1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Roger Clemens and congress

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bisi, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Could somebody tell me where in the Constitution it give congress the power to investigate baseball?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They are not investigating baseball per se, rather illegal drugs and perjury as far as I know.

Or are the pros immune to the law the rest of us have to obey?

You would think so sometimes the way they act.

HM

3. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Major League Baseball was granted an exemption to the anti-trust laws, allowing baseball to limit entry into its exclusive franchise. In the exemption is a provision which allows Congress to investigate various aspects of the legal side of the league. There are words in the law which pertain to the "integrity of the game", image, etc., of baseball.

Major League Baseball is a "de jure monopoly", that is, no other corporation or individual may compete with them in their various markets. When that happens, Congress maintains oversight.

Best,
    Dennis

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Congress can't fix social security. Congress can't come up with a balanced budget. Congress can't secure our borders. Congress can't handle the illegal immigration problem? But they have time to look into Major League Baseball. Any we wonder why the country is going down the tubes.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Bread and Circuses.

Figure it out.

HM

6. I WON

I WON TS Member

Democratic congress, Pelosio. They have nothing to do but investigate the "Rocket" and a drug pusher. Maybe this explains the lowest approval rating of all time by congress.

7. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

Double Auto - Well stated. I support Congress in passing legislation that is in the best interest of this wonderful country. But a believe there are certainly more important issues they should be spending their time on.

And then I see Arlen Spector wants to tell the NFL how they should enact their rules, or should we say act. He has been around far to long. He can't handle his current job, so he wants to try to impress all with his knowledgte of something he does not understand, or have the ability to. - Jim

8. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

How about this...........Our government is giving so-called homeowners a 30 day reprieve from paying their mortgages if they are at least 90 days behind, and about to go into foreclosure!?!?!?!?!

Get real! They're gonna loose the dump anyway because the banking industry had them over-appraised, then loaned them too much money on them.

What about the honest Joe who made all his payments, even saved a little and paid off their mortgage early? Doesn't he deserve a little credit for his hard work? I guess you have to be a third generation dead-beat to get any recognition.

Something smell to me.

Danny

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

pendennis does this mean that The NFL is a monopoly also because they are now investigating the teams spying on one another.

Also everyone is worried about "there are certainly more important issues they should be spending their time on" I ask what about the tax dollars they are spending on this farce. From every thing I have read when this alleged drug use was supposed to have taken place The laws against these drugs were not in place.

So where in the Constitution under Legislative Branch (Congress House/Senate) does it say that they have the power to force an compel an individual to trash his own character. This is just for the sake of discussion.

Bob Lawless

10. sako2115

sako2115 TS Member

When is congress going to investigate top fuel drag racing for using fuels other than gasoline?

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    They're worried about drug use in baseball? How about drug use by Bill Clinton and Obama?

12. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

Vote for Ron Paul he'll do away with the MLB,NHL,MBA and IRS and any other three letter org. in the USA Jon

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I *AM* voting for Ron Paul.

14. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Bill will ban cigars for everyone but him.

<a href="http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d184/Jerbear1098/Political/?action=view&current=Clinton.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jerbear

15. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Ivanhoe, Congress passed a law which enabled the old NFL and AFL to merge. As two separate entities, the NFL and AFL competed for players, driving up the cost of labor. Normally, such a merger, in an attempt to drive down labor costs, would be in the realm of anti-trust. However, Congress, in its infinite wisdom, allowed the merger, and we now see what's happened over 35 years.

I don't believe I've heard the term monopoly and NFL used in the same sentence. However, if it looks, walks, and quacks, it must be the NFL.

If they are, in fact, a de jure monopoly, then Congress does have some oversight. However, it does seem a stretch for Arlen Specter to be the seat of moral authority.

Best,
    Dennis

16. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

they should use the money for better things... like paying off their bounced check fee's, investigating some form of fraud that they are committing every day, maybe a background check on the presidential candidates and make it a matter of public record?? so everyone can see what s... bags they are?

17. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

Guilty!!!!!,,but where are the other millions of drug users???????
    What a crock of poop,,

18. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

It's just another example of government micro managing our lifes. Sticking their damn noses in anything and everything. I feel a lot better knowing that pompus clown from Ca. who was chair of that house committee Rep Henry (the hog) Waxman is looking into this.

We have become slaves or serfs of government. They take half our income and labor in taxes (just like the old plantation owners). They tell us what we can eat or drink. (No smoking in our business, what kind of cooking oil we can use, who we can hire, etc...)

I don't even own my house anymore. I'm renting it from master government. My property taxes are now higher than my mortgage payment ever was. Master make me get a permit from him to put a new roof on "his" house.

Massir going give us free health care after this next election. It only right after all - he does own us.

Since massir looking into baseball players using drugs to enhanced performance, then maybe he can look into trapshooters who have had surgical enhanced performance. There a trapshooter at the local club who had Lasik and is now kicking my butt.

bisi

19. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Wow! American kids put these athletes on higher standard then their own fathers and many are emulating these people and taking steriods, maybe your son or daughter, who knows. J. McCain initiated this investigation and Dubya vetoes anything that isn't in support of his war... Mike

20. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sports today is a bunch of BS: too much $, drugs, crime, lack of character etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.