1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rivers West Waterproof Fleece

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kenf, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenf

kenf Active Member

Just wondering if anyone on here has tried the Rivers West Waterproof Fleece for everyday and or hunting? I'm curious as to how the product holds up waterproofing wise and how they handle the warranty if something were to happen to it.

2. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I spent 12 days in the Yukon moose hunting in 2007. All it did was rain and snow. I wore Rivers West parka and bibs constantly. Very waterproof. The only problem that I had is that the parka has thumb holes in the sleeves and had a problem of wicking and I was wet up to my elbows. I found it to beat hell out of my Cabela's and Columbia Gore tex. Bill

3. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Warm, light and waterproof. The only complaint I have is the wicking up the sleeves, as described above, but it must be in a steady rain or snow. The pants take quite a beating through briers, thickets, etc. and have held up well.

4. kenf

kenf Active Member

I never thought about the wicking problem. I've experienced wet cuffs on my Gore Tex rain wear, but never had it wick back up the sleeves on me. My other understanding on this stuff is that it doesn't breathe well, hence they put the zippers under the arms to allow it to ventilate.

I'm wondering if a well thought out layer system using under armour and some fleece would not help pull the moisture away from your skin but still keep you comfortably warm if moving about/stalking yet be enough insulation to keep you warm while sitting for extended periods.

5. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kenf, That is exactly what I did. Under Armor long sleeve shirt and parka on top and Under Armor and bibs on bottom. I did carry a fleece vest in my pack to put on when we were sitting and glassing for extended periods of time. I was quite impressed at how warm this stuff is. Breathability was not a problem. Bill

6. kenf

kenf Active Member

Thanks Bill. A local western wear store/ sporting clothing store carries the line and some of the swear by it, but it's always good to get an unbiased opinion.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

I have used the same outfit for three seasons and there are two drawbacks on the stuff i have found. One is it is too warm for walking around in if the temps are above 50. You will sweat like crazy and then you become chilled once you stop moving. The second is the sleeves seem to always become wet inside. And i have returned mine once and was told it was a seam seal issue. Suppose to be fixed now. This season i will find out. It is the most waterproof quiet and durable stuff i have found for hunting though. Just does not breath at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rivers west polar fleace

rivers west shooting jacket

rivers west waterproof fleece 120494

rivers west waterproof fleece review

what is rivers west waterproofing