1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio Primer Trouble

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by eaglewingmangunsmith, Apr 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eaglewingmangunsmith

eaglewingmangunsmith TS Member

Has anyone else had trouble with Rio type 209 primers misfiring? I have about 2 or 3 out of 25 shots where they misfire and show a light firing pin hit? Sometimes if I try it after it misfires it will go but often it's dead.I bought 15 thousand and am very sorry I did as at my club in Tucson you get 27 birds per card swipe and I lose around 2 or 3 birds each round because of these primers. This happens with almost every gun I have to include Ljutics, Perazzia, Mach Ones,Remington 3200 ect. I tried the Clubs brand which is American Primers and they have been 100%. Thanks and God Bless! I am an experienced handloader and it;s not primer contamination of anykind. Any comments would be appreciated! Mike

2. Lewes

Lewes Member

Are these your reloads ? Irv

3. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

Eagle, It is not the primer.I know of at least 8 ro 10 shooters useing them at our club and no problems at all. we all love them.Check to see if toy are seating them to hard.That is all I can think of.I am now into my 7th case and no problems at all. Take a strate edge and check to se if th cassing is beveled in the middle or the primer is seeded to hard and th center is pushed in.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

As Limpy stated, the Rio primers are larger in Diameter and when you seat them in steel base shells the will cause the case to push up and cause a bevel, take a straight edge and hold across the the shell base and prime I bet the base in Concaved.

I have shot ove 40,000 Rios and never a miss fire KNOCK ON WOOD.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

5. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

If you have a friend who happens to have an older loader such as a Pacific or Hornady 266 which supports the case from the inside when priming, then have them load a box for you and see if your problem goes away.

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

If not a concave shellhead, the other problem (because they are slightly oversize) is that they are not 100% seated. When the firing pin hits, some of its energy is used to fully seal the primer, leaving less energy to ignite it.

7. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

never had a problem. hot days or cold.

Shot several thousand 10k plus through my K80, 391, and a 3200 with NO misfires at all.

8. Mike

Mike Member

Several of the folks I shoot with and myself included have had many fail to fires with new Rio shells. A light hit is always observed. If reshot a 2nd or third time it shoots. This is with several different types of guns which otherwise function flawlessly. Also occasionally after shooting a shell, blackened burnt powder is observed on the outside base of the primer, in the middle not around the primer where it seats. I should look with a magnifing glass, I wouldn't be suprised if there was a hole there.

9. guido

guido Member

The sweetness of low cost is long forgotten when the bitterness of poor quality still remains.

Guido

10. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I buy these 100K at a time, and use a MEC press. Never one misfire in many different guns in all four gauges, and several tube sets.

11. 16gun

16gun Member

Eaglewing I've loaded at least 30,000 without a misfire. I just keep hulls separate as RIO's do open pockets. Heck just ship them to me I'll check them out for you. LOL Good luck.

12. Full N. Fuller

Full N. Fuller Member

Light hits are not the fault of the primer, you most likely either have a broken or fouled firing pin or you are seating the primers too deeply. Seating too deeply happens all the time, for various reasons. Rio primers work as reliably as any.

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Smok'n Joe showed me one yesterday where the battery cup had fallen out of the primer, brand new shell, not a reload.

14. eaglewingmangunsmith

eaglewingmangunsmith TS Member

When I get a misfire the outside of the primer is hardly dented. Ran a straight edge across and was flush. Also have had where a total faliure to fire after4 tries( totaly Dead) and primer was not contaminated while loading. Use other primers such as American, Winchester, and Cheddite with no failures at all. I use both a P/W 800B and a Dillon 900SL. Bought these at Sportsmans Warehouse back when last run on components happened and they didn't have anyother brands available. I reload around 500 to 750rds a week. I think I got a bad batch as some of the primers have a paper disk covering the flash hole and some don't? Thank you for your inputs gentlemen! God Bless you all! Mike

15. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Well stated Guido!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

has anyone had trouble with a winchester apex misfiring

rio primer problems