1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio Primers compared to Cheddite's???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trap2, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Is anyone using the Rio primers in place of the Cheddites? Specifically in a Perazzi. I have been using Cheddites for a long time, but, at $10.00 less a brick, I am tempted to try the Rio's. How do they compare to the Cheddites and are they the same diameter? I tried the Noble Sports and had some trouble with them and am reluctant to change from the Cheddites. Thanks....Dan Thome (Trap2)

2. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I like them better. I only used Cheddites once and it was a while ago so I can't address the diameter issue. They are about the same size as Fiocchi 616's if that helps. JRM

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

JRM....Why do you like them better?...Thanks....Dan

4. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

I used some RIO primers and they worked OK for me except they appeared to have a small burn through hole where the firing pin struck them.
    I also found that I could not use any other primer once the hulls were sized for the RIO's (they are oversized compared to other primers)
    I've switched to Fiocchi 616's and found they workd as well as any American primer I've used.
    I have also used a lot of Chedite's and like them also, but I'm getting a better price now on the Fiocchi's

5. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Trap2, I found the Cheddites left a lot of powder residue in the barrel and even some flakes in the receiver. At the time I was using Federal and Fiocchi and I liked them a lot better. Of course I then found out Cheddites were from France and that totally ended any chance I would use them again. JRM

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jack....How did the rotator cuff surgury go? Hope you're doing ok.....Dan

7. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

How much for 1,000 Rio primers?
    How much for 1,000 Chedddite primers?
    How much for 1,000 Fiocchi primers?

In my area Remington and Winchester 209's go for $21.00 per 1,000. If they are $10.00 cheaper per 1,000 like the poster said above, I get interested.

Is there any loading data for the Rio's? I am sure my IMR manual does not have any.

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Big Al....
    They are $10.00 cheaper than Cheddites per brick (5000M), not per 1000. Currently selling at Connies Components in Centralia, Wash, for $74.99 per 5000 with a 5 case minimum......Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. GordonWood421

GordonWood421 TS Member

A problem I encountered with the RIOs was when reclaiming them , because they must be a tad bigger in dia (as has been mentioned ) and when the extra force is necessary to get one out , it increases the dia a bit more .

In my P-W , that extra few mils causes the primer to hang up in the reprimer gate . P-W owners know what a SNAFU that is .

Charlie

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

"Little Al" got his post pulled it appears

Hope he learned something

regards from Iowa

Gene

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have gone to the Rio exclusively. Love 'em. All my guns and loads love 'em. As cheap as they are, I don't care that expensive STS or WW209's no longer fit the hull.

12. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

jbmi, I couldn't tell for sure from your post, but you are aware that Fiocchi primers are made in Missouri, aren't you?

Buz

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

There is very limited data for the Rio primers and from what I've seen, they are on the hot side and appear to develop some rather high pressures. They are also slightly oversized and may cause a few problems in that regard. With all of that said, I use quite a few of them and have adjusted my powder charges accordingly and do not try to load a standard primer back in a hull that has had a Rio. I shoot a gas pipe and it's a real pain when one falls out of a hull.

14. oletymer

oletymer Member

Fiocchi makes ammo in the US but all the primers I bought say made in Italy.

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Dan,

I've been using them in Michigan for about 2 years now. Never missed a beat going from Rems or wins. It does appear they may be slightly hotter, but, I load 17.5 gr Claydot, or 17.2 Clays with both 1-1/8 and 1 oz, and have not had problems.

I don't worry about the 'resizing' of the case. your not going to go back to anything else withing 10 reloadings or so anyway.....

see the above website for loading info.

Jim Chapman
    Michigan

ps, how's your dad doing? I still shoot his super x1...

16. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

If Rio primers are the same things they put in Rio shells you couldn't give them to me. Seemingly the steel used in the shot cups varies in hardness from batch to batch.

I've shot maybe 60 cases of Rios with no misfiring problems. I just bought a new lot of ten cases and am getting one or two misfires per box. The primer is substantially dented but no bang. On the second try they always go off.

Based on this experience (and I am not alone on this) I will never use Rio primers on reloads.

That's just one experience and one data point.

Smash Em,

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

are fiocchi 616 primers the same size as cheddite primers

are reo hulls the same as cheddite hulls

are rio primers the same as chedddite

cheddite primers in rio hulls

cheddite vs rio primers

rio primers vs cheddite primers

rio vs fiocchi