model 12. There was a picture of Roy Rodgers with a gorgeous model 12.

I know that Hollywood notibles shot skeet such as Robert Stack, Clark Gable as well as Roy Rodgers.

Anyone know what happened to Roys guns after his death? Someone told me some years ago that he walked off the set of the Tonight Show after Carson make some comment he didnt like.

Nostalgic Regards...Gerald

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i don't know what happened to his gun collection, but i read, and this is not a joke, that roy had his horse Trigger stuffed and he was on display somewhere. i am serious about this.
    steve balistreri

3. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Roy's Model 12 was displayed in the museum in Victorville, CA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9cghyhsLKA

Watch the movie to see Trigger.

Is the display now in Branson?

4. deadelk

deadelk Member

I built a house full of plantation shutters for Roy's daughter. She and her husband travel the country going to cowboy type conventions and shows. Their home is full of Roy and Dales' stuff. Posters (Dale was a real knockout) saddles, pictures ect. Very nice and interesting people.

5. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

overthe hill, not sure where the MD12 is now but the gun you speak of was gorgeous (atleast to a Model 12 lover).

6. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Roy shot trap. He was at the Grand anumber of times.

7. mike b.

mike b. Member

Did you mean: Roy Rogers ?

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Roy's museum opened first in Apple Valley,Ca., later on, it was moved to Victorville,Ca. a few miles to the west. It's now located in Branson,MO.

The model 12 that Roy shot most was one given to him by Clark Gable to encourage him to shoot trap. He did break his first 200 straight singles with it in Las Vegas at the old Mint GC., I think it was called something like the Silver Saddle GC at that time? If I recall correctly, he also repeated that feat at the Grand American later on. That model 12 has CG inlaid in gold letters on the trigger guard. Roy told me this when I was president of the Apple Valley GC in the very early 80s. He and I shot buddy shoots several times but his favorite model 12 was in the museum by that time. I kidded him about his model 12 not shooting as many times on a miss as his "six-shooter" did in the movies! We got a chuckle out of that kidding.

I also had the honor of having both Roy and Dale sitting beside me at the head table during our yearly banquet! Roy was a very nice guy and always willing to help out anyone around the area. When getting out of a common looking Chevy van wearing a ball-cap instead of a cowboy hat, many people didn't recognize him! Many times he'd stop to help someone change a flat on their vehicle! His great wife, Dale Evans, was the family mouth-piece! She always had a come back and quick of tongue in every conversation. A very fun lady to be around in any situation. I've wished many times I had a video of the banquets and buddy shoots we shared but that just wasn't to be. Oh, the memories of shooting trap and the fine people we meet along the trails!! Hap

9. awbenz

awbenz TS Member

I watched Roy Shoot at the Grand in 1962. Allen

10. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Just for those that like Old Roy try the web address above to se a comercial for the theater and museam in Branson Mo.

Hoosier Daddy Roy's adopted son died many years ago in the military in a freak accident. The one that sings and is the "President and Executive Director of The Roy Rogers-Dale Evans Museum. Since the passing of his Dad and Mom, Dusty acts as the main spokesperson for the entire Rogers family." His name is Roy Rogers Jr. They call him Dusty.

Bob Lawless

11. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

anyone wanting to see how beautiful the model 12 mentioned above is. get a copy of dave riffles book on model 12,s near the back of the book is a picture of roy kissing the old model 12. there is another picture of the gun on a wall with another beautiful model 12. in riffles book it is printed that roy bought the model 12 from gable for 10 cents after one of them had a bad round of trap one day.dwain

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Dwain, that may be written in the Dave's book but thats not what Roy told me at the Apple Valley gun club! Hap

13. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

hap, you have 1st hand knowledge. i am sure roy remembered the way it happened. riffles version made for better story telling in his book though.lol.lol. riffles book is one of the best out there concerning model 12,s but i am sure their are some inaccuracies. that would have been really great to have had roy & dale siiting at the same table as you . very few people can say that.dwain

