1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Robbed Of My Copper

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nukinfuts, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

I have a trailor permently parked in a campground.Today I drove there just to check everything out,only to find that someone cut my lines to my propane tanks! After walking around the campground I found 27 other campers lines were also missing! Someone told me that copper was up to $2.75 Lb.for scrap...What has become of people these days...Nuc

2. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Check your power cord? Would be much more profitable.

3. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Oh my god your rite! I never thought of that.I gota check that. I hope those hillbillys didn't think of that..Nuc

4. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've been seeing quite a bit of this lately as I do the police and sheriff's digital evidence.

We were hoping that those who recently broke into a local quarry and cut the high voltage lines would have been fried. It will happen.

Copper at over $3.00/lb makes the crime palatable, I guess.

Whiz

5. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

I use 1 inch K copper for city water service. After I dig a basement that copper is a easy target for copper thieves. Since the price of scrap copper is up I and many excavating contractors have been hit by copper thieves. These thieves go as far as backing there vehicle up to the basement excavation hook a chain to there bumper and the role of copper and pulling the whole pipe out of the ground. Sometimes the waterline is charged. That really makes a mess.

I now cover and hide my copper pipe by covering up my service with a excavator bucket of sand. About a yard. So far its been working. A yard is a little over 1 ton. If there going to steal from me there going to have to work for it.

The electricians are getting hit hard also.

6. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The girl at Home Depot said guys come in every day and walk out with rolls of wire, { they have a no confontation policy}.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

A local bowling alley closed down, and when the salvege guy got there someone had gone in the back door and got all the wire and pipe. They even locked up after they left.

HM

8. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

up around des moines in the last few weeks they were stealing wire off the electric poles . a couple guys that were doing this aren,t around anymore. seems they got their wires mixed up, cut the high voltage hot wire. fried them. dwain

9. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

thieves serve no purpose in this world.

10. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

fearlessfain. you are right. not only do they steal but most everything we buy has a pct of the markup figrured in to pay for the thefts. thieves are like druggies though. they make jobs for the legal system & keep lawyers employed.. dwain

11. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Economy doesn't matter. Thieves are thieves. They steal what's hot. These guys probably have great jobs. Their hooked on the thrill of it and their stupid. Dave T. from CT.

12. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

hey guys crime PAYS thats why the assholes do it iam thinking of it too i see how OJ done it why not rick

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

This last summer there were thieves stealing the copper line AND air compressors behind houses while their air condisioner's were running. Nothing like a van pulling into your driveway and driving out with your air conditioning system while it was running. Good thing is, one clown in Detroit got cooked while trying to rip off the wire to the street lights while it was on. ...aint that a bitch. He was well done.

Around here, because of the foreclosed homes, there are alot of pickings. Sunday's "Detroit News" paper had 8 sections of foreclosed homes in witch gave the thief a perfect target to rip off. I think the home count was somewhere in the 17000's just in Wayne county alone.

Jerbear
    Jerbear

14. Whiz Bang

Whiz Bang TS Member

What I do not understand is how these thieves get away with selling copper at the scrap yards. It seems obvious to me if your not a licensed contractor how did you come across all of these rolls of copper pipe and wire. Sometimes unused.

A year ago some Mexicans had a pickup full of copper pipe and wire they took to one of the local scrap yards. They were turned down by the manager and told to leave because they figured it was stolen. But they never called law enforcement.

15. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Where did I read that the sellers wanted to sell to the salvage yard the load and the complete truck. When the police arrive they found the truck and load were both stolen. Union Pacific Railroad has lost a lot of metal and the power companies are losing wire. Now you have to leave a thumbprint with and show your drivers license to take in your tin clips from your wheel weights. Fake recycling companies are faxing firms offering to load up your scrap metals for you. Funny but the check never from the bogus firm. You copper may vary. Omaha

16. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Tonight I talked to the park manager.He informed me that 3 RV parks in the area were hit also.I wouldn't be suprised if I hear they stole the old time gutters and down spouts off the local churchs..nuc

17. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

A friend of mine runs a scrap yard and the police do keep in communication with him. Just recently he was informed to be on the lookout because the thieves were getting on the roofs of buildings in the downtown area and stealing A-coils from the air conditioning units.

18. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

In the slums of plywood window Toledo the "young unemployed business men" are stealing the wrought iron hand rails off their own grandmothers porches. You see them cruising the streets with stolen shopping carts grabbing anything that doesn't require too much effort.

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

They talked too one of the scrap dealers on the news and he said that he preferred not to think that his customers were criminals. I guess that is the mind set you need when dealing with scum bags. Jeff

20. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

As MX 8 dave noted, they have been especially agressive here in Washington. They even went so far as to cut and steal the power lines to the variable message signs along the interstate a few weeks back. Tried again a couple of nights ago but the State Patrol seems to have caught them in the act.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.