1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ripen on the vine??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by grntitan, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I like to grow and eat the cherry tomato varities. I had been having alot of tomatoes take forever to ripen. The other day i talked to an Amish man in Buchheits(local farm supply outlet). They grow tomatoes and sell them locally. He said to pick the cherry tomatoes when they just start turning from orange to red. He said they will fully ripen on their own. The reason he gave was that it would allow the plant to put all its energy into making more tomatoes. I just thought since he was Amish he would know "the best" way to do it.

So what do you guys do?

Here is what i always look for but sometimes they rot before they would get there. He says pick them long before this.
    grntitan_2009_250381.jpg

And yes these are this years. :)

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Not exactly on this subject, but kind of. Most tomatoes in the stores, or even in the produce stands, this time a year around here are trucked in from points south. They pick them green and ship them green. Red ripe tomatoes would go to mush on a long trip by truck.

After they get them here they expose them to a gas and they turn red. They don't ripen, they just turn red. They are now red and unripened and still taste like green tomatoes.

Well I had some great tomatoes at a church lunch, so I asked where they got them. I was told they got them at the produce stand in the next town, and that those tomatoes came from Florida. I said I didn't think they could ship ripe tomatoes that far. They lady said she didn't know how what they did, but taste them for yourself. I did. Good.

So the next time I was in that town I stopped at that produce stand. The tomatoes looked like the same red colored green tomatoes they were selling at the grocery store. Tasted the same too, if you could even say the had any taste.

I put them in the refrigerator. My wife is having some dental work done and her teeth are very intolerant to cold food right now, so she asked me to leave some on the counter for her. I did. A couple of days later she was eating these and was saying how great they tasted. So I tried some. They tasted great. I pulled one out of the refrigerator. It was tasteless and mushy. ????

So bought some from the local grocery store. Some in the frig, some on the counter, and waited a few days. Those on the counter tasted great. Those in the frig were tasteless and mushy.

So I'm guessing those on the counter ripen (taste great), those in the frig don't.

3. sterlingworth

sterlingworth Active Member

Here's a little trick I learned.When you buy tomatos,and there a little green,put them in a bowl around a apple,and cover with a wrap,leave on counter.The gas that the apple gives off will ripen the tomatos.Just thought I'd pass that along..Ray

4. bkms

bkms Member

I do the cherry and larger variety either way. But if i leave the larger type tomatoes on the vine and they turn red, birds will peck on them which ruins them. Every tomato i have picked that turns the slighest hint of red/orange that i picked has turned blood red in the house after a couple of days. That picture you posted to me looks like Roma tomatoes which i have. They are supposed to be real good for spahgetti or pasta type dishes. Our cherry variety here is south Ms are round. If you like bacon and tomato sandwiches and you dont want to fry bacon, get you some Bac-O's instead. A friend told me, i tried it and like it. I also have some Brandywine type tomatoes that arent ready yet and i was told if i ever eat a ripe one i wont go back to the others. Hope to find out soon.

5. porky

porky TS Member

Tomatoes do ripen after being removed from the vine. Just try to keep one on the counter and let it sit there. The smell from a rotten tomato is the worst. In order to keep the seeds from a tomato, the seed companies allow the tomato to go throught the ripening stages to overripe and the rotten. The seed process requires it to produce properly. If you are in the produce business, you will pick tomatoes in the slightly green state and then ship them. They will ripen naturally. The Amish fellow knew what he was saying. You will get more tomatoes that way because the only thing that a tomato plant has to do is reproduce. Producing tomatoes is the only way that will happen. I would like to read any scientific paper that states that tomatoes will not ripen off the vine because if you let a tomato ripen fully on a plant, it will signal the plant that it has suceeded in it's design and stop growing tomatoes. There are a lot of papers written on that. Any ripe fruit placed with tomatoes will give off methane gas and that will ripen tomatoes.

6. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I was taught to NEVER put a home grown tomato in the frig and, until recently, I never have. Supposedly takes away that pure home grown taste. I put some yellow pear toms in the frig two weeks ago cause I had several million of them. Just pop em cold...delightful! If you let Cherokee Purples ripen on the vine they will always have some rotten part. Delicious tom but timing is super critical on ripening vs when its picked. Most Heirloom (Brandywine)type toms are touchy on when to pick...IMO.

Anyone tried growing the new strain called "Homley Homer"? Ugly like a Brandywine and a taste test winner. Thin skinned and awesome taste.

For ripening with gas, try bananas and/or apples.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.