1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotgut Whiskey Review

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by timb99, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Well, since we have an Irish Whiskey thread and a Vodka thread, why not the "good stuff?"

Worst whiskey I ever had is a neck and neck race between two well-known Thai whiskeys:

Sang Thip

and the more well-known spirit,

Mekhong

Tried them both and hated them both. No amount of mixer helped. Both of these are good for only one thing. Molotov Cocktails.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Ten High

It doesn't get any worse.

3. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

timb99 I got use to drinking Leaping Deer after a few months and a little smoke. Many many years ago. Anyone like Georgia Moon, not the homemade. Yuch!

4. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

four roses. Yuck

5. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Old Crow ? no way give me some Old Squirrel ! I dont want to fly , just hop around a little ! Jeff

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My father inlaw always wanted to give me " Old Charter" Never tried it but he said it was good and cheap. Southern Comfort is the worst stuff I ever put in my mouth and I like all whiskey just some better than others

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Old Charter, Old Crow, Wild Turkey, take your pick.

8. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I agree with timb99 one time when I was in Thailand, I ran out of Crown and was down town and started drinking Mekong, the next day it hurt to piss so bad I thought I caught the clap

But that that happened a couple of weeks later, just kidding

9. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

One man's rotgut is another man's sipping whiskey.

I like my bourbon with a little character and am not fond of Makers Mark or any of the Tennessee whiskeys. However, some bourbons to me are too strong.

I would not call it rotgut but I once bought a 5th of Colonel Lee bonded 100 proof that was 4 years old in Virginia in the 1960's. It had a lot of "bite" and you could not overpower the taste with Coke or any other soft drink.

Georgia Moon also was rough and at 180 proof was fit only for spiking the punch.

I once won a 12 bottle case of Early Times in a raffle and after a few sips gave it away.

For my money, the Beam whiskeys are good and I really like Brown-Foreman's Old Forester.

Stitzel-Weller used to make Old Fitzgerald, Wellers, Rebel Yell and Cabin Still. Julian P. Van Winkle was the master distiller. Of the various brands,
    Cabin Still was an entry level inexpensive 90 proof 4 year old but it was made from the same formula as the more expensive whiskeys. It just was not aged as long. I was raised on Cabin Still and really liked the taste. However, the Stitzel-Weller distillery has changed hands and some of the brands have been sold off or discontinued. I believe that the Buffalo Trace distillery now makes some of the brands.

When you are really tired and are not up to the challenge of a good bourbon, a smooth Canadian on the rocks makes a good nightcap.

If you really want to tie one one on and get a world class hangover, try Imperial blended whiskey and Carling Black Label beer.

Ed Ward

10. cubancigar2000

Carling black label??? I drank that ( when I had to) 30 years ago but dod not know it is still made?

11. wolfram

Oh come on Pheasantmaster, Wild Turkey=rotgut?, who-hit-john maybee but it is a step above rotgut.

12. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

McCormick Straight Bourbon Whiskey from Weston, MO. Absolutely horrid.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

For whisky on the cheap I like Canadian mist.

Ten high is sraight up poison.

14. cubancigar2000

Actually I like Wild Tirkey, 100 proof, how can ya go wrong

15. wolfram

Wild Turkey 101 was part of my nature studies minor in college. Bit more than I can handle these days. Pendelton Canadian is more my speed now.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Biff, you strain that shine through a loaf of bread after the car radiator, LOL.

HM

17. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Ancient Age ranks right up there w/ the worst!

18. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

I vote with Wolfram on the Pendleton. If funds are short toward the end of the month, try MacNaughton. Best $9 bottle of whisky out there. As for rot gut, definitely Ten High & don't forget the old Safeway house brand, Cold Brook. John

19. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Go to Walmart and look for the bottle on the bottom shelf labeled "Whiskey". They also have "vodka", "rum", and even "scotch". None with a name anyone would recognize. All slightly worse than Corby's, Ten High, etc.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Hitapair: you been smoke'in wacky weed. 10 year old Ancient Age is one of the better brands, for the price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best cheap rotgut whiskey

macnaughton whiskey review

macnaughton whisky review

mcnaughton whiskey review

rot gut whiskey brands

rotgut whiskey brands

southern comfory rotgut

wild turkey 101 rotgut