1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio shells

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by speer130, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speer130

speer130 Member

I was told today that RIO shells will no longer be available by CAC distributors here in Western Pa. Has anyone heard the same about the future availabliliy of RIO's? Also there will be a 22% increase on shells starting in January.

2. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

The $dollar losing value to the Euro it will certainly cause imports to rise. Who would buy Rios if they were not priced so favorabley to shells made in USA?

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

The RIO/Kemen are great shells. The price however like everything else is going through the roof due to lead cost and the euro imbalance. Would I buy them if Remington, Federal or Winchester were the same price probably not but at $1-$2 a box difference I will. I have about 60+ flats in inventory of Kemens. Average price about $38 a flat.

TB

4. oddlott

oddlott Member

I have a Seitz and the RIO ejects just fine. Dennis

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My K-80 digests large quantities of Rio, Diana and Kemen reloads without fault. My club, which hosts one of the largest SCTP rograms in the nation, sells a pallet or more a month and I get more empties than I can sort!

I have turned my friends on to the goodies needed to load these hulls and now they shoot the fire out of them too! No one I shoot with has any issues with these hulls, new or reloaded.

The VERY few factories I have shot have given flawless functioning and performance.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

TjayE ... being a dealer of them and actually having them and selling them are a different story. There are many dealers of this and that out there but whenever you go to get what they are a dealer of they are out of stock.

I shoot at a club that deals with CAC and asked this weekend what they have recently heard about Rio from CAC and ... well ... they still are a dealer/distributor of them but they most likely will not have any or get any for awhile of them. This club along with another Rio source that also purchases from CAC has been shorted and such on many occasions just because CAC does not have the shells. I have been told that currently Federal Top Gun and Remington Gun Clubs are about 10% to 15% less than Rio's from CAC and for the price of Rio's vs. those they are going to get very few Rio's.

Oh well ... I really liked the Top Sporting load from Rio and maybe someday I will shoot them again.

7. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

[TjayE], Hey Tom, maybe you can answer a couple of questions. Are the Rio Top Trap (green hull) comparable to the Kemens? I got a few flats at CAC last year, and they performed well for me. Although I didn't do any testing beyond cutting a few open, the shot is quite round, no dumbells or flattened shot. What's your opinion? Thanks, Phil C.

8. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

lumper,

More or less all of the clubs around here deal with CAC, and none that I have ever heard of got shorted by them. The Natchers are all good people, I've shot with all of them, and I buy all of my reloading supplies/loaded shells off of them with absolutely no problems. They've gone out of their way to help me out, and I don't believe they would short anyone.

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Justin ... dont take any offense at this but when you order say 50 flats and they send you 20 or 30 and say that is all they have and there is no backorder that is considered shorting an order.

Now I aint saying they are bad people but when this happens 2 or 3 times in a month that is rather ... well ... that is kind of ... well ... I dont know exactly what to say other than they always had 20 or 30 flats but never 50 as was ordered by the people I know. Maybe they should have just order 100 flats and seen what would have happened.

To bad that with the euro vs. the dollar that the price is going to be so expensive on them.

10. erm

erm Member

Who is CAC?

11. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Lumper,

OK, but Bill is always up front with what he can supply to all the clubs I know of, I've never heard of him not bringing what was ordered...

erm,

CAC Associates is in Ebensburg, PA- around here they're the cheapest place to buy shells, components, etc. Great people to deal with if you're in PA- give them a call.

12. erm

erm Member

thanks justin.

13. steele

steele TS Member

Over the last couple of years, I've bought 4-5 pallets of RIO shells from Bill & Terry at CAC. Never a complaint from me. I always get what I order, maybe a flat or 2 less, but usually right on the money Obviously,I shoot quite a bit to use this many, & they all go BANG. No matter what the industry, all suppliers are not always stocked completely, just the nature of the beast being a distributor for a fast moving product.
    Butch from Pgh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.