1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

RIO hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chichay, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chichay

Chichay Active Member

Anybody reload RIO hulls? Thanks for your input.
  2. hmb

hmb Active Member

You need Rio primers to load those shells. Regular 209s fall out. HMB
  3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Yes. I reload the Rio and Kemen all the time. Great load once and drop. Use Cheddite load data.

Tom
  4. icelander36

icelander36 TS Member

I load Rio shells for back fence shoots. Use Fiocchi primers, DRA 12 Yellow wads and Green Dot powder. Good tight pattern and get a lot of third and fourth shot breaks. I load them twice and then discard them. Tried to load three times but the crimp folds over in funny swirills and crooked pedals. Lyle
  5. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

Due to the high interior base wad, you need to load a bulky powder to avoid bloopers. I use a RIO 209 primer, 20.5 grains of Green Dot with a CB-2100 wad and 1 oz. of #8's. Velocity is 1200 fps, with pressure under 8500. A nice soft shooting load, and I get good breaks back to the 23 yd. line. I don't load them more than once, as the crimps start to go, and I've seen some of the basewads start to move with multiple loadings. For that reason, I only shoot them in break open guns where I can do a visual after every shot.
  6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

When used with correct components, the RIO hull has a case capacity similar to the GM hull.

I had just as soon load these hulls as any of them. As Tom said, load 'em once, and toss 'em.

This way, one is always loading good components in a fresh hull.
  7. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

Lyle, I didn't think you could get 1-3/8's in that hull-with that wad?

Ajax
  8. icelander36

icelander36 TS Member

Ajax, I did not post the weight of the shot or how much powder!!! I use that load from the club house roof shoots. I will tell you tomorrow at cowlitz what weight I am useing. Hint, It is your lead and NW 6s. Lyle
  9. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

Well, Lyle took all my money with those reloaded RIO shell's. I think I should have weighed them. He put them in his left pocket and couldn't stand up straight!

Ajax
  10. icelander36

icelander36 TS Member

Ajax, Vern shoots the same load and won again today. You did not say anything to him about it. You did notice both of us had to stop in the middle of the shoot to replenish shells. That is because we cannot put enough in our shell carriers to go a complete round with out falling down from exhuastion. Hey I remember YOU won again today. What is this?? Are you loading HEAVY loads also. Joe was shooting some loads that made my ears ring and gave me a headache. The man and his wife from Vancouver area were also ringing my bell when they stood next to me. Marty went back to longshot and won again. So tell me what is wrong with loading as much as you can to win!!! Lyle
  11. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

You know, I've never figured out how Joe puts that many grains of Long Shot in that little case!!! These RIO hulls do have a lot of room.

I've heard he cuts the top half of the wad off just to get in all in.:eek:)

Jack
  12. icelander36

icelander36 TS Member

Wow Ajax, Thanks for the Idea. Now I can get more stuff in those Rios. Cutting of those pedals will probably get me enough room for more lead. Now if I can still hold the gun up with all that extra weight you guys and gals will never have a chance. Ok now out to the reloader to see how much I can get into that hull. Lyle
  13. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

Lyle, I've often wondered why they put all those other chambers in the wads for us game shooters. I'll bet a guy could load a 3 inch load in a 23/4 shell if we didn't have all that plastic in the way.

Ajax
  14. icelander36

icelander36 TS Member

Well Ajax.
    As you saw today at cowlitz by cutting down the pedals and removeing the crush section I could get A LOT more powder and shot into those RIOs. Just like loading in the old days with over powder cards and felt wads!!!! Now if I can explain to my wife the black and blue shoulder and black eye is from shooting and not being a smart A## at some bar I will be ok. Ps how the devil do I get all that lead residue out of the barrel. Lyle
  15. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned

Rio hull 37.4 Grs Longshot, Windjammer Wad, Rio Primer, 1 1/8th oz of #6s or #5s 8900psi 1530 fps.

Long Range shootoff shell. Or

Rio hull 34.4 Longshot, WAA12114 wad, Rio Primer, 1 1/4 oz of #6s or #5s @ 1440fps 9200psi.

Long Range Shootoff shell, w/more shot.

Pressures are way below that of a New Winchester AA Super Hdcp shell.

I have a box of each loaded for buddy shoots.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot
  16. icelander36

icelander36 TS Member

Gary,

I load useing 23 grains of greendot, DRA=12 yellow wad 1 1/4 oz Nw 6 in RIO hull 1250 fps over my crono. I was just fishing for comments on all the rest of those posts. Trying to rable rouse some of those hard nose posters. Useing that load with my turkey choke I split three and hogged one today at Copwlitz. Had a shoot off with my friend Ajax that lasted forever it seemed. That load is very gentle on my shoulder and I got more than my share of third and fourth hits from about 40 yards from the trap house. Some of my friends shoot Longshot and they make soo much noise I get a headache just being next to them. Hope you have good shooting. Lyle
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.