1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Road kill deer

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by gun1357, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

The road kill fox thread reminds me of something that happened yesterday morning. I was driving to a shoot in the Hill Country of South Texas when three very large non-native spotted (Axis doe?) deer jumped the fence and started across the road in front of me. I hit the brakes and avoided them but a car coming the other way hit the first and biggest of the three. The deer looked like a small horse laying motionless on the side of the road. No one stopped. Later in the day the deer was gone. I have heard of cases where a person put an animal out of it's misery at great personal cost. What would you have done? Ron

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Well, hopefully I'd have had a sharp knife and some clean trash bags - split the hide right down the back from neck to tail - cut away the long loins and drag the rest off the road - head back home and put the meat away.

3. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

That sounds reasonable yaki, but it wouldn't be worth the large fine.

4. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Some states true, others not

5. johnhefley

johnhefley Member

I'd slay the animal on site, and call the game warden. They have the authority here to release the road kill to you. Upon receipt of that permission I'd take him home, carve him up, and eat him.

6. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I've taken my share of freshly killed deer. Tastes the same

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I ate a road kill partridge in sept. saw it fly out and get whacked, car kept going! My lucky day, had to wring its neck, then tossed it in the backseat , at work I did the "step on the wings field dress" while a non hunting coworker watched, he was very impressed! I was thrilled with a preseason side of partridge Marsala! And he enjoyed a taste!

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Years ago when I lived in Michigan it was legal for the motorist to keep road-killed deer. One day my neighbor hit one on her way home from work, and after the police showed up they let her take it home. She knew I was a hunter and asked me to help her with it. When I shoot a deer, it is almost always in the chest, and most of the blood is in the cavity and comes out with the organs. This one had bled out very little and most of the blood was in the tissue, which looked massively bruised. I don't remember whether I ever ate any of that deer, but I bet it wasn't very appetizing.

9. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

I was visiting a friend one evening, when he looked out the window and said "S%%T. the cops are here!"

I went outside, and there were two officrs, and one scared young lady.

Well, it seems she had hit a small yearling doe with her car, and it was dead in the grass.

I asked if I could have it, and she said OK, along with the two sheriffs' deputies.

Our C.O. lived about 1/4 mile down the road, so I called him for permission.

He said to just take it home, but I insisted on a possession tag.

He didn't like it much, but had it ready when I arrived.

What a great deer......hit in the left side of the head only, and absolutely no wasted meat!

Only about 30 pounds of meat after I cut it all up, but about the best I ever had!

I'd take one like this anytime.

10. Bob M

Bob M Member

Fresh road killed deer just means a short drag to the car here in south central Pa.
    Mmm... Bumper Bambi...

11. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Two years ago I was headed home from shooting and a large buck was chasing a small 8 point. The 8 point(160lbs) went in my grill and the big buck caught the corner of the fender then the mirror. I took the 8 point home with me and couldn't find the big deer. That was after stopping a duelly and getting him to pull the bumper out of my tire. The head took the biggest lick and the meat was good. There are folks in my area that have left their names with the Sheriff's office to be called for road kill. Jackie B.

12. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Just last year a friend of my we're taking a ride up to his cabin in North east Pennsylvania, route 33 north in Monroe County. Now you have to know that along side of this main highwAy going into the Pocono Mtns. Is a Prison. Ahead of me there were 3 cars stopped, the first car was a police car with its lights on. I was in the passing lane, I slowed and as I came along side of the middle car I see this cop full drawn, both hands on his pistol. I see his hand jump and the smoke, OMG! My 1st thoughts were a prisoner must have escaped and he shot someone. I saw something ran move in front of him and I saw the gun jump again. At this point we see a deer laying at his feet. Instantly I have a bright idea, pull up along side of him, ask if we can help. We pulled over, briefly talked and asked if we could have it. He said it sure would save him a lot of trouble. He said not to clean it there, just get it out of here and he didn't care where. After we put it on the truck and pull away, a mile or two down the road here comes a cop - light and sirens blaring. Same cop, points at us tells us to pull over. He walks up the my window and says, " Do you have a rag?" I said, I have a cloth rag. He said good, wipe the blood off your tail gate, I don't need a "CRAZY" calling me to investigate a mystery.

13. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

FRANK C., OKy, I'll bite, what is the "step on the wings" procedure?

Now, my I-hit-a-deer story.

