1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rowdy has passed on.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim Porter, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

My lab has made his last ride. The last year or so he was deaf, couldn't control his bowels and his muscles had atrofied to the point that he could stand and walk but if anything got in his way he would fall and have a tough time getting up. Even then he tried to be a happy dog! He would wag his tail and try to hop around when he saw me coming. He was a gift from a friend and I paid almost $3000 having him trained many uears ago. I worked in the sporting goods sales, he made a ton of trips, shows, and hunts. We spent many, many nights on the road together. Finally he laid in one spot for three days where I delivered feed and water and then he got up to walk and shrieked in pain. That was it. I could not in good concience let him hurt. He was 16 on dec 9 and left on Jan 8. He was the most gentile animal I have ever seen.
    There is a huge hole in my life. There is also a ton of very good memories.
    I read once that good dogs go to a place where they can play had have a good life until their master comes by and calls and they go together from that piont. If that is true, I know where he is and I will definitely see him again.
    Sure is a different place around here now.

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Heart felt condolances to you ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Very Sorry for your loss. Here is a link and the poem Rainbow Bridge. Bill Malcolm

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jim: I know exactly how you feel. When we lost our yellow lab due to cancer it was heart breaking. He was only 9. Your lab had a good long life and your memories of him will live on. I said when my lab died that I would never get another dog. Well, 2 months later we got a black lab puppy. It's been 4 years and we love our black lab as much as we did our yellow lab. BUT, we will never forget the memories of our beloved Toma. I know it's hard, but one day give some thought to a new companion. Rowdy would want it that way. Take care and my heart goes out to you. If only people had the same qualities as a dog; we would have a better world. Ed

5. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Beretta687EELL,

Thank you,that was a pleasure to read.

Sandy Holehouse

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

You are welcome, Sandy. It was posted for me when I had to put Winston down almost 3 years ago. It was a great comfort then and still brings a lump to my throat. Bill Malcolm

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I love having dogs, hate losing them. Almost ready for a new one, hopefully my last.

HM

8. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I feel your pain also---If we were only as good as they think we are---SJB---

9. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Jim, i know the pain you feel, i have been there a few times, i said no more pets. But after 5 yr we adopted a 6yr old GSP, the best dog i ever had, house trained, crate trained ,and best of all, she loves to hunt, best pointer i have ever hunted with.So don't wait to get another one..

10. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

I just had to have my granddaughters' 11 year old irish setter put down, having bad pain in his hips and left front leg. Couldnt get up without crying. He wasnt a hunting setter but the kids loved him and so did we. I dont know how you tell little kids about the rainbow bridge, but I will try. Thanks for a great thread here, I needed to tell someone too.
    Kevin McIlwain

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I lost my constant companion on 1-15 last year and I know what you are going thru.

You will never forget but time does help.

Rick in Mt.

12. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Sorry about your dog, Jim. It's one of the hardest things to have to go through, losing a great companion. God bless you and help you remember the good times with you pup. Jeff

13. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Jim,

I have been thru the agony of loosing many pets,and it DONT GET ANY EASIER even as you get older!!!!!!!!!!!.My thoughts are with you.

Sandy Holehouse

14. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

You have my condolences your post brought me to the point of tears as I've lost three "best friends" like yours they were labs. I was 12 the other were 14. They all brought great joy and love to our home and once we brought that new pup home things got better and the loss was lessened.

15. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Been there too..I know how you feel..the best thing you can do to honor him is to rescue one of his four legged cousins...somewhere out there is a good pup that had a bad owner who just gave him up..I know that you could totally turn each others lives around in a positive direction...thats how I got my black lab and I've not regretted it one second and neither will you

16. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

My deepest sympathies. Nothing is worse than losing a devoted member of the family. Neil Swenson

17. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Jim, many of us feel your pain deeply. I had to put my fourteen year old Lab down a few years back, and it was six years before I was ready for another dog. Now I share my life with my Chesapeake Rocky, who will be a year old in a little over a week. The new ones never replace the old ones in your heart, but they do create new memories to treasure.

18. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I'm sorry Jim. So many of us share your grief. There are no words that will reduce it but time will round the edges off. Losing them is the final bill we pay after a lifetime of expenses well spent on them.

19. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Sorry to hear of your loss. I think the only thing bad about having a dog is that they just don't live as long as we do. My wife lost her "Casey" a couple years ago and she still gets emotional when she sees pictures of her. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.