1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio Shells: Are they O K ?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Houston6, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

Are the Rio shells ok for 16 yard trap? What is your experience?
    Thanks
    houston6

2. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Yes, they are fine. Do a search for all the info you'll need.

3. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Mild recoil, Hard breaks.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

They are more than fine and ignore all the migratory base wad debacle and shoot them til the cows come home.

5. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

Rio shells are an OUTSTANDING shell for short yardage, In both 1.1/8 & 1oz. Past 23 yards...not a good idea.
    Price is/was right

6. trapshooter1981682

trapshooter1981682 TS Member

I have shot the Rio's for a couple years, and to bes honest, i really like them. They smack the 16's really well, and depending on your yardage, i have shot the 3dram at 21 and they work great for those too. For the price of them and the Federal Top Guns, a person cant go wrong with them at 16 yards.

7. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

They work great for where ever you want to use them, depending on the velocity.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

If you can find them ... RIO Top Sporting is a 1oz load spittin out the barrel at 1285fps. A great all around load and if ya dont mind 1oz loads it should take ya back almost as far as you care to go.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

The only problem we've encountered here in Delaware, is when the weather gets really cold and the shells are left outside in the car/truck or a cold storage area....we had alot of poppers!

Curt - Delaware

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rio shells work fine but they are temperature sensitive. Also, the velocities printed on the box is exaggerated. They do kick less because they are slower than the information on the box suggests. I determined this with an inductive chronograph, not a simple light chronograph.

They will go off in my gun each time but a long stick is required to get the empty hull out of my gun each time. I guess my chamber is a bit tight.

Pat Ireland

11. steele

steele TS Member

I have shot approx 200 flats per year for the last 3 years. From 7/8 to 3 dram handicap, all w/o a problem. My better half will have a stuck shell in her mono-gun once in every 3-4 flats. I fixed that by running a chamber brush & wiping the chamber with a little lube every time I clean it. No more problems. I don't store my shells in the cold, so I can't attest to the bloopers do to temp. Like other people here say, "you do your job & they do thiers!" If you are from Houston, check Able Ammo, Huntsville, TX 800-720-3275. Ask for Randy Wright, he is the owner. I met him on an elk hunt in Colorado. Just tell him Butch from Pgh, PA set you.

12. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Got my final punch with a 97 using the greeny weenie 1250's last weekend after 100 with the blue lights on the singles.

13. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I did have to dig a lot of the 1250's out of the chamber. I find this keeps you to busy to talk yourself into missing,lol

14. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

Shannon: Congrats on the 97 and the punch!

As far as the sticking concerns, Rio has redesigned the steel-"Brass"-base on all of their target loads. They have shortened the base and so far the results are promising. I had a friend shoot some of the new green handicap in a Ljutic-he had 1 stick out of a box of 25-with the previous high brass design he had almost all of them stick in his chamber. Roger

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Thank you Roger,

Good luck to you and AJ at the grand!

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Roger ... I thought some of the newer Rio's looked like a shorter base.

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I have been shooting the Rio paper handicap load from the 26 yard line and I haven't had any ammo related problems. I don't like these shells as much as the Nitro 27 shells but they seem to break the targets just fine. The cost of those paper handicap loads was $45/flat last year and I thought that was a good value back then.

18. zinger

zinger Member

Shot them all this past weekend at the E.Zone and they broke my targets just fine! Singles, doubles and handicap. I have no complaints. Kim Bateman

19. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

for 16s i use RIO 28 1 oz. 2 3/4 dram. i've tried remington gun club loads, dianas, and diana papers. i know thats not many, but thoseare the cheapest. and out of all those, the rios are the best. i'm even shooting rios at the grand.

jacob moser

20. Paul Jones

Paul Jones TS Member

I had the RIO 3 dram 7 1/2 handicap loads stick in my BT-99. I switched to the sporting clays version with the same load (lower brass) and have had no problems since.

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.