1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ripped off!! Shooting Season may be over

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap200, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap200

Trap200 TS Member

Hi everyone, Do I yell,scream, or cry I am not sure what to do yet? From just about day 1 of my shooting I have always caught attention one way or another, In my first year it was that I shot as well as I did as a beginner shooting a VERY old 870 Remington (turkey gun) my second year it was running a 100 straight with that same gun, Then my 3rd year I a little intimidated by the fact that I had to hit the varsity kids, Well as the heat came on I just excelled and I was blessed with medals and trophies and of course my chance to make the top squad for state and after a 2 day selection process I had secured my spot on that squad and with all the hard work we won and This last summer I traveled with my squad to Sparta, Illinois where we all became National Champions! Me being the youngest of the squad, "The Rookie" Well as all this was happening I caught the eye of a guy that liked to recreational shoot and had several different guns and said he has one that would be just perfect for me. I did not pay much attention to it all knowing I could not afford a new gun and my parents could not really afford it either, But as most know everywhere you go there is talk and it seemed most the talk was that I needed to do something about that OLD gun I was shooting.

So when this prison guard that is employed for the California Youth Authority, A little league and football coach for the little kids here in town offered up a Browning Citori for me to shoot I was absolutely thrilled, Not only could I shoot the gun whenever I wanted but also offered to let me make payments on the gun to make it mine! All I had to do was treat it right, keep him informed as to my progress and make my payments as I made the money, I would take the gun to his house when I was not shooting so he could see that I was taking good care of it ( cleaning and upkeep ) So I kept my grades to A's and B's. Shot as well as I could every single time, I was able to take that gun to Sparta with me as if it were my own and make my payments to him as often as I could ( all the while he would say no pressure) do not let grades or shooting suffer to work to pay this off it will all come together, but I worked and gave this man every dime I made, I gave up getting a drivers license so I could just concentrate on paying for this gun. I managed $750 in just a few months.

This year after our trip to Sparta my coach told me that he thought I was ready to shoot the Olympic Bunker if I was interested he would like to invite me to give it a shot. So I did, I mean why not right I had the gun for it now and I have an awesome coach to help me learn enough to make a squad for it this summer and shoot as a USA shooter.

So everything was working out good for me, Until Monday. I went to pick up the gun Monday evening for my practice on Tuesday afternoon as I have done for many weeks now, So imagine my surprise when he told me I could not use the gun anymore. He sold it for cash to buy a car so he could commute 30 minutes to work. I was shocked, and in total disbelief. I finally gathered up my thoughts enough to ask him, "What about all the money I have already paid?" He told me, "We will just call that rent for all the times you have used it!" I did not even know what to say, I still don't. So now all the money I have paid for a gun is gone, I am supposed to compete on April 9th and bunker practice every Sunday and I don't have a gun. I have very little money now and it looks like I might be done for awhile. I am not really sure what to do..I am looking at colleges on my shooting disciplines and now I might miss a season.
    Someone suggested that I might cruise around on here and see if anyone had a cheap deal on a gun that would be capable of shooting trap and bunker trap. If you or someone you know has such a deal please have them post here or email me. At this point I am desperate.

2. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

do you have recipets for the layaway?????

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Get a loan. Pay the same payments like you always did except this one is yours.

4. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Get a job for four weeks, I'm sure you'll be able to make at least $250 a week at the end of the month you have $1,000 for a gun.

Consider what happened a lesson in dealing with people and money. A person's word means nothing, if you don't have it on paper you are SOL.

5. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If your story is accurate get in touch with anyone that will back your story as accurate and get any receipts you can find. Then give the scumbag one last chance to refund your money or take him to court for the lost money. Unfreakin believeable is all i can say.

6. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I would talk to the police about your problem.

7. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

Listen to me very closely. What happened to you was wrong--that gun was yours according to the agreement you described. Your "friend" had no right to take that gun from you. I know--I have a gun contract with my coach. He would NEVER withdraw a gun from my possession without my express opinion. You were wronged, and I feel for you.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

We never learn from our successes in life. But we do learn from our failures!!! Think long and hard if this man gave you at least some bad vibes about how or why he was tring to do what he did. Most people will give you some type of a warning if you are looking for one. Is he looking you in the face eye to eye when he offered this wonderful deal??? A lier will at some point turn away from looking at you when they lie. You will meet more people like this many more times in your life. Pay attention to details and always make payments with a check so you have a record of deals. Their is a place on bottom left for a small note like payment on XXX item. This will hold up in a court room where you can go to deal with people like this. Sorry to hear of your hard learned lesson in life. Best of Luck with your shooting. Breake-m all. Jeff

9. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

I think it would be more than appropriate for you to give us this man’s name, phone number, address and tell us where he works. There are enough of us guys on here and we could keep a thread about this guy at the top of the board for a long time.

Just incase there is some misunderstanding before this post gets started we should give him the chance to make things right. If he fails to do so we could post on here for the trap shooting community to see just what a jerk he is. It might also sway him to come clean if we started calling his employer and let him know about this guy. There are endless possibilities on what some of the more creative guys here on this site could do to maybe persuade him to be honest.

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

$75 might be called rent (the operative word is MIGHT, and that would entail VERY extenuating circumstances, like if you damaged the gun, and that money was to cover repairs). Keeping your $750 is outright theft.

