1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RIO PRIMERS, ANYONE USE THEM? NEED INFO.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Tracer, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tracer

Tracer Member

I have a chance to buy 100,000 RIO primers fairly cheap. Has anyone used them or know what they compare to? Are they a differen't size then standard 209's?
    I never have seen them out here in the west before. Thanks, I appriciate the info. Del

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Hi Del,

They are larger diameter than the standard 209 and will enlarge the primer pockets of any standard hulls you load them in. They will work in the UEE and Nobel Sport hulls which are usually loaded with the oversized primers from the factory.

These primers seem to be on the hot side, maybe a little more so, in some loads, than the Federal 209A or CCI209M. They have to be for the loads with single based powders that UEE manufactures. Cold weather performance is an issue with those powders.

They are also not very consistent, according to some of my primitive tests. They do go bang and make the stuff go out the end of the barrel. My problem with them is the lack of data.

I would recommend that you get in touch with Kevin at Downrange and ask his opinion of them. I believe he has tested quite a few and might be able to add a little data to the mix.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I would load a box of shells with them before buying 100,000 to see if my reloading machine liked them. Recently had problem trying to seat Chedites in Rem. hulls. HMB

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

I loaded about 25 thousand of them and I have stopped using them. They do enlarge the primer hole but the worst problem that I found was a very soft primer cup, with faster 1oz (1250) and "normal" 1 1/8 oz loads (1145)I would get a lot of pierced primers (about 3-5 per 100). This occurred with several different shotguns so I suspect that it was pressure issues rather than firing pin problems. I loaded them using FED 209A data and none of my loads should have been over 9500psi.

--- Chip King ---

5. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

Never had a problem with them in 15,000 plus, but I don't shoot much in cold weather. (Shot through a K-80 and a KX-5, never pierced a primer). RIOs are slightly oversized and they take a bit more effort to seat in a hull the first time.

Also never noticed any *perceptible* variability, which isn't to say they may not be more variable than other makes, but I haven't chronographed any RIO loads. Anyway, since the price has risen to nearly the same as Cheddites, I've gone back to those. Cheddites aren't oversized and supposedly are among the most consistent primers available.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy RIOs for a good price. [shrugs] Just don't push the upper limits for pressure, particularly when substituting without specific data.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If the price is right, buy them. I have also bought a quantity of them, and they work very well. They have about the same velocity variation as most factory ammo.

I have shot them in Perazzi, Krieghoff, Browning, Remington, SKB, etc with no issues. I prefer to load to over 9000PSI, but not much over 10,000PSI.

They are oversized, but as pricey as domestics are, who cares? I have a substantial amount of UEE and Nobel hulls. Also, when I do load Remmy and Federal hulls, no problems with them. I have loaded AA hulls with no issues, but do not care much for the new type hull.

My Mec 9000's with new feeds work as well with these primers as any, and better than Remington and Federal primers.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I don't worry about them being oversize. At 100,000 how many shells are you going to go back to Rem/WW primers with???

Worked well for me using 16-17.5 gr claydot with 1 oz and 1 1/8 and downrange wads.

Jim
    Michigan

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I picked up 35,000 of them a few years back when they were $82 a case. Went through over 13,000 so far with no FTF's you might see a few per 100 with the white cover missing over the flash hole but its no problem.

9. Tracer

Tracer Member

What a great bunch of guys!! A really big "thanks" for taking the time to answer my questions. Cost is $8.00 per thousand. Sounds like a good price to me. I have been using Cheddites and liked them well but they are scarce out here. I wanted to share them with the guys at the club but before I did, I wanted to know a little more about them.
    Thanks again, Del

10. Cray

Cray Member

Tracer: I had a lot of trouble loading remington hulls with my PW. First, primers would not feed without sticking. Second, because they are larger in diameter, I had to force the handle to seat the primer. After loading 500, I sold the rest at a discount. Just my two cents. Cray

11. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

My Kolar would pierce Rio primers. My 682 GE would not.

$40.00 per case seems, unusual, to say the least.

12. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

A couple guys at my club had problems in cold weather with them. I was told they were a hot primer, can't figure why they blooped in cold weather, maybe it was the PROMO powder?

13. DocJim

DocJim Member

Probably shot 8 or9000 now with never a failure to fire even in cold weather (no bloopers either). I use Federal 209A data and load 7/8 and 1 0z with 700X with velocities of about 1160-1175 fps (chronographed). Very pleased with them.
    AJ

14. coho

coho Member

the bottom barrel of my Winchester select energy quit firing about a month ago and when I got it back from the gunsmith he said it was plugged with bits of metal and other things. He thought the metal was from the primers I was using which were Rios. I haven’t been paying that much attention to the shell after I shoot it but I’m going to look them over better now. if the Rios were the culprit then I’m going to switch to something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.