1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rio 12 ga. shells - YOUR INPUT PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shannon391, Aug 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They hit targets hard with low recoil, I like them for warm weather shooting.

2. dzeh

dzeh Member

I've shot them. Not bad for the price. A little more felt recoil than a comparable Federal Target load in my opinion. There have been comments about their performance in cold weather. Had a couple misfires myself when it was in the low 40's. I'd buy them again. There are three kinds of target Rios I think...Star, Trap and Competition if my memory serves me. Which often lately it doesn't.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

They seem to work well for many shooters. The velocity printed on the box has been exaggerated on the few I have tested. That would explain the lower recoil that many experience with these shells. At lower temperatures, they do slow down a bunch.

Pat Ireland

4. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I have shot about 20 flats of them this summer and all went off just fine. No off sounding shells and they will smoke targets. It is better than I can say for the new AA's my friend was shooting this weekend. We had a 100 bird race and he had 3 dudes with the 2 3/4 dram red AA's. (wad cleared the barrel but no chance of breaking the target) He broke 96 with 3 dudes...pretty unfortunate I would say.

Mark Rounds

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

i'd rather shoot top guns, remington gun clubs, estates, or win super targets (all are within a buck or two of one another, and within the rio's, so why bother w/ import junk?).

6. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

skeet man

I'll tell you why I shoot the Rios. Granted, I have not disassembled and checked thousands of gun clubs or estates, but I have checked plenty of them. The gun clubs I checked had closer to an 1oz. of shot than 1 1/8oz. The estates had the worse looking shot I have ever seen. They had to be some kind of hand poured shot.
    All the Rios checked out right on 1 1/8oz. and the shot looked very good!

Mark Rounds

7. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

They are actually made in the U.S. now, Tennessee I think.

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I have heard also that they are being made in Tennessee. At least, that is their business address. If you have a Missouri Fall Handicap Program, turn to page 43. There is the Rio ad. Lists address:

Rio Ammunition

5892 Highway 230 W.

McEwen, TN 37101

Wasn't McEwen where they used to make the old Solo1000?

Matt Woodson

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

No problems with the Rio's. Many more problems with the Rem Gun Clubs, misfires, etc...

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Rio is owned by UEE of Spain. They also own Kemen Ammunition, and I think the Rio's made here in the U.S. are made at the Kemen factory in Texas. We sell a lot of them at our club, no complaints that I know of. Wayne

11. Hauser

Hauser Member

Im on my second group of 40 flats. Good shells.

Jerry Hauser

12. shamlin

shamlin Member

Shot my first flat at the Cardinal Classic. Compared to the big boys, they break just as hard with a little less recoil. I really liked them.

13. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Big Mikey:

Check your private messages.

sissy

14. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

I bought a 100 flats of green top sporting and have shot 92 flats. I had one shell fail to fire and about 6 didn't eject like they should. I used the rim of a shell to hook the ones that didn't eject and thay poped out. I think they are a great shell. Larry

15. primed

primed Well-Known Member

I tried them a few years back, the blue ones. They like to stick in my chamber for reasons unknown. Had to pull many out manually. Pain in the butt.

Bob

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

A lot of shooters use them and don't seem to complain. They seem to break targets. Since observing numerous base wad migrations when firing factory loaded shells, I stopped using them. I never saw a basewad exiting the shell, but I shoot a gaspipe and don't want to take the chance. After contacting the manufacturer about the issue, they didn't seem too concerned about it. I also had many "off sounding" loads in colder weather. Chronographing some, they showed a marked drop in velocity in the affected shells. Even the normal sounding loads were quite a bit slower than they would have been at warmer temps. I used some that were kept at a warmer temperature for comparison. I haven't bought or fired any of the UEE manufactured ammunition since then. There are some shooters that swear by them and some that swear AT them. You may see a few of the former start the flame war.

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=IMG_0138cropped.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen4.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen3.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h79/nospoda/?action=view&current=Kemen2.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

Quackshot

I think that is pretty common with any hull that has a separate base wad. I have checked many kinds of shells and they all do it including AA's.

Mark

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mark

I've never seen a AA hull with a migrated wad. I've loaded MANY thousands of them. Haven't seen a Fiocchi hull do it either. Do you have any examples to share, or is it just hearsay? These hulls are the ONLY hulls I have seen over the last ten years, that have had such an issue. Note the different "brands" of hulls. Rios, Kemen, Wolf, Mirage, etc. I found many examples without much trouble. I stopped looking, since I won't reload them.

19. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I sometimes shoot the blue ones, because they shoot like my reloads IN THE SUMMER. In cold weather, though, they are a whole different story, and I don't have the time or inclination to worry about keeping my shells warm.

20. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I tested the 24 gram Rio Top Trap a few times and found they patterned very well; a tremendous value for the money.

I tested the high-end RIO Pro Team Professional and they were a RIO embarassment. Box said 7 1/2's, the poor quality shot measured 8 size. Patterns were pretty bad and the shell kicked like a mule, considering the velocity. Maybe my one case came from an Ooops! lot.

Looks like RIO Top Traps are the way to go...

- - Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.