1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rising Shot Cost - 1 Ounce Loads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by paul7177, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paul7177

paul7177 Member

How many on here are thinking about switching, or have switched, to 1 ounce loads due to the rising price of shot?

2. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

For 16yd practice, that is all I shoot.

I shoot 1 1/8 oz factory loads for registered targets.

3. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I shoot only 7/8 oz. loads as far back as the 22 not because of cost but because of recoil.

4. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I just purchased the last 10 bags available from my local gun club for $35 a bag. ( Chilled hard shot ) I was prompted to do this since the owner said the next shipment will see the price rise by $5 per bag.

I have been loading 1 oz 12 ga. for quite some time. Actually have dropped down to a 3/4 oz. load in 20 gauge for the skeet range. I may start shooting the .410 more than I use to.

I realize that's not an option for devoted trap shooters - especially for those trying to stay competitive from the 27 yard line.

I haven't "done the math" but I'm no longer sure it pays to reload the 12 gauge. I know past threads have beaten that topic to death. I can certainly state it still makes sense to load the 28 ga. and .410 bore as long as I have the empty hulls.

The 12 gauge - I'm not so sure if you can still look for deals on factory loads and take advantage of bulk purchases ?

5. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

I've switched to 7/8 for practice and have not noticed any real difference in my scores. With the Cb 1100 or the Green Duster wads I get good looking and performing loads with either 1oz or 7/8 in Rem or AA hulls.

6. John55

John55 Active Member

I've been using 1oz loads for 16yds since 1985. Recoil is much easier to deal with and on 200 or 300 target days that becomes a real factor for me. The reduced cost is just an added bonus!

7. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I have been using 1 oz loads for paractice for several years and like them very much. I do usae 11/8 oz loads for competition. I have run my reloading cost calculator and find that even with $40 a bag shot, I can load 1 1/8 oz loads for $4.51 per box. Sinc the cheapest I have seen in my area is $55 per flat, which still makes relaoding cheaper.

....Paul

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

I going to shoot 7/8 oz out of a 20 gauge at the 16 yd.

I'll shoot 12 gauge when competing.

For now anyway.

9. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

When y'all switched to either 1-ounce or 7/8-ounce loads from your traditional 1-1/8 ounce loads...

Did you go to a smaller size shot to keep pellet count up ?

That is...

If you were shooting #7½ size shot in your 1-1/8 ounce loads, did you go to #8 shot for your reduced 1-ounce or 7/8 ounce loads ?

If you were already shooting #8, did you go to #8½ or #9 size shot ?

10. John55

John55 Active Member

I went to #8 shot for the 1oz load. Have tried 8.5 and 9s but ended up staying with the 8s. I use both 7.5s and 8s for 'caps in the heavier loads.

11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I've been shooting 7/8 oz loads since I noticed my average didn't drop (16~21 yard).

12. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Well lets just take a minute and look at this a while if you are on the target with 1 1/8 oz shot charge why would you be off with a 1 oz shot charge with the same choke the size of the circle of pellets should be the same but the string should be shorter, if my mind is correct on here one of the other guys that tests all the time proved that so I believe and I proved I can break annie targets and buddy targets way out as there falling to the ground and near the ground.

So focus on the target and the shot will go to the target.Learn where you're gun is shooting and the target will break.

It is nice to break targets with a 1oz 1290 HC load while every one is getting pounded by recoil it is so nice.

13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

When asked why he shoots 1-1/8 ounce loads,Leo replyed, because they won't let me shoot 1-1/4 loads. Very few top shooters use less than 1-1/8 ounce loads. Is 7/8 going to win a major title, highly unlikely. The first couple you dust, will give you brain issues. My experience. Clyde

14. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I've been shooting l oz. loads for several years now. I'll never go back. Even if lead goes back down to 16 dollars a bag. Like that will ever happen. Like they say you don't miss targets by inches, you miss them by feet. So a few pellets mean nothing. Tighten up your choke if you "think" you need to. Better yet!!! Just don't "think about it". Break-em all. Jeff

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

@ $38/bag you'll save 1.2 cents per shell, I think. When it gets to $64 a bag you'll save 2 cents per shell. It's either that or skip your can of Coke from the clubhouse.

16. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

Go try HC Nitro 1290 remintons and shoot a annie target and watch how fast the target is detroyed you will see what I mean it will make you wonder what 60 pellets are worth. its not the shell the gun or the choke it is focus and confidence, think about it one of the things is don't think about the miss you will miss with 1 1/8 oz or 2 oz it don't matter so just shoot the target .

17. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I've used 1 oz. for singles and both shots of doubles for a few years now with good results. I do use 1-1/8 oz. for my 'caps....

Curt

18. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I've been using 1 oz. loads for 3 years. I use them for 16 yd. ,sporting clays and any practice I might shoot. In handicap I load 1 -1/16 oz. loads. The only 1-1/8 oz. shells I use is if I buy new and that's not too often.

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

I did,being new and figured I wouldn't be shooting from that far back yet.Plus a few older gentlemen told me 1oz patterns better than 1 1/8.How they know that I haven't a clue.Broke my first 25 straight last august with it.Tempted to try 7/8 oz.,,but I think I'd have to give up my green dot then,it's only got 1 listing for 7/8 oz loads.I've been told from some regulars here I should change even at 1oz.,but,I got 2kegs(8lb) of green dot to use up first.

Doug H.

20. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Nothing wrong with a 1oz load. If it makes you feel better to use 1 1/8th oz in the shoots, go ahead. But, at 16 yds, if you aren't hitting them with 1 oz you'll probably not hit them with 1 1/8th oz either. I've found 1 oz to work well out to 25 yds. And this is using reclaimed shot. Beyond 25 I use virgin 7 1/2 oz in 1 or 1 1/8th oz. I also use the virgin shot for the second shot in doubles. Again, 1 oz in most cases. If you've ever shot with people that are good with a 410 shotgun you'll start to understand that while heavier loads CAN make a difference for a poor shooter, it means NOTHING to a good one. Get good with a 410, and you'll be top notch with a 12 gauge. Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.