1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio primer Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Portigee Duckman, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

Have any of you Fellas had any experience with Reloading The Rio primer in
    the Rio short base-wad hulls ? What kind of presures can I expect ?
    Any good reloading info out there ?

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Only in aa & sts hulls. Fairly hot. Data on rio's website

3. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

I shoot all RIO's for ATA, so end up with thousands of empties. It is a tough case to load as it has a high inner plastic base wad insert which won't allow most straight wall wads to seat on the powder charge. After talking with RIO and Alliant and doing a lot of experimenting, I found the following:

Forget trying to build a 7/8 oz. load. The ignition just isn't reliable.

The best 1 oz. load that I have found uses the RIO primer, 20.5 gr. of Green Dot, and the CB1100 clone of the Federal SO wad. Velocity is 1200 fps and both pressure and recoil are mild. I've fired thousands of these without any ignition problems.

As for using RIO primers in other cases, RIO told me that I could substitute them for any 12 Ga. target load that calls for the Federal 209A primer. I've loaded them in Estate and Top Gun cases with good luck.

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Notquite 27

I beg to differ with you on 7/8 oz loads. Have been loading the Kemen/Rio hull for years using either the Rio Primer or Noble Sport for bunker. I use either Clays or Clay Dot. Great performance with the Helarco VP05 wad or similar. I have not problem with ignition or seating the wad.

Tom

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I second Tom. These hulls are similar in capacity to the Fed GM. I have had great results using Red Dot, Unique, Solo 1000, Rex, etc.

Use 20-something grains of Red Dot behind a 12SO clone and 7/8 oz shot.

My Caps load is 25 gr Unique, Windjammer, and 1 1/8 oz of shot.

The Rio primer always goes bang regardless of weather. It is similar to the Fed 209A for comparison.

6. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

TBaber,

I just ordered some VP05 wads from Ballistic Specialties and will give 7/8 oz. another try with Clay Dot. How many grains do you drop to get 1200 fps?
    Thanks.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

According to the powder manufacturers, you can never be sure what you'll get from a batch of Rios as the company has the irritating tendency to change the brisance to suit whatever formulation the factory powder happened to be mixed to this month. Only Alliant has published any reloading data for the primers beside Rio and data is old now. Some time after Alliant published that data Rio primers turned from hot to cool and then changed again.

I put them in the same category as Wolf primers... untrustworthy re: pressure unless you want to test each new batch you buy.

Keller

8. goosecall

goosecall TS Member

"Only Alliant has published any reloading data for the primers beside Rio and data is old now."
    Hodgon has more data for Rio primers than Alliant. example: Select any straight wall hull and open the link http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp
    10tenner

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

Not quite 27

Suggest you use BP data. I am reluctant to state a load on this forum but BP data should give you the information you request.

Why so slow? Everything I load for 7/8 oz is 1300 fps or better.
    Tom

10. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

TBaber,

I tried the 1300 fps pocket rocket route. All it did was bring the recoil level back up to that of my 1 oz. loads. I shoot ATA, not bunker because the nearest club is 240 miles away. I've done a lot of patterning with my 7/8 oz. loads, and 1200 fps. gives me deadly patterns for 16 yd. trap.

Thanks for the info on BP. I'll check it out.

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

Maybe that's your ignition problem. Everything I do is 1300+ fps in 7/8 loads.

They just crush birds when I do my part.

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.