1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rotating radial tires??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I recently purchased 4 new tires for my car. I kept the 2 rear tires because they looked still good. My aunt has the same model and year car that these tires originally came off as mine, but her 2 front tires are not as good as the two tires that I took off my car. The tires I took off are Cooper tires, her tires are Goodyear tires. Can I just put my two Cooper ties on her front end of her car being different brand tires? Also with these 2 tires coming off my rear of the car, do I criscross these 2 tires up front, or just move them straight up on the same side of the car as I originally had them on my car?
    Steve Balistreri

2. senior smoke

Chemist:
    No idea what directional radials are?
    Steve

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Pretty much all passenger car tires are radial as opposed to the old bias ply tires from years ago. As said directional tires have arrows embedded on the sidewalls showing the rotational direction and they can only be switched from front to back on the same side of the car.

Performance tires are directional, standard tires are not directional so you can rotate them as normal. Match the brands on the same axle, brand name does not matter in your case, size does.

Eric

4. vdt

vdt Active Member

do not cross over any tire ,front to rear only,when you take them off we mark them on the inside left or right ,should go back same way

5. senior smoke

Thanks everybody, I am trying to save my aunt the cost of two new tires.
    Steve

6. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I would not be afraid of mixing Coopers and Goodyears. I am assuming they are both just regular passenger car radials, not some high end performance radials. I have changed just a pair at a time on almost every car I ever had. The only time I got in trouble was putting a pair of high performance Michelin radials on the back of a car that just had plain passenger car General radials on front. It really handled weird until I bought two more of the same Michelins for the front. The problem was the car just would not go straight down the road. You had to fight the wheel to stay in your lane. As soon as I put matching tires on the front, it was a great driving car again. Good Luck

7. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I was taught to cross the front tires when moving them to the back and to bring the back tires to the front without crossing them. This will eliminate the cupping that occurs on the front tires.

Jim Skeel

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Jim.. Your are correct. My cars manual says straight from back to front and criss cross front to back.

I drive a 2007 Buick Terazza mini van.

9. TjayE

TjayE Member

Your tire rotation pattern depends on whether your vehicle is Front Wheel drive or Rear Wheel drive.

Vehicles with Front Wheel Drive move 'Front tires straight back and X Rear tires forward.' Vehicles with Rear Wheel Drive move 'Rear tires straight forward and X Front tires to the Rear.' Tron can verify this for you guys. Tom

10. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What TjayE said is how I do it as well, unless you have directional tires.

I got 70,000 miles out of a set of 40,000 mile tires doing this.

Your mileage may vary...

11. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

in the old days we crossed tires left rear to rt frt etc. The widely accepted practice today is frt to rear, rear to frt same side. Thats what I do

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

I asked this of a tire person,the answer was similiar to what's been said here.Newer radials it doesn't matter how you rotate them.When they first came out it was thought it would hurt the steel belts cross rotating.However,it is not the case,Also,something I never thought of with my 4wd truck,I was told,never mix tread patterns.Run the same tread pattern all the way around.Was told it can cause premature wear on some tires due to the tread difference fighting each other on dry surfaces.A softer rubber tire will suffer premature wear if mounted with a harder rubber tire. Again,this last info was directed towards trucks,not passemger cars.

Doug H.

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Front to back....that's all you got to remember.

14. 682LINY

682LINY Member

early design radials,,, 30 years ago,,,front to rear no cross over,,, if your tires are newer than this cross over is good,,un less derictional ( expensive ) 30 years in auto , tire and alignment/balance , as a manufactures service rep

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

2005 Dakota manual just the other day. Rears to front on same side and x the fronts to the rear. Bill

16. maka

maka Member

If your aunts rear tires are good, rotate them staight to front on each side. Then put your on the back. As long as the same brand is on each axile, it fine. Been there done that. Good Luck.

17. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Best idea is to rotate them front to back and keep them rotating in the same direction as when they were installed. Not all tires will require that, but why take a chance that your tires are ones that could have trouble. Having two different brands front to back is usually OK. Different tires side to side might not be a good idea on the drive axle. Radically different size tires can cause issues with the anti-lock as well.

18. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Tron is correct and has given you the easy answer. You can mix brands but shouldn't on the front or the rear, keep them on the same axle. Rotate front to rear on the same side to avoid" radial tire pull" the belt packages set in certain way due to latteral forces on the casing which may cause the car to pull in one direction or the other if the tires are crossed. Rotate every 2nd oil change to extend tire life on all four tires. Most tire dealers perform oil change services so both services can be done at one visit.

19. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

If going forward, they should all be rotating forward. If going backward, they should all be rotating backward. Anything else could be a problem. Maybe the president has a nifty little kernel of wisdom about that, since he recently made himself the shifter expert.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.