1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rookie reloader needs help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gnusbaum, Aug 8, 2013.

1. gnusbaum

gnusbaum Member

ok i'm looking at purchasing some AA winn lite powder but i cant find it in any of my books where can i go to find all powders and loads. also getting very confused with my powder bushings i have a mec #28 the book says its for 16.5 g when i use it i can only gets around 14.4-15.3g is this normal???
    none of my bushing put out the number they say in the books how are you to be safe???

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

A GOOD powder scale should be your FIRST investment. Never trust a bushing chart.

Ken Rucker

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

It's time to buy a scale (and some additional bushings). The bushing chart is just a bunch of ballpark values. They even change from lot to lot of powder. The only thing that can be depended on is weight. The scale will tell you when you're safe. Good luck.

Bob Falfa

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

A scale. Bushings are to get you in the ballpark. A scale keeps you from blowing yourself up. Weigh your drops to find the bushing for the desired powder charge.

5. locdoc

locdoc Member

Believe your scales, not the bushings.

Click on the above link and work your way through the filters to get the info you want. An excellent powder for 7/8 and 1 oz 12 ga loads.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

6. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

If he can tell what his #28 bushing is throwing, he must already have a scale.

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

A MEC #28 bushing is for 16.5 grains of a specific powder, not all powders. What powder are you using now? MEC bushing chart says #28 will throw 18.3 grains of WAAlite. See link above. Mark

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

powder scale

GS

9. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

Be aware, even with a scale, there is more to consider. If you just put in a bushing, that claims 18 grains, for example, pour in some powder, and weigh the first load, it WILL NOT BE THE SAME as the 10th load. The loader, and the method you use to make it work, needs to "settle down" to a routine.

Also, know a half grain or so difference will usually not make a big difference, unless you are loading at the very top, extreme edge, of the max load. Which is not usually a good idea anyways.

As you load, and take note of what your loader is doing, as you load 10, 50 and 100's later, it will become apparent what you need to do based on your operation of the loader and what the scale tells you. Consistency is a good thing.

10. gnusbaum

gnusbaum Member

ok i have a scale i use red dot i'm loading 16.0 g w 1oz shot with proper wad
    but my bushing drops from 14.4-15.5 i know this because i measure all the different drops fo about 5 in a roll i was just asking why i dont get the 16.5 the book says

11. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The chart (or book) only gets you in the ball park. Make sure your scale is zeroed and accurate, and go up some bushing sizes until you are dropping what you want. MEC bushings are notoriously light droppers, to keep those reloaders safe that don't use a scale. Mark

12. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

Make sure you do not set up your scale close enough to bump it after you zero it out.

It may seem handy to have it next to your reloader, but it is easy to move it without you noticing it.

I keep mine where I have to move away from my bench to check my powder charge.

Kenny U.

13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

If you use a MEC, buy a universal bar. With it and a good scale, you can get any desired load you want.

Clyde

14. johnpe

johnpe Member

Since I load all gauges with MEC loaders and an RCBS with an adapter to permit me to use MEC bushings, I have a box full of them. As mentioned many times above, use of a scale is imperative. I use past history to pick a bushing to try with a given powder and after weighting four or five loads, change bushings - sometimes more than once to permit me to load very close to the published load I want. Then I use a marker to write the bushing number and the actual weight of powder it throws on the powder container. That number can and does vary a bit with each lot of powder, but using the information on an old container, it get me very close. When I throw away an empty container, I peel off the label with the bushing/powder information to use the next time. If any of the first loads from a container are too high or low - say more than half a grain, I disassemble the shells and reuse the components.

Johnpe

15. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

The above Universal charge bar and a good powder scale will serve you well ... as it has me!