1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Risks of Carrier Barrel Conversion

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybreaker808, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. claybreaker808

claybreaker808 Member

I would like opinions from experts regarding the risks related to sending a browning XS Skeet 12g 30" to Briley Mfg for conversion to carrier barrels for subgauge tubeset. My intent is to have this gun match the weight of another XS Skeet to use in 12g events. Mahalo, George

2. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

ZERO risk..They do it all the time.. If.. on a logshot the barrels gets damaged.. they'll make it good..

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

They arent shootable barrels as carrier barrels

Other than spending a lot of money- how can anything go wrong?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It all depends on the weight of the barrel.. and what you are trying to match.. Some can be used both ways.. Some are for sub gauge tubes ONLY..

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Well they cant be used both ways if you truly want to match the weight- not with any conversion that I know of

Now if you dont mind being 4 or 5 onces off- true you can get a semi light barrel

Regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have wondered many times why a dedicated Skeeter would even shoot the 12.

The Twenty is Plenty on the Skeet field.

Several years ago, Todd Bender had a 1.000 average in the 20 ga for one season. That meant he did not miss one single target in a year of registered shooting with his 20.

Were I to get back into registered skeet, I would indeed have a carrier barrel set up for Briley Ultimate tubes. Would not shoot the 12 at all.

7. claybreaker808

claybreaker808 Member

I agree with Shooting Coach and do intend to shoot 20g in 12g events. I have other 12g guns so I do not intend to use the carrier barrel to shoot 12g. Just want to keep some extra weight out of the barrel. Thanks to all. George

8. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

You'd be amazed at the number of skeet shooter's whose highest average is in the 28ga --- no recoil.

With respect to "true" carrier barrels where you can no longer shoot the 12ga --- I had a couple done and weighed maybe 20 or 25 more and I've yet to see one with the tubes in not weigh at least 4 or 5 ounces more than when it was done and that's with the lightest tubes made. But I still think it's a very worthwhile option for most skeet shooters.

I've often though of buying a older TM-1 with a 34" barrel and have Briley make it into a carrier barrel and install a single 20ga sub-gauge tube and shoot it for singles.

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

If I've done my sums right, you'd have to open up the bores about .050 or so to remove the full 5-7 ounces per subgauge tube. As noted above, the bbls would be unusable for 12 gauge. Since Browning doesn't sell bbls alone, the gun would be permantly converted to a tube gun. I'd think if you were good with that, then go for it.

john

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

It is ridiculous to ruin a good set of barrels. There are other ways to arrive at the desired weight, especially if you don't shoot 12 gauge shells. The carrier barrel concept is a sales gimmick. It is much easier and cheaper to heavy up the 12 gauge gun than to lighten the tube gun. Why would you try to lighten the tube gun when 9 1/2 to 10 pounds is the goal??

11. 682b

682b Member

Hay, Coach does Todd Beader shoot a 20 ga in the 12ga event. In principle I agree with you. I carried better averages with the 20 than the 12 but did not run as many 100's. That's why I started shooting 1 oz loads. Jim

12. skeezix

skeezix Member

looked at it a bit a while back - there are frequent discussions on shotgunworld about this. This is some "data" that I cobled together based on several shooters that shoot the 12 in the 12 gauge events

The group of shooters we looked at shot a total of 117 12 gauge events in 2007. Among them they logged 78 perfect scores.

This same group had 117 20 gauge events and logged 61 perfect scores.

Their combined 2007 averages for 12 gauge was 12,492 broken out of 12,550 shot (0.99538 avg). Their overall total 20 gauge was 11,500 shot, 11413 broke (0.99243 avg.) or about 3 targets per thousand less than the 12 gauge.

FWIW

john

13. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

Todd Bender shoots the 20 gage for a while - then goes back to the 12. Then back. Then back again. Amazing shooter either way.

14. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

When most of the big boys in skeet use a 12ga in the 12ga event it's usually a gas-operated semi-auto. The Super-X is very popular.

15. 3on8

3on8 Member

I believe Wayne Mayes still shoots a Beretta 12ga auto. He did when I pulled for him....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
carrier barrel

carrier barrel for browning xs skeet