1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotgut Beer review

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I love these booze threads, brings back memories. Years ago I drank ( didn't say I liked them) Drewerys, Wiedemanns, Strohs, Carlings Black Label, Fallstaff, Old Crown Ale, Berghoff, Centliver, Blatz, Hoffbrau, Omalleys, Ballentine Ale,Warbird, Mad Anthony. Most of these were brewed in my home town of Ft Wayne Indiana. The only ones that were not were Strohs, Blatz, Alps Brau, Wiedemanns & Drewerys. The Falstaff was the worst I ever tasted but they had a free hospitality room that was almost always open. I was 17 and they didnt care, the employees were always drunk. We had 3.2 % beer for 18 years old and older, then at 21 you could buy 6%. Lets here about some old beers you drank that are not around any longer

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Grain Belt in funky little bottles. Way before I was a legal beer drinker. Thought it tasted pretty good as all pilfered beer did.

3. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I've never really found a beer I wouldn't drink. If it tastes bad, drink more of them and it will start tasting better!

4. cubancigar2000

I used to buy Colt 45 Malt in small cans ( 6 oz) at the Slop Shute ( for you non Marines that was the base bar) for 15 cents a can ( 1962)

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Gobel was the cheapest brew for us teenage farmhands back in the day;

We used to pronounce it with a French twang to make it sound more attractive- (szchobell')

Man the hangovers! but we had the cure.

6. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Stegmaier, from York, PA. Dunno if it's still made, but it was the cheapest stuff around about 30 years ago. It tasted like real pisselwasser, pardon my Dutch.

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Falls City tops my list.

8. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Great Falls Select from Great Falls, Mt. Fish p*** would have to taste better.

9. Bavaria-Grade

Bavaria-Grade Member

The worst beer that I ever tried was Valley Forge. That stuff was horrible.

10. clayshtr

clayshtr Member

Hamms, from the land of sky blue waters. Boy was that stuff nasty but they sure had some beautiful beer signs.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Buckhorn

And do you remember (maybe it was just where I grew up) "generic" products?

It was all packaged in plain white with black lettering. They had generic cigarettes, generic canned vegetables...and my favorite...they had generic beer. It was awful. I think there was a Falstaff brewery in Omaha and the generic beer was the dregs they wouldn't put in a Falstaff can.

12. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

cuban, you old drunk,,lol,, did you ever have any 905?? There was a liquor store here in St. Louis called 905 and they had their own private label,,man that sh@@ would cross your eyes and tasted worse than Falstaff,,if you can believe that,,

13. cubancigar2000

Hamms. I just bought 20 cases today. No I dont drink it a friend does and my wife works at the beer dist so we get it $2 a case. I like Hamms draft but not in the can but for $2 who cares

14. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

timb99. Food 4 Less sold the beer. We called in White Light. Like you said, white can, black lettering - LIGHT BEER. The Falstaff bottles had the little word games under the lid.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I stumbled upon an old pic of my senior class of "83" all holding longneck bottles of wiedlemiers {yuck] at the local swimming hole.

The thing that srikes me most is how SKINNY we all looked compared to the kids nowdays. You could see the rib bones on all the guys and the hottie little chicks sporting tiny waistlines.

Man I would give a years worth of prime rib and single malts for one weekend of that fountain of youth!

16. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

How about FOX DELUXE? It was so bad that there could't be a FOX regular!

17. cubancigar2000

OICU812- watch your mouth. I am old but not a drunk. I used to be a drunk though LOL. I fianally got smart enough to realize that at 66 years old a hangover just aint gittin it. I limit myself now, too bad I didnt do that when I was younger. No I never heard of 905, thats one I missed

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Buckhorn beer and welfare cheese nachos, life was good!

19. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

must have been a St. Louis thing,,,I know what ya mean I'm 62 and the "next day" damn sure hurts sometimes,,,

20. TERRYB

TERRYB Member

How about BULLFROG beer? It was sold in green glass quart bottles for 35 cents a quart in northern Indiana about 1962........It tasted so bad it would make your mouth run from your face........Terry