1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rod Stirlings Fans Only

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Pull & Mark, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

OK, I got your attention. He was a brillent man who lived and died before his time. Which of his shows did you like the best??? Twilight Zone?------Or Outer Limits? A brief reason why, would be in order as well. I still can't make up my mind!!! All Good, Break-em all. Jeff "Sorry Bruce is right its Rod Serling"

2. capvan

capvan Active Member

First of all, it's "Rod Serling"...not Rod Stirling.

He had a summer home in the Finger Lakes of NYS. My sister baby-sat for his kids. Cool guy...

Bruce

3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Twilight Zone, "will the real martian, please stand up"

4. birddogs46

birddogs46 Active Member

what the hell does this have to do with trap shooting, unless maybe, some of our scores on some of our bad days appears as if we could have been out in the twlight zone...

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Twilight Zone

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Rod was a graduate of Ithaca Collegs.

7. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Night Gallery

But I do remember one Twilight Zone I think where some aliens come to the earth and make every thing happy, they have a book with them, the title was To Serve Man, earthlings finally figured out their language, as they yelled at their friends boarding a spaceship To Serve Man, is a cookbook!!!!!!!!!

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

Right, this has absolutely nothing to do with trapshooting, but it's really cold and rainy here in Vermont and there's not much to do...

My favorite episode was one where a guy is talking to a literary legend. He sees his wife coming around the corner and picks up a little scrap of recording tape (remember that?), tosses it in the fire and the literary legend guy disappears. His wife then proceeds to give him a lot of crap about the time he spends in his den, blah, blah. She leaves and he opens his wall safe, takes out an envelope with a little scrap of tape in it. Tosses it in the fire...well, you get the idea.

Yes, Rod was was an Ithaca College grad. Ithaca College is at the southern end of one of the Finger Lakes in NYS.

Bruce

9. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I really like the Twilight Zone reruns.

You get to see a lot of actors when they were really young, before they hit it big.

Saw one the other day with a very young, and REALLY hot-looking Elizabeth Montgomery (Samantha from Bewitched) and a very young Charles Bronson.

I always liked the episode with the old hag trying to fight off the little miniature space men. You start to feel sorry for her, then at the end you find out the little tiny space men are US astronauts.

10. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

Twilight zone. The one with Agnus Moorehead getting shot by the small aliens that turned out to be earth people in a flying saucer.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

The gremlin on the airplane wing was classic.

EDIT: I just did a search on that episode. 1963 and William Shatner starred.

12. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Wasn't he also an escape convict in one of the Andy Griffith Shows?

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Catpower, I recall the Cook Book show very well indeed. The Martin as well. LOL. I had just about forgot all about the Night Gallery shows though. They do not show them around here at all anymore. Still Can watch the Twilight Zones, and the Outer Limits around here. I think I am pulling abit for the Outer Limits though because those are a one hour shows and Rod could pull you in his trap as it were much deeper than the l/2 hour Twilight zones. They are all good though so its tough. A few months back local TV had brought back for only a few months though the old Kolchek (misspelled) series, they were pretty good but they could not hold a candle to Rod's work. Break-em all. Jeff

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

JerryP
    That episode was etched in my head for a long time.

Great TV

Don Verna

15. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The episode with Shatner was just on cable a week or so ago. 40 years old and still better than anything new on tv.

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Those giants in "to serve man" were Kanamits, the other one I liked was A stop at Willoughby.

17. Mark Gadbois

Mark Gadbois Member

The best "Twilight Zone" - hard to say there were so many but I'll vote for the one that was on recently here in Chicago. It dealt with Civil war soldiers going down a road to somewhere. It turns out that they were all dead. The kicker was that the last casualty going down the road was Lincoln, i.e. he was the last victim of the Civil war. Mark near Chicago.

18. 700X-user

700X-user Member

How about the one where the guy has his voice box removed to win a bet. The loser of the bet doesn't have the money to cover the bet!

Shatner also was in the episode that takes place mostly in a diner in a small town. Shatner and his "wife" started putting coins in a fortune telling machine and got hooked. The very last scene shows another couple that are pumping coins into another machine at a different table.

Hitchcock and Serling were masters of their professions.

Willoughby!!! Next stop Willoughby!!!!

19. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Jeff:

I grew up loving all that stuff - Twilight Zone (TZ), Night Gallery, Outer Limits, and Kolchak The Night Stalker. They were all entertaining but occupied different niches. TZ and OL were sci fi. NG was classic horror and occult. Kokchak stories were mostly creature feature or as someone described it, "monster of the week".

TZ was hands down the best. It first aired in 1959. I was a little kid and it scared the bejeezus out me : ) It was the "why" part of your question that made me think...

This is it... Unlike the Night Gallery series, Serling had total artistic control of Twilight Zone. He was a creative genious and gifted writer. There were 156 episodes of TZ and Serling wrote 92 of them. Serling loaded the show with talented actors and other writers. The results showed it.

Perhaps THE quintessential episode was Burgess Meredith's _Time_Enough_at_Last_.

The episode opens on Henry Bemis, a bank teller played by Meredith, who loves reading books more than almost anything else.

"Witness Mr. Henry Bemis, a charter member in the fraternity of dreamers. A bookish little man whose passion is the printed page but who is conspired against by a bank president and a wife and a world full of tongue-cluckers and the unrelenting hands of a clock. But in just a moment Mr. Bemis will enter a world without bank presidents or wives or clocks or anything else. He'll have a world all to himself, without anyone."

The next day, Henry takes his lunch (and reading) break in the bank's vault, where he won't be disturbed. The camera shows the newspaper's foretelling headline: "H-Bomb Capable of Total Destruction". Moments later, loud explosions can be heard from outside, violently shaking the vault and knocking Bemis unconscious. In the aftermath of the apparent war, he regains consciousness and emerges from the safety of the bank vault to find he is the last person alive on Earth.

Bemis eventually makes his way thru the rubble to the public library where he contently makes stacks of books he intends to read for the next several years. Just as he reaches to pick up his first book, book worm Bemis stumbles and his glasses (with the coke bottle lenses) fall off and shatter. In tears, he picks up the remains of his glasses and sobs, "That's not fair. That's not fair at all. There was time now. There was all the time I needed...

Try finding something like that in today's tv wasteland.

sissy

20. crk

crk Member

I remember an episode - but dont remember if NG or TZ - where an older woman is seen bricking up an older man - I believe in a wheelchair. Through the whole time (1/2 hour if I recall) as she is laying the bricks, she is commenting and complaining about her life. The whole time you think she is sealing him into this small room. At the very end, as she lays the last brick in place and you think that the old man is "boxed" in, they pan the camera to the old man rolling off into the house and you discover that the old woman was "boxing herself" into her life with the bricks. Strong metaphor message but in typical fashion - they lead you the whole time to think one thing and at the very end, spin the story in a different direction.

"Curb your enthusiasm" with Larry David sometimes will do the same thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.