1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RIPOFF AT CABELA'S

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wackdux, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wackdux

wackdux TS Member

RIPOFF AT CABELA

Went to Cabela's in LaVista, Ne to sell some guns I wanted to get rid of. All of these guns are NIB and some of the same were on their website. Browning 625 field 20ga O/U on their website $2100.00 offer $650.00 Browning white lightning O/U 20ga again asking $1600.00 offer $525.00 Springfield M1A national match again asking $2600 offer $1300.00 Told them about pricing on Gun Library website, They said laughing "That's just an asking price, they usually get about half of what they are listed for" Besides being very rude, non professional and arrogant, They looked at me like I didn't know what I was talking about.
    So 2 things BEWARE, and lets EVERYBODY call the LaVista, NE store and request to buy the guns listed on their website for "about half of their asking price"
    I'm sure that we will find out again how arrogant and rude they can be.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Without ever having done it before, Cabelas would have been the last place i would have went to try and sell my guns. I'm sorry but your story really doesn't suprise me in the least bit. You may also note that trying to sell to a dealer is not ever going to bring you the best prices. They are in it to make money so they are gonna "Low Ball" you all day long. That is how they make money. Buy low/sell high. Your best return will involve you selling each gun yourself retail. I'm not trying to beat you up. Just my honest opinion. Good luck.

3. quartering

quartering Active Member

list your guns here or on gunbroker.com to get the fair market value. good luck with it

4. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

Aside from just being rude and arrogant, I dont see how they ripped you off. You wanted to sell some guns and didnt like the offer they gave you. Definitely try to sell here and/or on gunbroker.com!

5. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

A lot of dealers try to buy around 60% of value some want 20% to even sell your gun. Sell on here or gun broker can net you the most for your guns. You have to do more but you get more for them. Good luck Tom

6. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

...and NIB guns shouldnt be too hard to sell. Definitely get more money than selling to a dealer who will just lowball you and flip it for profit. Good luck!

7. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

While there is plenty wrong at Cabelas to bitch about, that's not one of them. When someone offers you money for something you are selling, no one is ripping anyone off. If you don't like the price, don't sell. Something is only worth, what someone is willing to pay for it, and most times, that's less than what the seller believes it should be.

There are tons of guns on gunbroker for sale that will never sell at their current listing price, yet the seller puts it back up at the same price, week after week, month after month.

The buyers job is to pay the least, the sellers job is to get the most. It's not a rip off when each is just doing their job.

Simple free enterprise.

8. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

It is the same for cars, or anything else. Dealers have overhead, and have to make money. The great thing about it is, you do not have to do the deal. Though I would not have wasted my time. Jon

9. DeAdLy.90T

DeAdLy.90T Member

If think those prices are bad...take your guns to pawn stars and see how much they offer you ;)

10. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

Your guns are not "New in Box" to them, and they get them really "new" as cheap as anyone.
    I just had someone show up at my house today (unsolicited), who "needs money now" offer me a "New in Box Unfired" gun for what I can get it from the distributor for (I have an FFL), and get mad and call me an asshole when I offered him 25% less, cash. I only had an interest in one of his 3 guns he brought, but his "firm" prices on the other two were similarly not anything special.

Screw him - I don't "need" that gun, and he "needs" the money. When he comes back tomorrow, and he will, I'll offer him $100 less for being a dick to me - if I even let him in - and I don't think I'm going to.

They didn't "RIP YOU OFF." You had unrealistic expectations.

11. wackdux

wackdux TS Member

Codebrown
    I would have been happy at 20%-25% off off his distributor pricing. I know I can refuse to sell them, my deal was how they treated an old gezzier, like I didn't know anything. I listed the prices for what they offered to give example, tell me what you would have offered, I bet it will be a bit higher than what they offered, considering they were 65%-70% less than listed. I can see 25%-30% profit. Have no problem with that.

12. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

That's realistic, but they probably won't tell you what the real #'s are.
    You should look on Gunbroker for what they are actually selling for - remember that is retail - search the closed auctions and look at what actually sold. Then list them if you like those prices, remembering that pictures are worth 1000 words.

"CABELA'S SALESGUY WAS A DICK TO ME" would be a better heading to your post. I generally think they are a good company, for one so big. But, there are dickheads everywhere. I'd complain to the manager about him, before trashing the whole outfit on the web.

13. Codebrown

Codebrown TS Member

(as far as what I'd offer, I'd only be interested in the M1A . . . and I'm pretty sure a blue NM one NIB is about $1600 or so dealer - would have to look - so that may not have been such a bad offer - must be a "loaded stainless?")

14. FIB

FIB Member

Sadly it not just Cabela's. I used to do ALOT of buying and trading at my local Gander Mtn. They always made their money but I felt they were fair. Now they offer you < than 50% of the blue book value. They have had the same 6-7 used guns for over 6 months now. Too bad because it used to be a great place to buy AND sell.

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Cabela's is looking to make a profit, not be your buddy buddy and give you a fair deal. No one is putting a gun to your head and forcing you to sell to them. I would never sell any guns to a store front dealer and expect any sort of "fair" deal.

16. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I agree with minnship8 completely. I think you are whining because they didn't offer you what you wanted for your guns, you didn't accept their offer so there is no ripoff, and there wouldn't have been if you did accept their offer. You have to put your big boy pants on when you go trying to sell products especially to a company in the business.

17. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It's not Cabela's responsibility to take your gun in on trade or for cash. They can buy as many new guns they want from the manufacturers and, at their negotiated price, that will include a full factory warranty.

You can do much better by just putting an ad here. Good luck.

18. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

"Told them about pricing on Gun Library website, They said laughing "That's just an asking price, they usually get about half of what they are listed for"

I would have pulled this out and offered them 50% of the asking price!!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gun-Library/La-Vista-Gun-Library%7C/pc/103792680/c/105942780/Perazzi-MX-10-OverUnder-Trap/1128903.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fgun-library-la-vista-gun-library%2F_%2FN-1103677%2FNo-96%3FWTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNP

19. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

you have a PM

20. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They could care less if you walk or not, there are plenty of suckers one the line behind you. Kind of like a pawn shop. Remember when you trade with Cabelas your paying for all that indoor eye candy and the dead animal zoo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

does cabela pay fair prices on used guns

does cabelas rip you off on used guns

how much will cabelas pay for m1a