1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotator Cuff: Had Repair

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chango2, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Had endoscopic sugery last Thursday to repair right rotator cuff, my shooting side. Outpatient repair. Done by Dr. Wm. Stetson of Burbank, Calif. The .wmv files of the operation on my shoulder showed a mess...total rotator cuff repair, two huge bone spurs. Took 2.5 hours to repair and two screws...anchors, that is. I am quite impressed, very livable discomfort so far, start physical therapy in six days. Dr. Stetson is well regarded and familiar with trapshooting...he has helped other shooters. His sport is beach volleyball. I recommend one's seeing him, the old injuries were just getting too ridiculous to deal with. Any other questions and feedack re. your experiences appreciated. Most techy med procedure I've ever had.

No shooting for four to six months, only downside. So upside is a chance to catch up on reading and feeling better re. the shoulder and saving a few bucks not shooting..gotta look on the good sides. Again, any shared experiences re. this repair appreciated. Perhaps we can all help and educate one another re. this common day fix for a relatively common sports injury...mine due to crashing motorcycle years ago and then later on, ten years ago, getting out of a kayak all wrong and hearing a big noise of a tear! Then I naively lived with it..

Thanks to Dr. Stetson with much appreciation.

David Buchman
    Los Angeles

2. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

Dave, I had the same thing done several years ago. The most important thing is to do the rehab. It will not be fun but helps more than anything. You will get better a little each day. It took me over a year before the pain was all gone, but I can't tell now that I ever had anything done. You will know when you are ready to shoot again. Good luck.

3. TC

TC TS Member

Just to add, rehab is the most important thing!!! Follow the therapist's instructions to the letter! I can't stress this enough. Good Luck, Tony

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I had the same procedure done five months ago. PM me for some of my experiences if you wish......I have some suggestions about starting back to shooting.

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

To repeat, the key is the physiotherapy ... do EXACTLY what they tell you to do, no more no less. Bill Malcolm

6. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

David:

Dr. Walden in Colorado Springs who is the US Olympic Doctor operated on my shooting shoulder January of 2010. I went to rehab for 6 months, twice weekly, and realized that I could do the rubber bands and weights at home vrs. spending copayment money every week. I did stop therapy at home after about a year. My shoulder is about 90 percent, I can shoot but it still does hurt a little. I was told by the Doctor that artheritis will set in and that's what has happened. So my suggestion to you is do your therapy, always be careful in not straining it by lifting, keep it warm on cold nights and rainy days and travel with an ice bag.Torn Labrum, torn bicep, 2 bone spurs requiring 1/8 th inch trim. Good luck.

blade819

7. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

David.

Both shoulders totally replaced (arthritis from many years of body contact sports as a young-un)in the last two years, physio 4 times a day for 6-8 months (6 months left, non shooting shoulder, 8 months right,shooting shoulder)regaining strength is the key, long hard recovery.

I am good to go now with me planing on shooting entire Grand and Cardinal classic, I do shoot a Pat McCarthy stock-lock though which is great for re-coil

As all have stated you can never do enough physio/rehab, long slow and boring but well worth the end result.

Good luck.........Release Trigger

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

After (3) left shoulder surgeries and no cartilage left i'm having my left replaced in December. Can't stand the pain and immobility anymore. Listen to your doc and most importantly the Physical Therapist. The PT after the surgery is the most important step in the whole process. Remember all the exercises they teach you and continue them the rest of your life to keep your full range of motion and strength. Ice is your friend.

I got this with one of my surgeries. You put ice and water in the cooler and the wrap on your shoulder. It plugs in and circulates ice cold water thru the pad on your shoulder. I wouldn't trade it for anything. You can buy them on-line and there are many attachments available for back, knees, shoulder, etc.

It is a Polar Care Kodiak.
    [​IMG]

9. michael101

michael101 TS Member

I had mine done, stick with the rehab, after that is over, keep it up at home, just don't over do it. When I got the docs ok I started shooting light 1 oz loads, easy on the shoulder and my scores went up a little.

10. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks for the feedback; quite helpful. Had the surgery two weeks ago, and the postings have helped me not make an error or two. Physical therapist is a very pretty young lady; that helps! And she told me that now, the inside of the shoulder is very fragile...like a wet paper towel, so one has to be patient.

Also learned from the Dr. that it is not all that uncommon for ladies to have loose tendons that can cause shoulder problems; that tendon problem, if it arises, can be fixed by the surgeons and the repair is successful.

Rotator cuff problems seem to be able to be overcome, but pity the pro pitcher who lives on a flexible and strong arm. I learned rotator cuff injuries are the most serious for a pro baseball pitcher; 5-6 mph loss on pitch is often career ending.

This looks to turn out to be a successful and techy repair. I see the Dr. again 7 September. Looking forward to shooting again; maybe, just maybe, by end of the year.

David

11. TC

TC TS Member

Good Luck David, sounds like you are going to do well. Tony

12. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Hey!

I fell off a 30 ft ladder!

Good thing that I was only on the 2nd rung ... or I would have gotten hurt!

13. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Si,

I just read your comment. Had me laughing so hard that I might have damaged the rotator cuff again...or set back the pace of healing! Thanks...., good for the mental health...

David

14. Mike Mahaffy

Mike Mahaffy Member

My repair was 1 year ago. The advise given about rehab and therapy is right on. Do EXACTLY what your told when you're told. The old theory that many of us grew up with, "no pain, no gain" will simply re-injure your shoulder. My only other suggestion is that you make sure your therapist knows of your passion for shooting and desire to get back at it. My therapist was very aggressive and had me back at it in about 10 weeks. I had the repair on my left shoulder (right handed shooter), so it was a little easier. Repaired shoulder 100% now, still exercising and using my bands. Slow and steady- you'll be better than new. Good Luck!

P.S. Zardo- when the shoulder wakes you from a sound sleep- time to take a nap with your favorite surgeon next to you............

Mike Mahaffy

15. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Anyone have any experience with Disc repair in the neck. I am in therapy now for pinched nerve, and surgery may be coming in Sept. I am worried that I will not be able to shoot again!!

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

One thing that I did learn is that diagnosis is best done via MRI. Ultra sound and X Ray did not display the extent of damage I received. MRI displayed the frayed tendons, torn tendon, bone spur, muscle damage...but not the entire degree of the "mess".

BTW, I went to Dr. Stetson, of Stetson and Powell, Burbank, California. They are well known in this area for working with joint injuries and sports medicine. I also believe they can be somewhat eclectic in approach, I read that they also use "platlet therapy" when indiated. That's a new version of prolo therapy which "tricks" broken/injured parts to heal. Won't work with all injuries, but that therapy, BTW, done by another physician, fixed my half torn left achilles.

So...I recommend at least a consult with those guys. Dr. Powell, by the way, used to be "Santini" in the group, "Sha-Na-Na"...in his first career! The office features great momentoes on the wall, kinda a bonus each time going there.

David

17. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

David,

I agree my Doc would not proceed with both surgeries without MRI's, I also had left ankle tibial bone graft with fusion and same again no surgery without MRI.

We are lucky we have access to these very talented Doctors, without them we would be on the scrap heap.

Time and Physio are great healers, do the time do the work and you will reap the rewards,a great person once told me (my Mum) age and health are a state of mind get you mind right and you are 80% cured and forever young.

Regards,...Gary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.