1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Rolling Thunder & Saluting Marine

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blade819, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blade819

blade819 Active Member

I just received this photo today and I assume it took place at this years Rolling Thunder (one I didn't attend). The saluting Marine I believe is the same soldier who has saluted for the past few years. This time he received some comfort in 100 degree weather from fellow Veterans with cold water and towels. Do WE stick together or what?

blade819
    blade819_2008_030378.jpg
  2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Please explain..... how long must the Marine hold his salute? Something about this seems odd to me.

Guy Babin

USN Ret.
  3. chipking

chipking TS Member

Guy as a courtesy for parades or funerals the salute is held until all participants pass. Not required that I am aware of just a sign of respect.

--- Chip King ---
  4. blade819

blade819 Active Member

Guy- I believe that this gentleman is no longer an active Marine but stands at attention in full dress blues and salutes the entire parade of bikers for the end of Rolling Thunder in Wash. DC. He salutes out of respect for his Brothers and Sisters at Arms both alive and dead.

blade819
  5. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

Rolling Thunder Freak Show is what it looks like. Right arm must be getting tired.
  6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very classy comment yak. What do you personally do for our returning fallen soldiers??
  7. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

All the support my 23 years on active duty can give. How bout you? My commment was about the the head shaved, inked up, pierced freaks.

(and I ride, 2001 HD Ultra..didn't make Rolling Thunder though)
  8. grntitan

My point is these guys are out ther doing something positive for our soldiers and the best comment you can add is calling them freaks. I repeat, very classy. I personally have the utmost respect for anyone that devotes their time and energy for such a worthy cause. Who gives a rats behind what they look like. Do you think the families of the fallen soldiers they are honoring care what these men look like??
  9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Active Member

Yeah, a bunch of dang hippies. Oops.

GneJ
  10. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

All I know is that we would NEVER defile our uniforms. I find it very difficult to believe a Marine would condone getting washed down in such a manner.

No longer active duty does not matter. Those of us who really care and get it would NEVER accept defiling our uniform. NEVER.

Guy B.
  11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

grntitan,

WE DO.

Obviously you have no clue. You have no clue about the significance of the uniform of an American Service Member.

Guy Babin
  12. blade819

blade819 Active Member

Yaki...... rethink your comment. gdbabin......the Marine is there to pay respect! I guess it would be a good idea to not drop dead from the heat? Also, based on my participation in numerous Veteran Rides, being a Nam Vet, the two Brothers helping the Marine cool down probably have had experience of life and death situations in combat. Ya think they wouldn't want to help a Marine brother?

For those who don't or can't apprecite this photo and its significance, please stay off my thread!

blade819
    US54812054
  13. grntitan

Guy,

I have as much respect for that uniform as a non service member can. I am the son of a Vietnam Vet and Grandson of two WWII vets. My oldest son is now a US Marine.

The folks who yak called "freaks" are usually former service members and are attending under a completely volunteer basis. No, they don't dress like most people attending a funeral but their presence even with their own sort of uniforms sends chills down your spine. I have attended a funeral for a fallen soldier where the Rolling Thunder riders attended and it was very touching. I saw no disrespect to anyone's uniform there and I do not see it in this photo. I see some guys trying to help a brother in need.

That said, everyone is entitled to an opinion especially someone who has served this great Country such as yak above and yourself. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Thank you to all who have served this great Country.
  14. HSLDS

HSLDS Active Member

here is a caption for the photo from another source

-

These bikers are Marine veterans. They're hydrating & putting a cold compress on the neck of a proud Marine (Zach Powers) as he stood in his dress blues in 105* weather, holding his salute for the entire 5-hour 4th of July parade in Washington D.C.

-

Don't judge a book by it's cover...
  15. blade819

blade819 Active Member

Thank you HSLDS. I would have done the same thing. (US Army)

blade819
  16. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Cold compress and a drink on second look does make it better, I did jump to the conclusion that they were pouring water on him. Thank you for the clarification HSLDS.

What threw me is that drinking while saluting is out of the ordinary and outside of proper protocol so I assumed they were pouring water on him to cool him off.

Rendering honors for Brothers and Sisters in arms is always proper respect.

V/R,

Guy B.
  17. yakimaman

yakimaman Active Member

Well, here's the Marine's own blog on his Rolling Thunder performances

http://marine-saluting-at-rolling-thunder.blogspot.com/
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.