1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rookie Reloader Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3220, Jan 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3220

3220 Member

Hi,

Just getting into reloading and am setting up to reload Remington Gun Club and Federal 12 ga. If the books call for 209A primers can I only use Federal with the Federal and Remington for the Gun Club? I am sure this is an elementary question but I would hate to buy both unless I have to. Safety and reliability are the number one priority but I want to be efficient too.

I am planning to use Red Dot for the powder on both.

Thanks in advance,

Fred

2. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You can use any primer that you choose to buy. I personally use the Cheddite, but to each his own. You'll find that one of the most commonly used primer is the Win209. Remingtons are just too expensive. The Federals are one of the hottest primers.

Bryan

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Any 209 size primer will work in either hull. Kepp things simple and just use one primer. But - the loading data is specific to each hull type in addition to being primer specific and you will want to load the two hull types separately. More significant in your component selection will be the wad. The federal hull is a straight hull and requires a wad made for that application. Use a federal wad or clone. The Remington hull is tapered and requires a wad so designed. There are many good choices here. The Red Dot powder will work well in either hull just follow the loading data from the manufacture (Alliant) and don't try to push it.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Just go to the reloading data for your powder on the web and stick to the prescribed loads. see above

5. Fire8702

Fire8702 TS Member

I reload Gun Clubs and use Federal primers. You will find that Remington primers cost more. Federals have worked well for me. Fed 209, Rem GC, 17 gr of Red Dot, Fig 8 wad(clay buster clone) 1 1/8 shot 1200 fps is what I load in Red Dot.

Good luck,
    Bryan

6. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

3220--- get Alliants reloading manual or look it up here on the net. Many combinations with various components are available. Buy a GOOD scale FIRST, RD is a good powder just stay with published data. You will most likely need 2 different wads as the Fed hull has a lot more space (volume) you will probably end up choosing 1 hull over the other because of the different requirements.

As per Calkid Cheddites are a good primer CCIs are also, I've had troubles with Win. If your gun will digest the hulls with steel heads I prefer the Gun Clubs as they seem to have the best reloading life, you will most likely wind up going to STSs or Gold Medals after some experimenting. The main thing is SAFETY & fun. Ross Puls

7. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

I would suggest you obtain a Lyman's shotshell reloading manual and read it. STS hulls are great hulls. They are tappered and require a wad that is made for a tappered hull. Federal gold medal hulls are straight walled hulls and require a wad made for straight walled hulls. RCBS makes a great digital scale and I have used one for approx. 5yrs. with zero problems. A good scale and manual are critical to your success. It's a lot of fun if done following the guidelines set by a good manual. Have fun!!! Joe

8. 3220

3220 Member

Hi All,

Thanks so much for the replies and information. I really appreciate it!

All the best,

Fred

9. himark

himark Well-Known Member

As stated use any but my advice is to stay with whatever you land on so dont be switching brands back and forth.

Some primers even though they say 209 are larger or smaller than others.

10. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I agree with those above.......get an Alliant Book, or download their reloading information. I use Federal Primers, yes they are "hotter", In the last 10,000 reloads, I have never had an issue. It is a good product in my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.