1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RIO 209 shotshell primers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gunsmoke77802, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunsmoke77802

gunsmoke77802 TS Member

Has anyone used these RIO 209 primers? Any load data comparisons or info on how they fit AA & Rem grn tgt hulls? I see them advertised for good prices but I have no idea how they compare to WW209's or Cheddites. I only load mild trap loads, 7/8 & 1oz loads.

thanks

Jay

2. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

They are a good hot primer, similar to the Fed 209A, slightly cooler. Ben

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I bought 100K of them, since I have a virtually unlimited supply of Diana, Rio and Kemen hulls. I like them, load them in everything, and would only use them if I had the choice. They are HOT, and don't give cold weather problems. They have gone up a bunch since I bought my mother lode. ;^(

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Let me add this about Rio primers...

I just got the data back from my 4th round of tests using Gun Club hulls, Rio primers, Clay Dot powder and Figure-8 wads. Rio primers prove a good bit hotter than Federals if manufacturer data is to be believed. My samples are small but the accumulated data from several rounds of tests shows clear and consistent trends.

Assuming that Clay Dot powder is interchangeable with Clays (as Alliant says it is), I loaded 5 shells with 16.8 grains of Clay Dot and 5 with 16.5 grains. The Hodgdon data for Gun Clubs/Federal 209A primers/Clays powder/Fig. 8 wads shows 16.9 grains of powder producing 1145 FPS and 10,700 PSI. My data for Gun Clubs/Rio primers/16.8 grains Clay Dot powder/Fig. 8 wad produced velocities from 1170 to 1194 FPS and pressures from 10,680 to 11600 PSI. I had to lower the powder weight to 16.5 grains to get velocities from 1160 to 1190 FPS and pressures from 10,810 to 11,410 PSI.

Using the same components with 1 oz. of shot, 17.2 grains of Clay Dot and TGT, CB and Downrange wads yielded velocities in the mid 1200s and pressures in the low 10000s. It appears that the Rio primer is better suited to pushing lighter weights. Increasing the powder charge weight by .5 grain increased the pressures but did not increase the velocities significantly.

My next round of tests will use (1) 16.1 grains of powder with the same components and (2) 16.8 grains of powder under a Windjammer wad (OEM) as Hodgdon reports lower pressures with more powder at 1145 FPS using the Windjammer.

Rio primers will enlarge the primer pocket.

Morgan

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

Go here, then compare data with the loads for the primer you want to use.

http://www.rioammo.com/images/ReloadingData209RioPrimers.pdf

6. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

My tests using Clay Dot powder and the data in the Rio chart produced results different from what Rio reports. Their data indicates a pressure of 11,580 psi (80 psi excessive) from 17.5 grains of powder in a Remington hull with a Remington wad. My tests substituting only Clay Dot powder, produced pressures in the mid-12,000s psi. I am at a loss to understand why Rio would publish data for a load when its pressure exceeds the SAAMI test maximum unless they expect loaders to guess at how much lower they have to drop powder weights to get safe pressures.

Morgan

7. quicky

quicky Member

I use RIO's in a Rem Gun Club hull with a .430 bushing and 7/8 oz. #9 shot for 1st shot of doubles. The RIO primer stopped the 1 in 10 or so of the Fiocchi's that would fall out of the Gun Club hulls. Seems some primers pockets are a little larger than others. I really like the RIO primers and yes, the price has really gone up. Suspect the falling value of the dollar has much to do with it. Great first shot load, BTW. Quicky, 3604522

8. Shoot-at-em

Shoot-at-em TS Member

I've had trouble with RIOS Primers fitting into Remington hulls. They go in the AA and Universal hulls just fine. I've even tried using them in Remington hulls that have been loaded several times. I use Federal Primers for Remington's. Anyone else have this problem?

Frank

9. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Rios are a tight fit in Remington hulls the first time they're used because the bases are steelbut they fit well for me after that. AA hulls are brass and softer so they don;t offer as much resistence.

I do not use Federal primers in Remington hulls because they're the only primer that doesn't seat flush with the face of the brass and I'm not interested in adjusting my P-W to make them do so.

Morgan

10. Dr. Honk

Dr. Honk Member

I have shot about three thousand of these primers. I have had several "light loads" that I contribute to there being no seal over the primer hole.
    Has anyone else experienced the same problem?
    I have been culling out the primers with no white seal over the primer hole and will return them to the dealer this coming season.
    Other than that, I feel they work well.

Dr. Honk

11. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I too have had quite a few (about 10 in 1000) without the primer hole uncovered. At 1st I was annoyed and used to seperate them out from the others. I use International Clays and think that that powder is too big to get in the hole or to interfere with igniting the powder. So far I've never had a light load or misfire using RIO primers. I may be just lucky.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use REX I and Solo 1000. I have used Solo since it came out. I have tried other powders, but always seem to come back to good old, reliable Solo 1000

I have not had a single problem with the Rio primer. Rising prices are going to cause me to stray to the Nobel Sport.

13. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"I have shot about three thousand of these primers. I have had several "light loads" that I contribute to there being no seal over the primer hole. Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I have been culling out the primers with no white seal over the primer hole and will return them to the dealer this coming season."

I have used thousands of Rio primers and have found maybe 2 dozen with open flash holes. I have loaded them but marked the shells to determine if they were misfiring and none did. That being said, I use flake powder rather than granular.

Through my testing I've come to realize that the reason there is no meaningful data for Rio primers is that it is pointless to try to generate reliable data for unreliable (inconsistent) primers, and the bargain primers being imported now (Rio, Fiocchi etc.) are even more inconsistent than they were in the past...$ vs. $.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
rio 209

rio 209 primers

rio 209 shotgun primers

rio primer load data

rio primers in remington gun club hulls

rio primers reloading data
rio shotgun primers
rio shotshell primers