1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotator Cuff Surgery

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Barrelbulge(Fl), Nov 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Aug 27, 2007
    West Central Florida
    I had mine done on June or July 9th, not sure which. I still have pain in my shoulder. I sleep on my side rotating right to left and back. When I get up in the morning the whole shoulder area is sore for about an hour then it eases up. Bulge.
  2. MilfordMike

MilfordMike TS Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Good time of the year to have that surgury - That said, I had that same surgury about 6 years ago on my right shoulder. Most important thing about the surgury is do EXACTLY what the doc tells you. Mine said that I could not shoot for 90 days as that is how long it takes to have those areas heal. I started using a 410 on the 91st day and for a couple of weeks after that just to be sure. One thing - Make sure you rent, buy, or borrow a ice water pump / cold pack unit to keep on your shoulder for the first few days. Also, start now to learn how to shave and wipe yourself with your left hand as your right will be kinda useless for 6-8 weeks. I ain't goinna kid you - this will be a tuff one but everything will heal and you will be back to normal in 6 months. Just keep telling yourself that when your hurting. Hope this helps -
  3. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Drew My surgery was last sept {14months ago } still don't get a good nights sleep,,,can not sleep on my side ,yes it was my right shoulder ,as you know I shoot right handed ,,hopefully yours will go better ,,mx8Dave
  4. twotimer

twotimer Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Drew, had mine done about 4 years ago. Couldn't sleep on my right shoulder before surgery. Had it done 1st part of Nov., went sail fishing in Costa Rica in Jan. Didn't have any problems. It is now 100% Each person has a different recovery time because there different problems that show up when they get in there. I have one friend that took almost 6 mo to recover. He had more problems then I. Good luck, Mike
  5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I had the right one done about 17 years ago and the left one done about 5 years ago. It is very painful surgery and rehab. It took 11 years before the injury interfered enough in my life to make the surgery worthwhile. Would I have it done again, if needed, yes. Will you be 100% again, no. Try to stay away from raising your elbow above your shoulder.

You will be pretty much back to normal for most things after 6 to 8 weeks ... at least this was my experience.

The key to your recovery is the rehab. Do exactly as they tell you ... no more and no less!!!!! Good luck. Bill Malcolm
  6. texasbilly

texasbilly Member

May 22, 2009
    Rotator cuff surgery comes in many forms. The surgery on my right shoulder was arthroscopic and I had little pain. I had the surgery on a Thursday morning, and went home that afternoon. Though my arm was in a sling for a week, I went to work four days after surgery. I learned to do everything left-handed, and learned to make adjustments to the way I did things for a while.

I was worried about not being able to shoot sporting clays for months. However, I began shooting a 410 bore shotgun left handed about four weeks after the surgery. That kept me going for a few weeks until I bought a 12 gauge with a special recoil system that offered no real push on that shoulder. In no time I was back shooting on a regular basis.

The secret to recovery from rotator cuff surgery is physical therapy. What the therapist tells you to do - do it.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mar 14, 2006
    I had both shoulders done about eight years ago. One is still holding, the other is hopeless untill they figure out a way to reattach the severed tendon. Two things. Do the PT and don't ever overstress the shoulder again. It won't be worth the pain and frustration to lose the full use of the arm.
  8. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Had surgery in both, right one was a major tear and it never has been 100%. I would recommend lots of physical therapy and little lifting or shooting for a long time. I think I started back too fast. Glenn
  9. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I was lucky....I was diagnosed with rotator cuff tendonitis back in late August.....4 weeks of physical therapy and no shooting was what it took to get me back to almost normal. I am lifting weights again now without trouble but have made sure not to over extend myself.

I was told the biggest thing to do is the daily physical therapy workouts....don't be lazy and skip it here and there....do them everyday!!!
  10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Good old rotator cuff! :-(

2 years ago I tore a muscle in my right shoulder (rotator cuff).

I ask the Doc for an honest opinion on success. He said 50%. The reason I asked is because a friend's surgery didn't work, and he is worse off now.

I asked if there was any other way besides surgery ... he said if I built up the muscle on each side of the torn one, that I would be almost as good as new. He gave me a thick piece of rubber and showed me how to exercise with it.

Sitting there, exercising with it, I thought "Damn! This is stupid! It is the same motion as using my loader!

Every other day, I load some ammmo.

I am now loading faster that I can shoot them up ... have 47 flats loaded and just sitting there!
  11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Near but not in chicago
    First of make usre you find a surgeon that specailizes in shoulders. I speak from experience. I've had five surgeries on the same shoulder all suucessful including the last one two years ago. My surgeon replaced my total replacement which I had 15 yeras ago. Second find a physical therapist tht has worked with sholders it is the most diffcult joint in the body to work with do to it's range of motion. Stay with the exercise regiment do'not say " hurts today I'll do the at home stuff tomorrow". Ask about a pulley that hnags on a door top that allows you to pull the affected arm up with the good arm(range of motion) they are great.
  12. drh08

drh08 TS Member

Jun 30, 2006
    Wish you hadn't started this thread, 41 years old and can't throw my kids around the pool. Darn right shoulder just won't take it for some reason. I did the shots, the exercises and no luck. Seeing a surgeon in December and going to tell him to just fix it. However as odd as it is, it's my right shoulder and I am left handed, so that solves a few problems. However my goal is to get back to what I had, not a level down as that is where I already am. WOW 4-6 months hu?
  13. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Sydney Australia

I have had both shoulders totally replaced, was not a walk in the park, 6 months each shoulder to heal, physio three times a day every day.

