1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rohrbaugh R9s

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Steve Campbell, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Campbell

Steve Campbell TS Member

I have read quite a bit about this little 9mm on the rohrbaughforum.com site.
    Mostly Rohrbaugh owners there so as expected they are quite happy.

Does anyone here have one? What do you think about performance?

I would be carrying this in a front pocket holster and would hopefully never have to use it.

I have considered a Seecamp in .380 but they supposedly bite really hard and I feel the 9mm caliber would suit me better.

I'd like to get some opinions.

Thanks in advance.

Stone

2. Steve Campbell

Steve Campbell TS Member

MIA-

What kind of test would you be thinking of?

Stone

3. Steve Campbell

Steve Campbell TS Member

MIA-

Well thanks for the help. I hope you get things sorted out or at least enjoy the humor in your joke since I have fully missed it. Thanks though.

Stone

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

A friend bought the Seecamp .380...impossible to shoot without lots of pain...it really bangs your trigger finger. He wanted and looked over the Rohrbaugh, but can't imagine the difficulty managing such a small 9mm...and they are very pricey.

5. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

A very well made pistol but just too small in 9mm to be practical for most people. You should become proficient with any firearm carried as a weapon and that would be very difficult with the R9 for all but the most dedicated. The R9 is a pistol suitable for undercover agents were absolute concealment is critical at the expense of any other criteria.

The Keltec 32's and 380's are a better choice even if they are a little bigger. A S&W airweight 38 special snubby is a great choice and is probably the number one choice in small handguns by professional gun toters. Or as a backup to a real gun like a 45. Ross

6. Steve Campbell

Steve Campbell TS Member

Thanks for the responses except MIA who I guess learned how to spell the name of the ink blot tests after posting such wit.

Anyways, the 380 seecamp seems to be a beast with a terrible trigger slap but this is one of those guns that will be pointed and shot a few times. The commentary regarding the R9s is that its easier to shoot than the Seecamp. There is only 1 dealer in the state and they are currently out of stock but I will look at the R9 and see how it feels.

Thanks again.

7. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

I've had one for almost a year after many years of carrying a P-32 daily. The R9 is a handful to shoot, but bearable and accurate. I managed 101 rounds the first time out and that was a bit much. After about 90 rounds it was wearing me down and beating on me. I'm 6' and 205 and prefer shooting .45s and .357s. And 3" duck loads. FWIW, I have S&W 442 and it's got a little kick too when shooting 158-gr. lead semi-wadcutters.

The R9 is easy to carry in the front pocket of slacks and mine is reliable. Heck, it was used too. The gun store said it had been fired 200 times. I've been shooting and trading for 50 years or so and it looked like new to me.

Carries well in shorts too here in the inner city during the hot, humid days we get in tidal Virginia.

John

8. WGB

WGB Member

For pocket self defense the R9 along with a J-Frame Smith or a Beretta Tomcat would fit the bill. Reliable and well made. I have also owned Kel-Tec and would not own another. They are an inexpensive alternative but I would not trust my life with one.

9. Cat Fish

Cat Fish Member

I own and carry an R-9 (not S. No sight) in a Hedley pocket holster on a daily basis. I’ve done so for the last few years.
    As previously stated in a reply above, the Rohrbaugh is not for the inexperienced pistol shooter. With practice, one can become proficient with the little “pup”. It’s a great pocket pistol with a lot of punch. It’s recommended that Speer Gold Dot be used. That’s the only ammo that I’ve used. I’ve never had a malfunction.
    The folks over at the Rohrbough forum are a great bunch.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.