1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RIO $49/flat

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Aug 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I was able to pickup RIO 12ga 1 1/8 oz. load today for $49/flat which I thought was a great price. I don't normally buy factory shells because reloading is cheaper but the place where I purchase all of my reloading supplies is out of lead. With need 4 flats of shells for the Westy Hogans shoot in two weeks I grabbed a flat today and was going to get four more but forgot my card at home.

Is $49/flat as great of a price on these as I think it is?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Its not bad at all although RIO's are no Federal Papers or STS/Nitro's. They will work just fine though.---Matt

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I agree they are definitely no STS (which is my shell of choice) but I'm not huge on paying $75/flat for STS when I can get RIO for $49. The local supply place isn't expecting shot in until next Thursday at the earliest so I think I'm going to pick another 4 flats up Monday. That should give me enough for Westy Hogans.

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rich, The blue Rio's are a decent shell. They have 3 percent antimony lead in them the same as Rem's Gun Clubs, but the resizing on these cheaper metal base hulls are kind of sloppy as of late. They have always been known to get stuck in the chambors of some guns (mostly high end). I say shoot a box or two before you load up on them if you can't return them if you do. They will get though your shoot no problem. I have shot a few dozen flats of them and would buy them again if the price was right. Break-em all. Jeff

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I've shot them before but paid $56 or so for them when I used them before. For $49 though I couldn't turn them down, the shop did have Estate and some cheap Federal shells for $49/flat too though.

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Rich, I've shot both Estates and Rio's. Personally, I'd buy the Estates or Federals(most likely the same components) if the price is the same. I shoot the Rio's out of a TMX and an MXL-14 and have about 3 shells out of every box not just drop into the chamber. I have to put light pressure on them to get them completely in the chamber. Just my experience.

Shoot well,
    Steve

7. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

They were selling these shells last week at the Cardinal Center in Ohio for $46.00 plus tax.

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

FYI

Last week in Southern PENN. they were $47.95 for any 1 ounce Rio load. $48.50 for any 1 1/8 oz Rio load.

9. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

With the premium Remington's and Winchester's at 48-50 a flat after the rebate there is no reason to buy anything elase in my view. And i shoot the Rio Top Trap shells a lot. There is just simply nothing better than the big three.

10. k80bav

k80bav Member

Rich, where did you purchase these shells?

11. riss6270

riss6270 TS Member

Rich219
    I am in Myrtle Beach and was at bass pro tues they had a sale on STS. They were 12 ga 2 3/4 1 1/8 2 3/4dram for 69.90flat. plus rem. is doing 2 bucks back on each box of shells up to $100. Thats pretty cheap.

12. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

Rich219, enjoy. I believe you paid a very fair price for these shells. This blue hull shell is just fine, they shoot through my Kolar as well as my Bill Cole gun just fine.

Remington STS is my fav., but I'm mad as heck at them. Their rebate being limited to $100.00 per houshold is pure BS!!!!!!!!!! Sure a man can work his way around the system, but that just makes a lier out of myself. What kind of message does that show the kids at the gun club??? Let alone if you have other people at home that looks up to you!!!!

Dont allow me to take ya' down the wrong road, I'm no Saint, we all know this is true. But on this I will make a stand.

When my Rem hulls are spent from reloading in a few months, RIO will be in my bag as the shell of choice.

Matt Nicol

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Rich, for the same price I would buy the Estates all day long and never look back. The Estates have 5 percent antimony lead, even if they have the odd smell to them. Break-em all. Jeff

14. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I bought them at Beikirch's in East Rochester.

I would buy the STS shells (they are my favorite) but I don't want to spend $70/flat now and wait for the $20/flat rebate for 3 months.

I prefer to reload and never buy factory ammo unless I can't get components or time to reload but have grown to like Rio shells when I need economy shells. I'm used to paying $55-56/flat for them so $49/flat was a nice surprise.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.