1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio Shotshells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by butcher, Sep 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butcher

butcher Member

Are the Rio shotshells good?

2. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Yes they are and a great value too.

Some who shoot expensive guns complain that they don't eject well however.

The wife's XT and my 3200s consume them readily and eject them with authority.

If you shoot a Seitz and like to catch your spent hulls mid-air in a really cool fashion, you may be disappointed.

Guy B.

3. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I've shot about 15 flats of the 2 3/4 dram 1oz. and 1 1/8 loads with good results. I did find that some of the shells were not perfectly round and had to be pushed into the chamber and also had some that were supposed to be 1oz. loads that had a mixture of 24gram markings on the hulls. After weighing, they were actually all one ounce. Wouldn't have any problems buying and shooting more if the price was right.

Steve

4. Libra1310

Libra1310 TS Member

That's pretty much all I shoot. Price is right and my handicap yardage does not require I use a nitro load.

Chris

5. PSRFdaily

PSRFdaily TS Member

I have had problems with misfires using 28 guage. I noticed this at the homestead gc in va (they provide the ammo).The guys said they have noticed the same thing with the sub gauges . 3 misfires in 50 rounds. I have never had this happen with Winchester, Remington , or federal in my gun. 12 guage has been flawless so far.

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Keman's is the sister company. These shells are there Premium line and worth the difference in price if you can find them locally. The Rio's are a good shell though, but they have 3% antimony while the Keman's have 5-6% antimony. break em all JEff

7. fcd67

fcd67 Member

I shot my first 100 straight with Rio's. They pattern great in my Superposed.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I've shot probably 50 flats of them over the last few years. Only 1 misfire, and it fired the 2nd time! Great shells!

9. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

They're just "OK" in my opinion, but nothing special. No better or worse than bargain shells from Winchester, Federal, or Remington in my experience. One flat of Rio's out of about 6 I purchased earlier this summer produced more than a few pierced primers when fired thru my BT-99, it may have just been an anomaly with that particular flat or lot number of shells, but I haven't had any similar problems with any other brand of shell. I probably won't be buying any more Rio's for awhile, but I wouldn't avoid them like the plague either if a really good deal came along.

10. BillJ

BillJ Member

My friends and I have purchased and shot over 1,000 flats. I was satisfied with them until lately. We have had a rash of bad crimps on some 1oz loads. I spoke with a Rio rep at the Grand and he promised to send me some replacement shells. As yet, I have not seen any. Too bad, customer service can spoil a comany's reputation.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

As the man from Minnesota commented those who shot them in our winter league found them not the best and ignition was finicky...they would park their 2 boxes next to the furnace or radiators to get them warm..mild and warm weather they work fine..I stick to Estates if they are the same money or a few dollars more for cold weather shooting

12. Melon

Melon TS Member

I shoot a Silver seitz, and my rios would stick in the chamber and would not eject. I carried a piece of brass to drop down the barrel. Some days one would stick out of 100, some days it looked like I was shooting a muzzle loader. But when rios started to be manufactured in tennessee I havent had any stick. I shoot them because they hit targets hard.

Hope this helps, zack

13. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've used the 24gm shells shooting bunker. Gone through five flats without any malfunction. Chichay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
are rio shotgun shells any good
is rio shotshells any good
rio 12 gauge shotgun shell complaints
rio dove shells review
rio shotgun shells review

rio shotshell review

rio shotshells review

rio trap shotshells