Total pain free now, (2 years left and 18 months since right) state of mind is a big factor, remain positive and always remember it will get better, time is a great healer.

When I felt sorry for myself I just remembered numerous trips I had to the Childs cancer ward at one of our large hospitals (Sydney Australia), brings you back to reality real quick.

I relieved the long process by having gun related work done, 2 sets of barrels re-blued, 1 x Krieghoff action re-nickled, 1 x Stock lock built,(best investment I ever made) 2 x Beretta 682's totally rebuilt and timber re-done, new gun cases, all in all the rehab cost me nearly as much as the surgery.
    All this helped me keep positive and have something to look forward to when I recovered.

After Five knee replacements, both shoulders, total rebuild and fusion of left ankle and amongst all that throw in Prostate cancer along the way, life is now pretty darn good with my scores nearly back to what they were 6 years ago.

Mate, it is human to feel sorry for one's self but remember there is always someone else worse off, as my wife says it was just another bump in lifes highway, being around positive people is a big factor in recovery.

All the best with a speedy trip back to good health.

"Release Trigger"..........aka.Gary Kennerson....Downunder.

PS. Gettin old ain't for sissy's.
  14. 99 from the 20

99 from the 20 TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Drew, I have had both shoulders worked on the last time was May of 09, Doc told me take my time in getting back to shooting. Took 2009 off from shooting and did my rehav.just like the Doc ordered. I'm glad I did. So don't push yourself for I want to see you shooting again.

Linda Bergstresser
  15. Herb Roach

Herb Roach Member

Aug 17, 2008
    I have a friend who had right shoulder surgery. After a time, he tried to shoot. Couldn't hold the gun up. Never shot another clay target after that. Problem: He thought the PT was a bunch of sh-t. Even his daughter and Son-in-law couldn't convince him to do the therapy. They are Physical Therapist and Dr. respectively. He has completely given up. He is 82/83 and otherwise good health, but he is homebound, wheelchair bound, and when he can stand, (with a lot of help from a mechanical devise) he walks very poorly with a walker. Friends, please, if you are going to have surgery on a knee or shoulder, and you have time, get into some type of muscle building program, lose weight, and above all do whatever exercise, PT that is specified by the Dr. It can happen to you. By the way, his surgery was arthroscopic!! HR
  16. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Feb 22, 2008
    I had an accident and tore my Subscapularis and Supraspinatus (Full thickness tears) I also completely tore my biceps muscle in half on my right arm I am right handed.
    I also shoot right. I have had three surgery's on my right shoulder and biceps muscle since 2007. My first surgery was "open" this means that they make a 6" cut on the front of your shoulder. The next two were arthroscopic. I had a "Frozen Shoulder" after my first surgery.
    What I will say is physical therapy is absolutely necessary! It will be a slow recovery but if you do the work it will come. It took me 6 months after the first surgery and I was happy to gain 1/4" movement a day if lucky. I did three sessions of PT EVERY DAY!!!
    It will also hurt........ALOT!!
    Get the ice water pump you will need it!
    As for shooting I can shoot but not at the level I was at. I simply can not take the practice to maintain a AAA average. It is not the recoil but the lack of strength that affects my shooting I simply can not hold the gun up after 75 targets.
    I know I would not be able to shoot Left handed as I can not support the weight of the gun with my extended Right arm.
    That said my advice is after surgery do the PT and do not get discouraged! The pain will go away!
    Good Luck!
  17. Mike Mahaffy

Mike Mahaffy Member

Jan 19, 2007
    I had my left shoulder surgery on Friday 13th of August. Major tear in rotator cuff and tendon tear. Surgery lasted about 45 minutes (darn good nap for me). Rehab was not the most fun and was long (8-10 weeks). I shot a 300 bird FITASC shoot in early October. Shoulder is 100%. Only regret is waiting for 20+ years to do the repair. Tell your Dr. you are a shooter and make sure the therapist knows too, they will help you along with your therapy, they can actually structure your therapy to help you get back to shooting. The exercises you are given by the therapist will be uncomfortable, NO PAIN-NO GAIN. Do what you are told when you are told. Set yourself a goal to be shooting and drive yourself to be there, IT WORKS!!!!!Follow the instructions of your Doctor and Therapist to the letter and move on. Mental attitude towards the surgery and recovery can make you or break you- know it ahead of time and address it properly- See You At the Range (Soon)!
    Good Luck with it.
  18. JEB

JEB Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    My wife had rotator cuff surgery about 10 years ago as the result of an Aikido injury. It took her 6 months to fully recover. She now shoots about hundreds of rounds per week. As Bruce S said, get a doctor who specializes in shoulders, not some general orthopod who does a little of everything, and do your PT without fail. Go to a large metropolitan area or a university medical center if possible for a surgeon. If you have an NFL or a MLB team near you, find out who they use for shoulders. He will have a lot of practice. With the right doctor and religious therapy, you should be as good as new.

John Bergman
  19. Franktri

Franktri Member

Mar 30, 2009
    I have been diagnosed with rotator cuff with partially torn tendon and bone spur plus arthritis. I'm 70 and have heard mixed stories about rehab, all include painful plus long rehab. I'm not sure I want any part of the surgery as I am still able to shoot with no real pain. I guess it all depends on the individual and where he holds the gun. In my case, I tuck the gun inside the shoulder and there is no contact with my injury. Notwithstanding further deterioration, I will hold pat for now..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

physical therapy for trap shooters