1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by capvan, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capvan

capvan Active Member

At our club the other night, someone was shooting "Rio" shells. Most of us had never seen them. About every other shell was sticking and he had to use a rod to push the shell out. Are they as bad as this made them out to be? He wasn't happy. Said he got a "deal" and bought a lot of them.

Anyone know anything about these shells?

cap

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have never shot any, but.. I know alot of people who have, they used to be made overseas now they are from McEwen Tennessee,I shoot on a league every thrusday evening and one some of the guys there shoots them in their 1100s.. no issues so far.. there are plenty of rio empties at the club so they must be ok..

3. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

I've shot about 10K of them this year, no problems. One or two boxes were crushed slighly and a shell was unusable.

Dave Eberhart

4. Bill Stern

Bill Stern Member

I've been using them for a few years. They're very clean shooting, and I've had very few stick in the chamber. They're not AA's but they're also much cheaper.

5. Taxidermy

Taxidermy Active Member

It must of been a Lujtic, Have sold and shot thousands and no problems except in a Lujtic. Thanks Ronnie

6. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Intersting, a friend of mine also had problem with Rios in his Lujtic.

7. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

capvan:

if your friend is within a reasonable driving distance to northern VA and if the shells are brass based, I will gladly take them off of his hands for a good price. I shoot Rio brass based shells in my K80. Never a problem and they break targets just as good as the pricier STS/AA.

8. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Don't all Rios have steel bases, just brass colored?

9. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

sernv99:

Eurotrash shells including Rios, are all loaded in Cheddite hulls. None of them have brass heads.

sissy

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

ahhhhhh.... maybe they are brass plated.....I thought Rio used real brass but based a quick internet searched I may have been mistaken.... anyway, I shoot Rios and have not had any problems in my K80, e.g. do not stick and are clean burning.

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The steel the Rio bases are made of is really thin; it expands easily to fit snugly in tight or dirty chamber. If your chamber is tight, shoot a different shell; if it's full of crud, try cleaning it with a chamber brush.

MK

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Just a thought. Try the Rio website for more info.

I just got some of these. They shoot nicely.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rio is probably the most popular discount shell in the area I normally shoot. They do work well in many guns, but not mine. Many fine scores have been shot with these shells. Do not be overly concerned with the velocities printed on the box. My testing has indicated that the velocities on the box are not closely related to the velocities of the shot as it comes out of the barrel. There are some additional velocity problems in at cold temperatures with these shells. Most importantly, they work well for many shooters.

Pat Ireland

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

LOVE their Flyer loads!

15. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

what discount shell would be good for cold weather? We do have a couple stretches of cold weeks here in the D.C. metro area but nothing like the Dakotas or Maine/Vermont artic blast in the winter....

16. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Is Kemen part of Rio?

Ray

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ray, Yes both Keman's and Rio's are or were made by UEE in Spain. They are the worlds largest manufacturer of shotgun shells. They make everything for there shells at there factory on site. None of the components are farmed out to subcontractors as it were. At least they use to, not sure if they are made here or just assembled here. Anyway the Kemans are their Premium line of shells. These use the 5-6 percent antimony lead, are made to closer spec's. (sized better) than the Rio line of shells. The Rio's (blue) are pretty inconsistant in their sizing from lot to lot, they will sometimes fit loose and others in the same box will fit snug into the chamber. They also have 3 percent antimony lead in them as well. The powder,primer,wad are all the same in both. The Top Trap and Top Sporting Clay loads in Rio's that have the green hulls have the higher 5-6 percent antimony and may be sized better than the blues. Its best to try a few boxes of these shells before you buy them in large amounts to see how well they work in your guns. They used to be a great deal before the dollar dropped against the Euro. then they got priced out of site 2-3 years ago after the dollar dropped, now they are getting to be a better deal now again (dollar rising against the Euro?). Although not quite as good of a deal as they were 5-6 years ago. For 16 yard shooting and shorter handicap to say 22 yards (this covers say 75% of shooter) they are a excellent load for the money now again. If you shoot longer handicap or like the longer games do try the Keman's Or Top line of Green Rio's as I really like these Premium shells better if you can find them. They used to be like 3 dollars more for a whole flat and well worth the difference if you can find them. My 2 cents. Break-em all. Jeff

18. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The RIO's I have shot have done well.

The time I shot 50 of them I was starting to think I have only shot one other factory shell that Kicked harder

The one time I shot hundred bird event with them, I changed my mind, I have never shot a shell that kicked harder!

but they're actually not a bad shell.

Al

19. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

This is the firs year I've shot them. Not a problem except the sizing as mentioned above. I shoot them out of a TMX and an MX 14-L combo. Some shells need slight force to get it into the chamber. Have shot them for singles (1 oz.) 3 dram for hdc. and second shot of doubles. Am purchasing more for next year.

Steve Elliott

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have shot many cases (flats) of the Rio Handicap loads and find that they are actually pretty good shells ... I did not find that they had excessive recoil and only had one stick in an MX-2000 I was shooting, it went in really tight and probably should of not been put in the gun in the first place ... The price was right on them when I was shooting them but I have not seen them around out here in Arizona for quite awhile ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
animony in rio shot shells
kemen shotgun shells review
rio shotgun shell issues

rio shotgun shells tight chamber

rio shotshells antimony content

rio star team shotgun shells

rio trap shooting shells

where is rio no 9 shotgun shells made