1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio Type 209 primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by akhunterphil, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akhunterphil

akhunterphil TS Member

Hey guys, I was wondering about Rio primers as apposed to Cheddite. I've been using the Rio primer for a few thousand now in conjunction with clays powder and have been having pretty good luck. As of now 3 or 4 bad primers out of a few thousand. When I say bad ones I mean they didn't fire or required shooting a second time to go off. May be more of a firing pin/spring issue in my gun than primer. Im getting the Rio primer for $25 a thousand her in Anchorage and it looks like I can get the Cheddite possibly cheaper. I see allot of you use them. Are they a better primer than the Rio? Good in cold weather?

Thanks!
    Phil in Alaska

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The Rio primers are oversize. Once you use one in a hull regular sized primers will fall out. Chedites are good and are nornal size. HMB

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I buy Rio's by the 100K. Good, hot primer. Who cares if they are oversized?

It is not like I will be buying Remmie 209P's any more.

They work well in cold weather. If you are getting light strikes, it is a gun issue. They are not hard.

4. akhunterphil

akhunterphil TS Member

Thanks guys. Shooting coach, would you shoot the cheddite if you could get them cheaper than the Rio?

Phil

5. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have shot several hundred thousand Rio's never one problem

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Phil, either is fine. The point is they are not interchangeable once the Rio's are used..

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I prefer the Rio because it is a hotter primer. With that said, I have shot wheelbarrows full of Cheddites. Just use a grain more powder with them.

I have 55 gallon drums full of Rio and Diana hulls, which require the Rio primer. Another reason I prefer the Rio.

Many of my 28 and 410 hulls are Rio. They load well, fire them once and on the ground.

8. akhunterphil

akhunterphil TS Member

Ok great! I was told the winchester primer was the hot one and the rio just average. But nobody said anything about the rio being the larger of the group. I'll stay with the rio then.

Thanks again!

Phil in Alaska

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

oversize 209 primers

rio primers cold weather