1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ROBERT STACK ....SKEET SHOOTER

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Mar 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

HERE IS A OFF QUESTION...IS ROBERT STACK THE MOVIE ACTOR THE SAME SAME R.STACK THAT WAS THE SKEET SHOOTER IN THE 60'S OR 70'S. SOMEONE HAD TOLD ME THIS AND I DIDN'T BELIEVE IT COULD BE/

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT.

2. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

check this

Dave Eberhart

3. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

Yes one and the same

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I shot a round of practice one time at the Grand back in Vandalia, Robert Stack was on the station next to me and I didn't know it was him without all of his make up on ... This was over 30 years ago ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Did you know he couldn't speak English until he was 6-7, but was fluent in French and Italian?

His 1979 autobiography, "Straight Shooting," is worth a read.

"When I was a kid, I was good. I had no brains but I could shoot a shotgun!"

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

The 1984 clip with Arthur Ashe was a real classic. I wonder where the other films of the '84 Olympic Skeet competition are? By the way, Stack won the 20 gauge NSSA World Skeet Championship in 1935 while he was a Junior. He is truly a skeet shooter. What did you think about the no nonsense explanation of I-Skeet that Stack gave to Ashe? Even I had trouble keeping up.

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

With Marie Windsor

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Great share. That music at the end really creeped me out though LOL

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I remember Robert Stack shooting at Triple B's in the early to mid 90's. I shot a couple of rounds with him, due to chance, in International Bunker. He used to arrive in his cream colored Nissan 280. Very friendly individual, apparently had a great love of the shotgun sports. I also remember a friend of mine calling Mr. Stack "Elliot" in reference to his role in the "Untouchables"; Stack seemed bemused by that! Robert Stack was also a consistent supporter of the PVA shoots in Redlands during that era. Very approacable and friendly individual; seemed more like a fellow shooter who acted vs. an actor who shot.

10. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

I rember finding a old picture frame from the 1960-70s? with the stock picture in it, Robert Stack holding a o/u should kept it.

11. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

THANKS FOR THE INFO...THE REASON I ASKED, MANY YEARS AGO A NEIGHBOOR WHO LIVED BY ME WAS A VERY GOOD TRAP AND SKEET SHOOTER AT ONE TIME. WHEN I MET THE MAN HE HAD A LEG MISSING FROM AN ACCIDENT BUT COULD STILL SHOOT VERY WELL FROM HIS WHEELCHAIR. HE HAD TOLD ME STORIES OF SHOOTING IN CUBA,LIVE BIRD SHOOTING AND ALSO HOW HE SHOT WITH ROBET STACK AND ALSO ANDY NEWVINE WHO WAS AN ACTOR WHO SHOT SKEET.

BOY I WISH HE WAS STILL AROUND...YOU NEVER APRICIATE PEOPLE UNTILL THERE GONE.AT LEAST HE WOULD BE HAPPY OI THOUGHT OF HIM TODAY.

12. ljutic231

ljutic231 TS Member

Dolphin It was Andy Devine. and he was also a good shooter. There was a number of shooters in Hollywood at one time, Roy Rogers, Clark Gable had it written in his contract that he didn't film during goose hunting season. Just a few thoughts from the past.

13. oletymer

oletymer Member

The other actor mentioned was Andy Devine. He was also a very good shooter.

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Robert Stack's shotguns, shooting vest, and one of his car (the 280Z) were at a CA auction few years ago, I received the auction catalogue but didn't have time to attend.

15. pdq

pdq Member

I was introduced to him back in 1993 & had a chance to chat for a while. Nice guy. I was surprised at his physique -- I was expecting someone much taller than he was. TV makes everone look bigger????

Pete

16. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gabby Hayes,Pat Buttram,Chill Wills and several others I can't recall the names shot some trap with Roy Rogers. Roy&Dale were members of the Apple Valley GC in Victorville,CA till he passed away. Roy was my buddy shoot partner at the fun shoots we had there in the early 80s. I remember the first target we lost as a team, I turned to him and said, "it's too bad that model 12 doesn't shoot as many shots as your six shooter did in the movies!!" He got a big laugh out of that! Roy was a very nice down to earth man and a really good shot too! His wife Dale was the official chatter box of the family and told many stories of their life together both in their movies and real life. Truly nice people and I admired them both a lot! Both sat beside me at the head table during our yearly club banquet, I was honored to know these fine people!

Gene Hapney Past Pres.of the AVGC.

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've been lead to believe, for many years, that both Stack and Rogers were AA 27 yard trappers and Stack was highly ranked in skeet as well; no personal experience however......Bob Dodd

18. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

to bad the media could use these fine individuls as postive role's in the shooting sports. instead of the anti gunners we have in hollywood now.

19. Bill D

Bill D TS Member

Mr. Stack was a great sportsman. He shot trap, skeet and sporting clays, raced boats, hunted and fished. There wasn't much he didn't do. I had the pleasure of traveling with him to the Dominican Republic where he got a hole in one on a foresome with Alice Cooper. Sounds like a tale, but so did much of his life. He was truly bigger than real life. He is missed.
    [​IMG]

20. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

He was not at all like the somber cold actor he portrayed on the screen. He was alway laughing, talking, and having a good time when he was at the celebrity shoots that I attended in SoCal during the 80's.

Beside being a very good shot, more importantly, he was well liked by everyone.

John Milus (sp) the director is also a very good shot. Shot some sporting clays and duck tower with him also. The celebrity shoots always brought out a lot of the actors. Can't remember them all, Johnny DiSantis comes to mind as another man that shot a lot. You see him these days on the Beretta outdoor hunting shows.

I, as had Hap, have shot with Roy Rogers. Another good shot and very nice man. I remember one day he shot my Perazzi with a release trigger and I shot his Model-12 that still had Clark Gables name on it. He had never shot a release trigger gun and didn't want to shoot it but one shot.

In those days I was a "young" man in my 50's.

Tom Strunk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
as skeet records
gabby hayes skeet shooter
rancho angeles gun club clark gable skeet trap
robert stack olympics
robert stack shooting

robert stack shotgun

robert stack skeet

robert stack skeet shooting record