1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio Hulls

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jwsesq., Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jwsesq.

jwsesq. TS Member

does anybody know or have info on reloading Rio hulls? are they similar to Fiocchi or Cheddite? any special notes on usage? thanks.

2. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Don't do it, they are junk-2 piece wad!

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Rios will reload ONE TIME...IF...you have the European size primers. US primers are smaller and will fall out.

4. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Guys at the local club here tell me they reload them with 209a's are they feeding me a line here. I've kept some RIO's as they have the brass bottoms. Is it possible to reload them with 209's

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Use the Rio primer. It is hot, similar to the Fed 209A. It is a UEE case, so will take Cheddite load data.

Most Fed GM data will work. I do not load them to maximum pressures. What type of components do you have?

6. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

I loaded some Rio's the other day 16.5 gr. of Promo and a Cheditte primer, 1 oz. of 8's. Worked as well as any other of the cheap hulls. If I remember right it has a 6 pointed crimp that worked acceptably in an 8 pointed crimp starter.

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917
    edited: Oops, forgot to mention that it was a Win. pink 1 oz. wad.
    JB

7. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I have Federal Components WAA-12 wads 1 1/8 charge bar with 3drams of Green Dot. 209a primers I have a few flats of the RIO's as I got them kind of cheap but I have heard both sides as the primers fit or they don't fit. I've been told they need special primers as they are made in europe then I'm told you can just drop the 209a primers and they fit just fine. I don't have that many of them like I said just a few flats but I have also been told the brass bottoms are better than the steel ones .

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Have been loading the Rio hulls for years. They load great provided you use the correct components. Use Cheddite data in the reloading manuals but use UEE or Noble Sport Primers. US 209's will fall out. Load once and throw away. Load only on a Mec Grabber type of reloader. Don't try a PW as wad separation could occur.

TB

9. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

TBaber:

Thank you thats basically what I wanted to know. The 209's will fall out so I'll just dump the Rio hulls as I have tons of once fired Nitro's that were given to me by a very nice shooting friend. I also have tons of the federals to reload. Now I just have to send the reloader to Mec and get it fixed so its useable.

Thanks again

Martin

10. jwsesq.

jwsesq. TS Member

thanks for the info. trying to simplify my reloading life so will avoid these hulls considering how many other hulls i have. i like the way they shoot as factory shells however.

11. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

jwsesq:

I have been told you have to keep them warm for the primers to ignite in the cold weather. I don't know if this is true or not but I have 2 boxes left and I'm going to shoot them this Wednesday night.

12. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

they reload just fine on my PW

13. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Pass 103,

I have a PW also. What TBaber was referring to, I believe, is the PW method of holding the hull and inserting the primer is similar to a metalic reloading press. A MEC uses a ram to force the hull down on the primer. This difference can allow a PW to separate the internal base cup from the hull. I don't shoot or reload Rio's but I do load AA HS hulls. The same issue applies here. I check my barrel for obstruction after each round when using the AA HS loads and visually check the ring around the primer on inside of the hull prior to reloading the AA HS. If it is cracked I toss it. BTW, I find several out of each hundred with cracks.

The issue is not whether the Rio will load on a PW. It is the different strain a PW places on the primer cup which is part of the mechanical connection with the internal base cup and hull.

TBaber may have another reason.

HBT

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

I don't have any other reason other than the fact that a PW does not support the hull in the priming process as well as a MEC, I do believe that a MEC is overall a better loader that a PW mainly because its mechanically simpler and more reliable. When I hear a misfire on a trap field I can almost instantly say "loading on a PW eh" and have the guy say "yes... how did you know".

TB

15. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Ive got a couple of flats of Rio Papers, are these hulls worth saving?

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I don't load them. I have seen quite a few hulls with loose basewads and many that have migrated up into the hull. I have not seen a basewad exit a hull yet, but the possibility is there. These were all on the first firing of the factory shell. I don;t care to risk it, since I shoot a gaspipe. I sent samples of the defective hulls back to Kemen and UEE, as they are the same manufacturer. They didn't seem interested or concerned about it. Whether or not they corrected the issue is unknown, but I will stay away from these hulls until I know for certain that it's been corrected. I have posted pictures of these before and got ridiculed here for being concerned about this. Some of the same person/people telling you to load them. There are SOOOOO many other hulls to load, you can safely pass these up. It's not worth the effort getting the right size primer and checking your barrel every toime you fire a shot. I'd rather concentrate on breaking targets.

17. Baber

Baber TS Member

Here goes Quacker again.... Since he made his "claim" last year one of our club members has been inspecting every Kemen/Rio hull he gets for the Base Wad Separation. We shoot a lot of factory Kemens because we got a deal before everything went haywire and so there are a lot of once fired Kemens available for inspection. In the last year we have not see ONE case of base wad separation in a new hull! This particular individual did say he had one reload that had a dislodged base wad. It occurred during the priming process and was very evident because the hull would not crimp. I saw Quackers photos but I have also see the nearly 100k of these type of hulls that I have reloaded over the last 10-15 years and believe these hull are safe to reload. Quacker does not believe that Rio/Kemens are safe to shoot NEW much less reload. If they were hat bad there would be lawsuits all over the place. These are Cheddite hulls. The largest hull manufacturer in the world. If you use the correct components and data and don't load them to death you won't have problems.

TB

18. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

I load with a P.W. and think TBaber is on to something. I do get a lot of poor sounding loads with some components. Windjammer wads and straight hulls especially. I loaded and shot many Rio hulls with Rio primers and gave up on them as I did have some base separation. There are too many estate and top gun hulls around to mess with Rio hulls. Thanks Bruce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.