1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotator cup surgery

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by twcpdc, Dec 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

anyone had this surgery if so how long before you were shooting again. thanks tom

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

My rotator cuff was injured when I was pulling weights at the gym as a 19 year old. Man, that took a long time to heal. Almost a year before I could lift my bent elbow at a right angle to my body. I wasn't shooting, but it kept me from pulling my bow for more than 2 years. I still can't do a hook shot with that arm after all this time.

3. capvan

capvan Active Member

Way too many variables to this question for you to get a meaningful answer. I had rotator cuff surgery and it was 6 months before I got back to shooting.

Each person is different, each surgeon is different, the degree of repair is different, everything is unique. Nothing is the same for different people.

Rehab is a royal PITA, but it must be endured.

Any specific questions, I'd be glad to help.

Bruce
    kb1iix@arrl.net

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

With today's medicine and technology the recovery time is a lot quicker than yesteryear. I am going in for Labrum and Rotator Cuff and was told the actual surgery will be a quick 20-30 mins, but the recovery time is extensive. I am counting on being out from any type of moderate labor for at least 4-5 months. However, I was told I could be back to work behind my desk with in 6 weeks.

Check out the above link, it pretty much explains what you might experience after surgery.

Bryan

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Last January 21 I had a torn Labrum (33cm) repaired, torn bicep repaired and 2 bone spurs on the shoulder blade removed. I did Physical therapy for 5 months then established a routine at home with the rubber bands attached to the door and 5 lb weights twice per week. I shot after 5 months but with pain taken care of with an ice pack. Although I am lax'd on my exercise, I am relatively pain free and on the way to shoot right now. So, with proper exercise and not being impaitent, I'd say at least 1 year for about as full recovery as one can expect. You'll always have arthiritis. Good luck.

blade819

6. superump

superump TS Member

I had a severed rotator cuff and had the surgury three years ago. Greatest surgury I ever had - now have complete movement of my arm after years of problems and restrictions. I had 6 weeks of recovery and not moving my arm away from my body. Then 4 weeks of water therapy and exercises. then the doctor told me I needed to wait one more month and when he released me I could shoot again. he told me your body will tell you when you have shot enough for the day and don't over do it. I was back shooting quickly with no problems or pain. My rotaror cuff was torn for years and miss diagnosed till I fell on some ice several winters ago and finally completely severed the cuff and finally had it properly diagnosed and fixed. As I said - GREATEST THING THAT EVER HAPPENED TO ME - all my arm movement back and no pain and my surgury was done in FEB. and I was shooting league that summer. GOOD LUCK!

7. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Sounds like some good positive comments.

Are you having your shooting shoulder worked on or your holding shoulder? I am a right hand shooter, but having surgery on my left shoulder. Hoping I can start shooting earlier.

Bryan

8. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

It is my shooting shoulder surgery was 12/1 6 weeks in sling going to pt 3 days a wk I am hoping to start shooting in April

9. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Tom,

Had both shoulders totally replaced, left July 08, right May 09, only now starting to shoot as well as 8-10 years ago. (right handed)

PT is tough but needs to be done (no pain, no gain) Doc knows best we can only relate our experiences.

Good luck, stay positive it does get better.

Release Trigger.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I've had both shoulders totally replaced and I'd rather have that than rotator cuff surgery.

11. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Actually I went thru it and was trap shooting in 2 weeks. I know I hear it now but I have plenty of witnesses. I am right handed, got my left shoulder done. Since I couldnt reach out and hold the forearm and this was devistating to me. I'm a diehard and have to shoot. So I had my wife go to Walmart and pick up a single legged telescopic shooting stick. I put this shooting stick in my left hip pocket and shot in my Trap Leagues in the winter. Everyone laughed but I got to be half decent at it. That same winter I still couldnt be missing my crow hunting so my buddy broke out a 20 gauge O/U, I got a beach style lounge chair, and when they told me to get ready I'd shoulder the gun and pop away.

12. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Barry you are the man I am not that diehard good to some are. Tom

13. Happy1

Happy1 TS Member

You may want to give some serious thought to a PFS stock post repair. I completely blew my right arm and shoulder apart in a very serious fall and could not shoot for 2 1/2 years. I actually thought I would not shoot again. Thanks to Vern and the PFS I can shoot all day completely pain free. It's a god send. Just a thought.....

Lynne E.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

(3) left shoulder surgeries here. First completely seperated Labrum and torn rotator cuff. Surgery took about an hour. PT lasted about 6 wks(three times a week) and alot of at home exercises and stretching. It took nearly 6 months before i could do any extreme activities. That was in 1996 when i was a bit younger. The last was in '09 and involved bone spurs. Surgery was done in less than 20 minutes and recovery was very fast.

Like one poster stated, TOO many variables to give a good answer to your question. The biggest variable in the equation is YOU. Do the PT and don't cheat. You'll understand what i mean by that once you start.

Matt

15. superump

superump TS Member

Mine was my shooting shoulder

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Best advise anyone can give you is the following: Be faithful about the rehab exercise regement that your Physical Therapist gives you. I've had five shoulder surgeries on the same shoulder including two replacements. I can write a book on rehab it would be short. No pain no gain. do the exercises at home and at the Pt's office. don't go to fast as you can do damage follow the doc's instructions and it will work out. Allow 6 months before shooting if it's sooner good for you. Good luck

17. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

You are right about the simple things that you do everyday being hard to do. The left hand just doesn't function like the right. I took pain pills for 3 days now only take one a hour or two before PT. Told the guy at PT to day I was hoping to start shooting in April he said he though it was possible. Thanks for all of your input. Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.