14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

I just would like to say this is one of the best posts I read in a long time and brings back those Happy Trails song days I remember as a kid. I just have to add I went to the PA state shoot with my friend George Van Riper and driving for two days each way from Florida you get to know a person pretty well and it was a great experience and trip. I mention this because George did mention that he and Clark Gable were room mates in the Army for basic training in Miami FL. Clark wanted him to go to England with him but George wanted to go to Airplane mechanics school so passed on England. He did become a plane mechanic and was assigned to take care of Lou the toe Garosa's plane an old NFL kicker. In those days if you repaired a plane and said it was fixed they made the mechanic suit up and go for the test ride according to George who I surly believe. George will be 87 this year and still shoots very well and is very completive and my good friend.
    Buddy

15. mosby1

mosby1 TS Member

roy rodgers restaurants have good fried chicken

16. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I'm 60 and Roy was my hero! Still is! It's a shame that kids today don't have a Roy Rogers. Even in life he was bigger than life--look what he and Dale did adopting kids and making a good home for them. You never heard of a Rogers family member in any trouble.
    Had the pleasure to hunt with Dusty Rogers at a charity event a time or two. This story tells a bunch! There was a silent auction with proceeds going to a charity. Dusty circulated and bid on several items. It was pretty obvious that he was boosting numbers to keep everything going. I was standing talking to him when he looked up and said Oh No! I looked where he was looking and there was a boy of about 10 or 12 bidding on a knife. I went over, looked at the bid sheet an Dusty and the boy were the only two bidders. ended up that Dusty bought the knife and gave it to the boy after he signed it and added a small gift. I don't think anybody saw it but me. That was CLASS!
    This was at the Arkansas Warerfoul banquet in N.Littlerock Ar.

17. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

In the Guns & Ammo Special 500th Issue (November 2001), there are pictures of Roy Rogers at an "NRA Trap Shoot in the mid-80's". On the next page there's a picture of Roy Rogers pointing a Model 12. The picture is captioned "Roy Rogers draws a bead with his favorite Model 12 Winchester, which once belonged to Clark Gable". Roy is pictured beneath a statue of a rampant "Trigger".

The entire article brings memories back of actors who were real shooters.

John Wayne, and his sons, Patrick and Michael.

John Russell, western actor.

John Milius, director and producer.

Jerry Mathers, of "Leave It To Beaver" fame.

Darren McGavin, "Kolchak, Night Stalker".

Robert Stack - "Elliot Ness", and world class skeet shooter.

Slim Pickens, "Moses" himself, and the "Velvet Fog" - Mel Torme.

The entire article brought back a flood of memories. With the exception of Tom Selleck, and a few others, you can see what has become of Hollywood.

Best,
    Dennis

18. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

Sir(s)

I have been to the Roy and Dale museum several times--The famous Mdl.12 is there,as well as several of his trap,and skeet guns---all(?) of his 6 shooters.

The story printed with the Mdl 12,is that he bought the gun from Clark Gable for 600.00 dollars.

If you are going to Branson Mo.--the museum is a great place to visit.

P.S. Just North of Branson(on Hwy 65)there is a great Trap,Skeet,and sporting clays shooting range.

19. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

George Peppard and his son were pheasant hunters.

I ate breakfast at the table next to them in SD the morning of the season opener in '72 or '73. And then George introduced me to his son, Steven, if I remember correctly in the elevator going back up to our rooms.

They were here as guests of my hunting friend's father who owned a Buick and International dealership.

Whiz

20. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

In the early 80's, I stopped at the Roy Rodgers museum in Victorville,
    Cal. As I walked in, I noticed a group of about six people talking. Looking
    closer, I noticed one of them was Roy Rodgers. I introduced myself and we
    talked trap shooting for several minutes. Roy walked me over and showed
    me his Model 12 which was behind glass. There was also several photo's
    of Hollywood stars including Clark Gable shooting trap and skeet. What
    a class act Roy was! You would have thought he was your next door neighbor.
    Having grown up watching Roy Rodgers and Gene Autry on film and TV I was
    thrilled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

roy rogers shooting skeet in hou tx

roy rogers shooting trap

youtube roy rogers trap shooting