November 16, 2001, just after black dark, four lane divided highway, I'm in westbound lane on cruise control at 60, woman crosses eastbound lane left to right, right in front of me and never slows up. I T-boned her, demolished my 2-year old Accord, put wife in hospital, had broken ribs. Thanks God for airbags and seat belts.

November 16, 2002, just after black dark, two-lane road, heavy traffic moving 55 or so. On-coming car and I about 50-75 feet apart big, big buck tried to run between us. She missed him, I nailed him dead center, nine-pointer, weighed about 130 - 140. Impact knocked engine off its mounts, demolished front of car, car was 8 years old and was totalled. Officer asked if I wanted the deer but as the impact had broken off one of the antlers, I told him no. At this, two guys who had stopped to help stepped forward and said they'd take the buck and swung it up into their pickup.

November 16, 2003, stayed home and hid in a closet.

14. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

WaHoo - I hope your out of the closet, enjoying life, shooting well. Sorry for your misfortune but I loved your story

15. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

Back in the 60s I worked for GM. We had a setup man that lived out in the country. One Monday he came to work looking like he went through a meat grinder.

He was on has way home after the second shift ( 1am ) and saw a deer in the middle of the road. He stopped to check it out, he got a ballpean hammer from his tool box to finish the deer off if it was not dead.

When he grabed the rack to hit the deer with the hammer it jumped up ( just asleep ) and it's rack got caught in his leather jacket. He went for a ride in the woods as if the deer had on idea he was on his horn. Bounced off tree after tree bush after bush. He finally managed to get his coat off and fell to the ground. Took him an hour to find his car . Said he would never stop again.

16. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

Coming back from a day's hunting, during which we had no luck at all. Never saw a single deer. Came around a corner onto a long straightaway, and saw brake lights flaring, cars swerving, one oncoming car going into the ditch, and several stopping on the road. When we got up to the site, we saw 3 girls, from the car in the ditch, crying and wailing away, a couple of people getting out of their cars and heading up to the front of the parked cars, and several cars going the other way, with passengers gawking back at our side of the road. My partner & I, both having extensive first aid training, thought we would go help, if at all possible, and we were needed. We stopped, got out, and walked up to the front of the line, where we saw several people looking at a fork buck twitching and kicking on the pavement. We never said a word, just picked up a set of hooves each, and slung it over the concrete barrier on the side of the road. As we set it down, a guy came running up with a huge box end wrench in his hand, smashed the deer 2 or 3 times on the head, which killed it, but got the 3 crying girls REALLY going! Again, not a word said, we picked it up, carried it down to my truck, threw it in the back, and drove home. The three girls looked horrified as we drove by, but we figured it was a good life lesson for them. There was a lot of heavily bruised meat, which was inedible, but about 50 pounds of meat we didn't shoot was okay by us.

17. gun1357

gun1357 Active Member

I stopped by the Texas Game Wardens office today to see what I could learn. First, they will never tell you it is okay to shoot something on the side of the road. They don't care about non-game animals such as Axis deer or hogs. Don't even think about touching a game animal. Ron

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hit a small doe on hwy 395; killed it. Was in California in the Coleville area near the Walker River. Fortunately, no damage to my truck; doe hit low when jumped out and its head hit. I called the hwy patrol, I believe they will, in California, see that the deer gets taken to a prison. Road kill is illegal to take in California. This city boy learned a lesson after so many years camping in and traveling in the "boonies" of the West: Always keep a firearm in the vehicle once you leave the city. I do feel we have a contract with the animals to prevent suffering as best we can.

19. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Bernie your story got me my morning chuckle! There's lots of road kill stories heard here in MI. My wife can't seem to miss a deer in the road. Bill

20. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

All GREAT stories.

I like the one about my friends Dad in GA. Back in the early 90's my friend and I were camping in the back field behind his house and watched his father leave for work about 4:30 in the morning. Then about 15 minutes later he returned and we noticed he drove to the barn and turned on the light and opened the barn door. Curious we walked over to see what was going on and there was a buck stuck in his brush gaurd. The man hit the deer and stopped, saw it was lodged and couldn't see messing with it on the road so he turned around and drove it the 2-3 miles back home cleaned it and took 5 pounds of meat back to his supervisor at work and explained the ordeal. My friend and I were left some cuts and went back to the camp fire and made a nice fresh breakfast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.