Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rio Primers?

6K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  AveragEd 
#1 ·
I was just wondering what everyone thought of the rio primers. I have been shooting cheddites and like them a lot but I can get cases of rios for a pretty good price. Thanks in advance for the help.

Sincerely, Osker Reynolds

#3 ·
Oversized European primer that is as hot as a Federal 209A. They don't have any issues in cold weather. I never had any misfires in the 2500 that I tried (shooting buddy and I split a sleeve).

I haven't reloaded any for about a year because I got a sweet deal on 10,000 Wnchester 209's

ss

#4 ·
I've been reloading them for several years. Never a misfire and they have no problem with cold temperatures. They do enlarge the primer pocket slightly so you won't be able to go back to Winchesters, Remingtons etc. You must dedicate those hulls to the Rio primers.
AJ

#5 ·
I occasionally punch a hole in one but they're OK otherwise. They work better with slower powders in straight-walled hulls; they over-pressure quickly in Remington and Winchester tapered hulls with less capacity especially if the crimps are too deep or the wad pressure higher than it needs to be. They are very touchy with 1 1/8 loads and powders like Clays, Claydot, Red Dot etc. Rio uses a slow single base powder over them in hulls with lots of capacity.

There is limited data here: http://www.rioammo.com/images/ReloadingData209RioPrimers.pdf and two loads in Alliant's on-line data. They tend to be inconsistent which is why there is virtually no powder company data for them.

Powder company tests show them to be generally hotter than Federals. They are not a primer to be swapping casually for others without testing.

MK

#6 ·
After hearing the conventional wisdom about Rio primers being hot and not wanting to run into excessive pressures, I called Alliant Powder and asked if they had any test data. They told me that they had pressure tested Rio primers in STS hulls with Red Dot and Promo under 1 1/8 shot charges and found them to average very slightly LESS pressure than STS or AA primers.

Their recommendation was that Rio primers could interchange with STS and AA primers.

Not trying to start a fight, just reporting what I was told.

Merry Christmas.

JimBo

#11 ·
Thanks for the info about the Rios. Those guys have great prices on some stuff.

Load the ammo up to 9000-10000 PSI and there will be no cold weather performance issues.

LOVE the RIO primers. I have 55 gallon barrels of sorted Rio/Diana?Kemen hulls.

You're darned right I'm gonna load 'em. LOL

Have a great Christmas.

#12 ·
Since somebody brought up powder companies and recommendations, this email was posted in the Shotgun World forum a couple months ago:

<I>"From: "Quesenberry, Dick" <Dick.Quesenberry@ATK.COM><br>
To: xxxxxxxxxx@xxxx<br>
Cc: "Amonette, Ben" <Ben.Amonette@ATK.COM><br>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 1:46 PM

I am Dick Quesenberry, Product Manager for Alliant Canister Powder. Ben
and I have discussed your e-mails and problems with Rio primers and our
product. I apologize for the difficulty that you have encountered and
appreciate you using our product.

We just completed work for the new revision of our Reloaders Guide,
which was very badly needed. During this effort we tested all primers in
a standard controlled load for both straight wall and tapered shells to
correlate their brisance. The following conclusions were drawn from that
effort:<br>

<blockquote>*Primer brisance will vary from Lot to Lot within the same brand.
Most vary within SAAMI safety limits but Rio was found to be extremely
variable.<br>

*We do not publish reloading recipes using Rio primers for the
above reason.</blockquote>

I have also talked to Kevin at Down Range (who happens to be a great
guy) and he agrees with our findings.

If I was forced into recommending load data using the Rio 209, I would
have to recommend loading like the Federal 209A and that may still give
slightly higher velocities and pressures.

I understand the need to save money on components but we must not
sacrifice safety.

If I can be of further help please e-mail me or call at XXX-XXX-XXXX and
push XXXX at the recording."</I>

MK

#13 ·
I load RIO's exclusively, never a problem with them, I have used 50,000 of them
interchangebly with Winchester primers, on fast and slow burning powders.

I also like chedites, but getting Rios cheaper.

The only primers I had problems with were Fiochi's not going off, mis-fires and it is not the gun and firing pin, all other primers work in them.

Traded 4500 of them for Rio's and been using them ever since.

Gary Bryant
Dr.longshot

#15 ·
One of my readers is the person who communicated with Alliant regarding Rio primers and received the reply that MK posted above. I find it odd that Alliant would offer contrasting advice to different people. But given the possibility that Rio primers could be risky to use in hotter loads and the way they ruin primer pockets for future use with "normal" primers, I'd suggest doing the math to determine just how little you might be saving by using them.

I know, I know - some of you will rip me for suggesting such a thing, what with the economy and all. If so, you will remind me of a guy who used wads for straight-walled hulls in tapered ones because he could get the same velocity with a grain less powder that way. Out of curiosity, I did the math and using what I paid for PB, one of the more costly powders, and loading 10,000 shells a year, I could save less than ten bucks a year by using the wrong wad.

Wow!

Ed

#17 ·
Average Ed

I find it odd that Alliant would offer contrasting advice to different people.
unquote

We just completed work for the new revision of our Reloaders Guide, which was very badly needed. During this effort we tested all primers in a standard controlled load for both straight wall and tapered shells to correlate their brisance. The following conclusions were drawn from that effort:

*Primer brisance will vary from Lot to Lot within the same brand. Most vary within SAAMI safety limits but Rio was found to be extremely variable.

*We do not publish reloading recipes using Rio primers for the above reason.
unquote

Read the whole statement by Al;liant!

#18 ·
Ahab,

Maybe it's me but your post in response to Average Ed makes no sense at all.

=============================

Since that email was sent by Alliant stating that they did not have any published data for Rio primers, they have included 3 formulas for Rios in their reloading data:

one formula for Federal GM hulls hulls:

<center>
</center>

and two formulas for AA hulls:

<center>
</center>

MK

#19 ·
tuscarora 99

I would tell you to buy them if you could get a deal. Just be VERY conservative when you select a load using them. Treat them as hotter than the hottest primer listed, and you'd probably in the ball park. Select loads that develop low enough pressures to give you enough headroom for error. They seem to work the best in the larger capacity straight walled hulls, like the Federals and UEE offerings. They will enlarge the primer pockets in hulls that use the "standard" 209 primers.

Anyone that says they are the "same" as any other primer is a fool. There is no direct substitute. If you feel the need, you can select a load and have some shells tested for pressure and velocity. That would give you a better idea of what you are getting.

#21 ·
I and a couple of my friends have used rio primers for the last three yrs.but we shoot lite loads having found they pattern so much better for us.they give us a better powder burn also. we have also found that if you use a supersizer it will shrink the primer pocket to reload win and rem primers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.