1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

rolling back an odometer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kolared person, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

I have reason to believe that my truck"s odometer was tampered with. The dealer said you can"t mess with digital equipment. I need some input from you automotive repair experts out there.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

http://www.google.com/search?q=rolling+back+digital+odometers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

3. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

it is an o5 dodge dakota. The reason why I smelled a skunk is- I was looking through the warranty books and found that a person from another state filled out the owner page. I contacted him and he said he bought the truck but had to walk away from the deal after three weeks because he lost his job.

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

From Carfax.com

"Unfortunately, digital odometers that have been tampered with are even harder to detect than traditional mechanical odometers (since they have no visible moving parts). A vehicle's condition and a detailed history report are the best clues a buyer has for determining whether clocking has occurred.

Auto manufacturers developed the digital odometer, in large part, to alleviate the problem of odometer tampering. Unfortunately just as quickly as the technology is developed, scam artists learn how to use it for the wrong reasons. In this case, they are using the very tools meant to correct mileage on digital odometers to rollback odometers. And it is as easy as surfing the Internet.

Digital odometer calibrators are being purchased online, and despite "disclaimers" from sellers, are being used to perpetrate odometer fraud.

"Just like a hacker can do damage to a computer, someone with the right software and hardware can make a digital odometer read whatever number they want," explained Pat Goss, Automotive Expert and Co-Host of PBS MotorWeek in a video news release. "There are all kinds of problems that used cars have which are virtually undetectable to the untrained person. Digital odometer fraud is one that's becoming more common."

"People mistakenly think digital odometers can't be rolled back, but this scam has gone high-tech. Foreign companies are selling software on the Internet, so that anyone who wants to roll back even a digital odometer can do it," Jack Gillis of the Consumer Federation Of America and author of The Car Book in the video release."

5. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

what did the odometer sattement say when he bought it. Should say mileage and whether it was original mileage. Also, odo could have been changed due to malfunction, but should have a tag on the door saying so and should be a paper saying so.

6. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

you can ask for a copy of old title some states micro film them. I did and sued got money ++ call you Drick

7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

If you have a state safety inspection program they should have a record of the mileage for each year it was inspected. DPS = department of public safety.

When I purchased my van, that was 3 years old, I had the dealer service department pull up all the records for me to look at. They made a copy and gave it to me.

Yes, digital speedometers can be messed with. I bought a truck they had taken off 20 thousand miles. Ray

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Very serious crime that can pile on other charges if state lines or other factors come into play. I remember a local dealer that caught a long stetch for related felonies.

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I'm not familiar with a Goat, but if they're like everything else these days, the easiest and least invasive would be to go to a Chrysler dealer (parts guy can do it), carry in the VIN # and have them pull it up. It kinda helps if you know them but I've had perfect strangers do it for me----doesn't hurt to offer a small token of your gratitude either.

It will take longer for them to type in the number than to pull up the history, and anything that's ever been done at any dealership should be on there.

The next shot is what Dan said, safety sticker records.

FWIW, I ordered a new 96, first full size that was OBD II, and before I got it I knew of someone that could alter the speedo.

10. Diesel Smoke

Diesel Smoke Member

I used to know a guy who could alter a digital speedo,charged 50 bucks a truck, speakin of this, anyone know a legal way to go about getting this done? I have a 96 F-350, the motor is a remaned Jasper motor with 94k on it obo is says i have 186k, dealership maybe?

Smokey

11. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Local car dealer back in the days of the mechanical odometers had a small electric motor that ran a device he hooked up to it and it would spin the dials in reverse. I don't know if he ever took in a used car that he didn't spin back until he got caught and prosecuted. Everybody in town knew he was doing it and when a new young state trooper came to town he decided to go after him and got him.

12. Mid-State Gun Club

Mid-State Gun Club TS Member

You can roll the odometer but it should still remain the same milage in the computer. Have your local mechanic check it with a scan computer. This should tell you the exact milage

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I was in the car business from 1960 to 1988. I remember going to a new car dealers lot ( not just one but most) and there would be a guy rolling back the odometer and at the same time another would be re cutting the grooves in the tires with a hot iron ( like a soldering iron)all while people were shopping the lot. They did not try to hide it. When it became a federal offense, most of them quit but I am sure some still do it. I knew two different dealers ( wholesalers) who did not quit and went to federal prison. I think they were liberals!

14. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I worked for a guy, many years ago, that bought totaled cars & trucks at wreck sales. I did the body work and paint, he set back the odometer even on the tamperproof ones. Didn't take long either. Cut sereral in half and put a new complete rear clip on from the center of the front seat back. He sold a most locally and never had one come back for a problem. Back then they didn't even have salvage titles.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Come to think of it I sold hundreds of cars at the Indy auto auction to the boys from Murray KY - that was the roll back capitol of the world. They would slick em up and roll em back and bring them right back to the sale. They were made examples of when the Feds changed the laws. I remember a " Billy Crouse" who was really into it and he paid a big price but I think he made millions so I doubt he cared.

16. bambambam

bambambam Member

If your odometer was replaced,tampered with or reset a * will appear before the mileage.I am a current used car dealer in Ohio.

17. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

A Dodge Dakota digital odometer can be turned back any amount in less than 3 minutes with a factory scan tool and NO ***** will appear.I am calling b.s. on that one!!! Birdtracker

18. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I changed a gauge cluster in my friends vw due to the original one not working. Hes car lost about 50k miles due to that. He did however report that to the next kid he sold it to.

19. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

It was common practice to roll back speedometers in the 60's and 70's. I did many of them because the dealer wanted to sell a used car with around 30.000 miles.

If careful, you could roll back the miles without disturbing the dust on the cluster, and no one would know.

There used to be a guy that would drill a very small hole in the face of the speedo plastic cover, and with a small pick, he rolled miles off, but as the car was driven, sometimes new numbers would show his scratches, or not align properly.

20. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

I would contact your State Police Auto Theft Unit or other large agency Auto Theft Unit and determine which agency in your State has an odometer rollback investigative unit and have them examine your vehicle.... and go from there.

Bridgetoofar
    Retired Senior Special Agent
    National Auto Theft Bureau

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to rollback miles on shooter

movehindl

murray ky used car capitol
odometer gun
program for rolling back odometer
rolling back odometer