11. Trap200

Trap200 TS Member

I live in Sutter Creek, California..

My mother flipped out on the guy she told him she planned to call the recreational place he coaches for, She said she would be contacting the Department of corrections, Well after all this he called and said he might could work a deal to get the gun back to me but I would have to pay the additional money in cash, So my mom called my grandma and she wrote a check yesterday, We drove over there after my mom told him we were on our way there, Mind you I live all of 2 minutes from his house in that short time he left his house, So I called his cell phone and he said he would be home in a bit he was going to go try to get the gun back, Well I never heard from him last night again, He just called here about 30 minutes ago and told me that he was unable to get the gun back from the guy that bought it from him, that the guy was not willing to part with it, But he was pretty sure this guy was just going to turn around and sale it for more money.

My mom said she will be calling anyone that will listen come tomorrow AM...
    And for anyone that is asking his name is :
    Tom Gold
    He lives in Sutter Creek,Ca.
    My mom said she will be calling CDC tomorrow and finding his place of employment
    and his boss, she will not go quietly I know..:)
    She is my biggest fan and advocate, but I saw her in tears tonight over all this mess. I really never would have dreamed of such a mess

12. Trap200

Trap200 TS Member

Yes I have parents and they are doing everything they can think of...My dad said he will talk to some legal people at work and find out if we have any legal action we can take but we are just afraid that since no FFL or anything was done yet then it comes down to possession being 9/10 of the law, I paid the man cash and it all seemed fine until just a few days ago...I was in his house weekly to pick it up and drop it off everything always seemed normal

13. fdiesel

fdiesel Member

Alright kid, here you go; although this matter is civil in nature, it involves a firearm, therefore any report filed will be a criminal one. With him being in law enforcement, he is held by his agency to a a higher expectation of keeping his private life unsullied and adhering to the law, therefore a call to the internal affairs of his department will immediately get his attention. There is a good chance that once a criminal charge (in this case a felony) is charged, it will usually cause for an immediate suspension. You should be detailed as possible with your facts regarding payment terms, terms of use, any records of payments, and any witnesses of any of it. Also if you are aware of who bought the gun, notify them that they bought a gun that was sold illegally.

What the guy did is borderline firearms trafficking. He facilitated the sale and made a profit off a firearm that was not his. The longer you wait, the weaker your case will get. Also if you recorded the serial number of the gun, that will be good to put in your report.

I hope you get the matter resolved quickly. Good luck!

Franklin Darryl Hayes
    97-00767

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The local police will likely try to pass this off as a civil matter. Tell them no, you want to file charges, specifically "theft by deception". If they still balk (and remember some agencies may consider the corrections officer to "be one of their own") you may have to contact the district attorney.

The real problem is that you have no written contract. Witness will help. But you may wind up getting nowhere. You may have to chalk this up as one of those lessons in life. And don't feel like you're the only one. I've been shined on too, and so have plenty others.

15. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

If this story is true, this man has not only wronged you, but has broken a state firearm law as well.

In California it is only legal to transfer a firearm through a FFL holder. That FFL must hold the gun for 10 days (24 hour periods) before giving the gun to the buyer. If you have been picking the gun up every week, it cannot have been the required 10 days since you last used the gun.

CA PC section 12071

16. Brian in Oregon

That may really up the ante!!!!

17. Trap200

Trap200 TS Member

Well if this is how it all is, Then I have to ask...Did I also break the law here?? I mean will I be in trouble when I get a hold of the police, internal affairs, ect.

18. Brian in Oregon

The gun was never transferred to you. You were only making payments on it. So not transferring ownership to you via an FFL is a moot point.

However, I do not know what the California law is on LOANING guns is, though. Nor on what he now claims is RENTING a gun.

19. Gary Beer

Gary Beer Member

Loaning a gun or selling a gun to a minor could be big as well.

20. Brian in Oregon

The NRA has a write up on this, at the link.

From what I see, the issue is going to be over the loan. Note this part exempting transfers via dealer and waiting periods "...infrequent temporary loan not to exceed 30 days to a person who is not prohibited form owning a firearm...".

Are you a "prohibited person"? While you are not prohibited from having a gun in your possession, I do not know if "prohibited persons" would include underage transferees for the purpose of loaning a firearm to non-family. You have to be 18 to purchase rifles or shotguns. If you are 18, then this would be a non-issue as far as a "prohibited person" is concerned. If you are under 18, then this could be a problem. (Handguns are 21.)

Also, the "infrequent temporary loan" part. Does the loan of the gun meet this criteria or not?

Frankly, at this point, it would likely be that a lawyer would be needed to ensure your rights are protected, and if this goes forward, that you are held in the eyes of the law to be the victim of this whole thing, and any violations of the law rest soley with the guy who ripped you off. Lawyers aren't cheap, and the bill will likely wind up being a lot more than you are out right now.

Perhaps the best thing it to mention the violations of law, and the possible unlawful transfer to whomever the current owner is, and tell this guy to make it right and transfer the gun to you via a dealer and allow you to finish making payments on it, just to make this go away. On the other hand, a lawyer may tell you that is covering up an existing crime.

The main thing here is protecting you at this point. Does your dad know a lawyer?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cyssa nationals 2016

cyssa scholarship